Fri, Sep 20, 2:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Slightly Confused About Morphs & Magnets

Darchind ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 1:18 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:24 PM

Hi all,

I've been reading tutorials on creating morphs with magnets. I fully grasp the whole procedure with setting the magnet base, the magnet zone and designating which elements should be affected.

I have deformed the elements of the figure the way I want, but I'm confused about what I should do next.

Once I have the elements of the figure deformed (e.g.: sides of jacket opening), how do I "save" it as a morph so that it appears as a parameter dial?

These tutorials have me confused. Any help would be more than appreciated.

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 1:48 AM

With the morphed actor selected go to Object > Spawn Morph Target.

Then when you save the figure/prop/scene the morph will get saved within the file.

Darchind ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 1:53 AM

When you say "morphed actor", do you refer to the entire figure? For example, if I deformed Victoria 4 with magnets, do I select Victoria 4 > Body and then go to Object > Spawn Morph Target?

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 2:10 AM

If you want to create a full body morph then ensure that the required figure is selected in the scene. It will not matter which particular part is selected just ensure that the right figure name is visible top left of the preview window. Then go to Figure > Create Full Body Morph.

If you wish to create a morph on a single body part or prop ensure that it is the selected actor in the scene. You'll see it noted as the second name top left of the preview window. Then go to Object > Spawn Morph Target.

Hope that clarifies.

Darchind ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 2:51 AM

Thank you very much. That clarifies it all.

If you're interested, this is the bath towel I made in 3DS Max with the help of Mytilus, a good friend of mine and an author/vendor here in Renderosity. I used his Pretty Base model for the Victoria 3 figure for my practice:

http://www.imperialmovement.com/misc/bathtowel_01.jpg

http://www.imperialmovement.com/misc/bathtowel_02.jpg

I have you and the contributors to these forums to thank for assisting me as well. I wouldn't have gotten this far without you.

Darchind ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 3:57 AM · edited Fri, 05 April 2013 at 3:59 AM

It seems the Full Body Morph isn't working. I created a magnet and designated it to affect the left collar, chest and right collar. I then went to Figure > Create Full Body Morph, but it seems to not have saved the deformation I created with the magnet.

What I was really trying to do here is deform the left collar, chest and right collar, and to have all three morphed by a single dial when I choose the "BODY" element of the actor.

Object > Spawn Morph Target works, but forces me to have to move each dial for each element/body part independently. This means in order to morph the left collar, chest and right collar, I would have to move each dial one by one.

I'm trying to create a single morph dial for all three elements, accessible as a morph dial for the BODY element.

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 7:57 AM · edited Fri, 05 April 2013 at 8:01 AM

What PhilC said about creating a full body morph (FBM), is the correct way to create one.  However in the context of this thread it might seem to suggest that saving a Full Body Morph will save the influence of the magnets. It wont!

Creating a Full Body Morph, won't save the influence of magnets. This is because 'Create Full Body Morph' does not really create a morph, it just makes a master dial/channel to control actual morph channels in the individual actors (body parts), and injects slaving code into expressed morph channels to link them to the FBM channel.

Before you can save a correctly functioning FBM, you need to create the constituent morph channels in the individual actors to be affected. You would then set any morph channels that you don't want included in the FBM to zero, and any morph channels that you do want included in the FBM to a value of one, or some other desired value. Only then would you use Create Full Body Morph.

Which version of Poser are you using?

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 8:53 AM

Let's start from the beginning and do it step by step. The best way to do things will depend on which Poser version you have, and since I don't know which version you have some details must of necessity be left a little vague. It is assumed that you have already deformed the figure with magnets (or whatever). It may be wise to save any magnets, or a backup pz3, before proceeding.

1. If the figure is conformed, unconform it. Zero all rotation of the figure. Zero all morphs including FBMs.

2. Spawn a morph in each actor affected (by the magnets). The easiest way to do this may depend on your version, but in any version you can use 'Spawn Morph Target' (Object menu) on each affected actor. In a case like this, it's probably best to use the same name for each morph channel, eg use the same name "CollarUp" in the chest and the left and right collars.

3. Set all the morphs that you have spawned to a value of one. All other morphs should have a value of zero, and this will already be the case if you followed step one.

4. From the Figure menu, use 'Create Full Body Morph'. Use a descriptive name for the FBM.

5. Set all the morphs to a value of zero. If desired set the FBM to a value of one. Express any other morphs as desired. Memorize the figure. Save the figure to the Figures library.

Darchind ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 11:53 AM · edited Fri, 05 April 2013 at 11:58 AM

Thank you very much. That worked perfectly. The tutorials never were clear about these little details (go figure!).

I am using Poser Pro 2012 64-bit and designing my geometries in 3DS Max 2013.

While we're at it, do you know of any way to group polygons within 3DS Max 2013? AutoGroup Editor is a bit of a hassle with the extra fee for the license, and Poser's grouping tool is rather inefficient. If there's a way to do it in 3DS Max 2013, I'm all ears.

Darchind ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 12:01 PM

Also, if you don't mind, I never got a clear answer from anyone about a question I asked before:

It is a rule that when it comes to bones, the grandparent can follow a child but not a grandchild. How is it that some people are able to get the grandparent to follow the grandchild, then? I have seen this done with clothing for the Victoria 3 base, where some authors have been able to get the hip to follow the buttock or the hip equally. This allows the user to deform the entire hip by simply moving the thigh of the parented figure.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.