Sun, Oct 6, 6:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Join chat while working, ask questions, share info - http://chat.renderosity.com

Zanzo ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 12:07 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 6:20 PM

Join chat

Try to join chat whenever you can, during render times is perfect. You can share what you are doing, show your render preview, get critique, ask questions, answer questions or share general information regarding poser in real time.

JOIN NOW: http://chat.renderosity.com

ATTENTION NEW USERS OF POSER PRO:

If anyone is new to Poser Pro join and I will answer any questions. I'm no expert but I can make sure you know the BASICS so you don't make the same stupid mistakes I did when I first got poser.

Come gain knowledge of things like:

• Lighting
  • IDL
  • SSS
  • Gamma Correction

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 12:18 AM · edited Fri, 05 April 2013 at 12:19 AM

You don't realize chat's been there for years? LOL If people wanted to chat, they'd be in it ;). You'll find regulars mostly. I guess ya can keep asking, but you're preaching to the choir. Besides, the chat rarely turns to 3D....only sometimes. Most ppl are there to meet and make friends with their fellow forumites.

Laurie

Zanzo ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 12:26 AM

I found out about the chat three days ago, I had no idea.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 12:27 AM

Yeah, it's been around a LONG time ;). Even Rendo has tried to get more ppl in it to no avail I'm afraid.

Laurie

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 12:39 AM

I've been here for a long time and just recently noticed chat because it's right there on the main page now instead of hunting for it.  I use Hangout+ instead anyway for showing people how to do 3D stuff.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Zanzo ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 1:18 AM · edited Fri, 05 April 2013 at 1:22 AM

Quote - I've been here for a long time and just recently noticed chat because it's right there on the main page now instead of hunting for it.  I use Hangout+ instead anyway for showing people how to do 3D stuff.

Hangout+? hmmm. I tried googling that, is it like a client side app or an irc chat room?

The best way to advertise is with a little bit of sex appeal which renderosity does already. If you put a render of a nicely rendered, attractive V4 pointing at the "JOIN CHAT NOW", they could get more people to join chat.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 1:32 AM

There's a Hangout button on Google+ if you've been posting videos on YouTube.  Hangout runs in your browser.  Just need a MIC, camera, and earphones is all.

primorge ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 2:26 AM

Christ, are you talking about Scat now Zanzo??!!

Ummm, waitaminute... My bad, I must have misread that.

johnpf ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 3:34 AM · edited Fri, 05 April 2013 at 3:35 AM

I tried Chat for the first time yesterday and, as Laurie says, it isn't packed full of 3d-related topics. I found it was IF the right people (or even just the right one other person) were/was there but mostly it was the "hugs hun" brigade talking about their ailments and woes. But if more people joined then perhaps the 3d-related content might go up, who knows?

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 4:10 AM

I was in there a few weeks ago. I hung out for approximately 10 minutes and not one word was typed in the main chat window. Tells me everyone was PM'ing or whatever you do in there in private. No one greeted me or said anything in public while I was in there, so I logged off and haven't been back.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Zanzo ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 5:06 AM

JohnPF was there and the quality of 3D conversation tonight was great. I always share what i'm doing 3d related.  I'm always offering critique and love getting critique back. Basically you can just go afk, check in every once in a while as a background thing you know. Just come in and share what you're doing and that will start a convo especially with me.

obm890 ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 5:22 AM

Quote - ...there but mostly it was the "hugs hun" brigade...

Too funny! Doesn't that just sum up chat rooms?

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 10:47 AM

and that's bad how? It's just people socializing.

Laurie

Gremalkyn ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 10:50 AM

If you want topic specific chat, use something else and make your own channel.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 10:59 AM

There's an idea

Laurie

johnpf ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote - If you want topic specific chat, use something else and make your own channel.

Is that exactly what you wanted to say? Really? "If you want to talk about 3d graphics subjects, don't expect it on a 3d graphics site; go do it elsewhere"?

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 12:31 PM

Quote - I was in there a few weeks ago. I hung out for approximately 10 minutes and not one word was typed in the main chat window. Tells me everyone was PM'ing or whatever you do in there in private. No one greeted me or said anything in public while I was in there, so I logged off and haven't been back.

or you went in during one of the quiet periods... which is more likely actually. ppl do tend to leave themselves logged in while doing other things like render, cook dinner, sleep, etc.

Saxon3d ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 12:34 PM

i guess the problem is, when a user enters chat with the specific intention of capturing images that are posted in there for WIP's critique , storing said images for their own "personal use" and then preaching about how to issue DCMA's should your copyright be infringed, it starts to feel like an uninvitng place to hang out...just my opinion

FreeBass ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 5:44 PM

I went to Wal-Mart th'other day & they din' have any pink sombreros w/ yellow dingle balls. I tried to ask other customers where to find them, but they were too busy lookin' fer useless stuff like cat food & sensible shoes. And when I tried to tell them the benefits of Day-Glo thong underwear over boxer shorts they all ignored me!

I'M NEVER GOING BACK!!!

WARNING!

This user has been known to swear. A LOT!

FiddleFaddle ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 6:25 PM · edited Fri, 05 April 2013 at 6:26 PM

As one of the "hugs hun" brigade I suppose I'm not one of the right people. Sigh there I go showing compassion and understanding again. Bad me.  Oh well.  And btw those people posting cat pictures can model and render circles around most I've seen. Just sayin...  Maybe a certain few people would benefit from some good classes on art theory from your local college. Art cannot be created by mere settings in a program, there has to be some soul behind it. There is no "ideal" setting for lighting a "sexy" V4. You can tweak skin shader settings till the cows come home and pigs fly, but cold and lifeless is still cold and lifeless. Again, just sayin...

mystmaiden ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 6:35 PM

I have to say I have gotten a lot of good 3d advice and a great deal of help in chat. Do we talk about other stuff, sure. Do we talk about 3d - absolutely and the people there will go out of their way to help if you are polite when asking. If you are rude and offensive right off the git go then you probably won't get many positive results. Furthermore, when you try to corner people into saying your help is more valid than others, likewise, the result will not be positive. Its not a competition, its a chat room. We learn and laugh and share the things we love.

mystmaiden

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 6:53 PM

Went back in yesterday and had my eyes opened to a few things.

I guess the time difference is what got me the last time I went in there. Since I am in Asia most of the year, it's morning here when it's evening in the states and such...

Anyhow, when I have more time to be proper and social, I will visit the chatroom again. It's nice when you are greeted at the door...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 6:55 PM

Also, there's Skype.  I use it mostly with Vue users though, compared to Carrara, Poser, or DAZ Studio users.

FreeBass ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 7:01 PM

Glad to hear yr 1st impression din' sour ya, Rokket  :)

I believe yr right... Most of the regulars are North America & Europe. Only a couple in Asia, so time zones could be a factor. But a lot of us do keep strange hours, so it never hurts to take a peek & say Hi.

WARNING!

This user has been known to swear. A LOT!

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 7:06 PM

Quote - Glad to hear yr 1st impression din' sour ya, Rokket  :)

I believe yr right... Most of the regulars are North America & Europe. Only a couple in Asia, so time zones could be a factor. But a lot of us do keep strange hours, so it never hurts to take a peek & say Hi.

After 20 years in the US Navy and now as a civilian mariner working for the Navy, I have found there is no such thing as 'strange' hours. Only hours where you are active and others are not.... :m_grin:

BionicRooster ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 8:21 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - Yeah, it's been around a LONG time ;). Even Rendo has tried to get more ppl in it to no avail I'm afraid.

Laurie

I disagree Laurie, since the chat room has been updated, it's been busier, more frequently, with less dead times. I woke up at 6am to get ready for work and the room had 15 people in it, talking up a storm.

It may not be as busy as Yahoo chat used to get, but compared to what it was, it's at least 4x more active, and we have acquired a few new regulars along the way :o)

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 05 April 2013 at 8:42 PM · edited Fri, 05 April 2013 at 8:43 PM

And we like new regulars....FRESH MEA.....well, we like new ppl too ;).

Laurie

Gremalkyn ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2013 at 12:55 AM

Quote - > Quote - If you want topic specific chat, use something else and make your own channel.

Is that exactly what you wanted to say? Really? "If you want to talk about 3d graphics subjects, don't expect it on a 3d graphics site; go do it elsewhere"?

Somewhat, yes.  If the goal is to discuss something specific, such as how to retexture a figure, it might be best to set up a channel somewhere and post the time(s) in advance so people who want to discuss/learn more about that topic can do so without having to listen to everything else.  Basically, a members only, members run webinar in discussion format.

That seemed to be the goal of the OP, which initially received mostly negative responses.  Therefore, if site chat was proving (or likely to prove) insufficient for the preferred results then, yes, set up something specific elsewhere.

Gremalkyn ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2013 at 1:24 AM

^

Quote - I tried Chat for the first time yesterday and, as Laurie says, it isn't packed full of 3d-related topics. I found it was IF the right people (or even just the right one other person) were/was there but mostly it was the "hugs hun" brigade talking about their ailments and woes. But if more people joined then perhaps the 3d-related content might go up, who knows?

This was yours. :p

johnpf ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2013 at 3:23 AM

Quote - Somewhat, yes.  If the goal is to discuss something specific, such as how to retexture a figure, it might be best to set up a channel somewhere and post the time(s) in advance so people who want to discuss/learn more about that topic can do so without having to listen to everything else.  Basically, a members only, members run webinar in discussion format. That seemed to be the goal of the OP, which initially received mostly negative responses.  Therefore, if site chat was proving (or likely to prove) insufficient for the preferred results then, yes, set up something specific elsewhere.

Okay, thanks for that more reasoned response. I understand what you mean now.

Zanzo ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2013 at 7:37 AM

I'm currently in the chat trying to figure out how to make my ezskin modifications better. I'm experimenting with putting a nice sheen of specular over skin tied to a bump map. The results are quite good. I'm also experimenting with tieing a subsurface skin node into the scatter scale which seems to soften the look of the skin a bit, but too much seems to bring out the wax look even more.

Gremalkyn ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2013 at 1:09 PM

Quote - Okay, thanks for that more reasoned response. I understand what you mean now.

Perhaps not more "reasoned," just more of it. :)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 06 April 2013 at 5:31 PM

Quote - I'm currently in the chat trying to figure out how to make my ezskin modifications better. I'm experimenting with putting a nice sheen of specular over skin tied to a bump map. The results are quite good. I'm also experimenting with tieing a subsurface skin node into the scatter scale which seems to soften the look of the skin a bit, but too much seems to bring out the wax look even more.

I didn't hear you say anything about waxiness...I must have been too busy hugging the others.

johnpf ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 3:33 AM

Quote - I didn't hear you say anything about waxiness...I must have been too busy hugging the others.

and that's bad how? It's just you socializing.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 3:37 AM

Exactly. But then some aren't cut out for socializing.

Laurie

Zanzo ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:06 AM · edited Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:07 AM

I've been in the chat for 3-4 days now.  Unfortunately I see why no one joins. 90% of the chat is plagued with utter nonsene, but 10% of the time you actually see people discuss 3D. On a business level it's not right to use Rendo's chat room for your personal discussion, the chat is there for renderosity & 3d related discussion not to talk about how about how much you love your cats. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that casual talk sometimes, but when 90% of the time people discuss nonsense it's no good.

The solution is for renderosity to either enforce 3D only discussion or create a separate chat room for "casual socializing".

I'm still going to go into the chat but most likely start blocking people with  no desire to improve their renders, who don't care about the quality of their renders and only use the chat to talk about justin bieber.

However there are some in the chat room who do use it properly so it's not a total waste. You just have to filter out a lot of worthless chat.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:15 AM

And who are YOU dude? Rendo staff? It's not YOUR chat. Why don't you ask the powers that be for your OWN chat room. I'm sure you'll get plenty of time to talk to yourself.

I'm done now ;).

Laurie

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:19 AM

Quote - I've been in the chat for 3-4 days now.  Unfortunately I see why no one joins. 90% of the chat is plagued with utter nonsene, but 10% of the time you actually see people discuss 3D. On a business level it's not right to use Rendo's chat room for your personal discussion, the chat is there for renderosity & 3d related discussion not to talk about how about how much you love your cats. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that casual talk sometimes, but when 90% of the time people discuss nonsense it's no good.

The solution is for renderosity to either enforce 3D only discussion or create a separate chat room for "casual socializing".

I'm still going to go into the chat but most likely start blocking people with  no desire to improve their renders, who don't care about the quality of their renders and only use the chat to talk about justin bieber.

However there are some in the chat room who do use it properly so it's not a total waste. You just have to filter out a lot of worthless chat.

block me right off then please.... or just leave. your choice. I'd go with leave.

Zanzo ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:23 AM · edited Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:26 AM

Quote - And who are YOU dude? Rendo staff? It's not YOUR chat. Why don't you ask the powers that be for your OWN chat room. I'm sure you'll get plenty of time to talk to yourself.

I'm done now ;).

Laurie

Set your bias aside and don't take any of this personally. I'm sure you'll agree there needs to be two chat rooms.  It's not fair that I have to look over at the chat and filter 20 statements that have nothing to do with 3D just so I can see someone ask a question who wants to improve their renders.

To everyone else who is discouraged by the chat room, please come back. We can generate a list of people to block. This essentially will create two chatrooms in essence.  This way the people who want to talk about their cats all day can and the people who want to talk about rendo, 3d related discussion can also do so.

TheMentalDude ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:31 AM

just go to chazty and make your own - simple

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:32 AM · edited Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:32 AM

ok... can everyone please block Zanzo, that way we can have the 2 room system...

see. it works both ways dude... and I know who'll be blocked and who won't be. bye bye Trollboy, your going to get very lonely talking to yourself.

see. there were 2 chatrooms. no one used the other one. but hey. you did'nt want to know....

Zanzo ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:38 AM · edited Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:40 AM

Quote - just go to chazty and make your own - simple

So when I joined renderosity chat room to discuss 3D and rendo related topics, you're saying I should instead go to a separate website and make my own chat room to talk about 3D & renderosity related topics?

scratches head

This logic is exactly what I have to put up with in the chat lol.

Quote - see. there were 2 chatrooms. no one used the other one. but hey. you did'nt want to know....

This is a productive argument, thank you. The chatroom you join by default should be for 3D related discussion only, the other one you can optionally join should be for casual conversation. This way new people who join won't be turned off by the enormous amounts of casual conversation.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:42 AM

you don't read much do you?

read the line you quoted again. No. One. Used. The. Other. One.

got it yet?

Zanzo ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:44 AM

Quote - you don't read much do you?

read the line you quoted again. No. One. Used. The. Other. One.

got it yet?

All you need is a moderator who would regulate the default chat and move people who talk casually to the other one. I'd be happy to do this job without bias or without hurting anyones feelings.

Plutom ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:51 AM

There is plenty of help for people who want and ask for it.  Just because there is thread on other problems folks have DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU CAN'T START ANOTHER THREAD and simply ask for help.  The statement that "no wonder no new folks stay" is absolutely false.  We have plenty who do.  Jan

ghostman ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 8:51 AM

Headdesk! :ohmy:

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

Saxon3d ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 9:02 AM · edited Sun, 07 April 2013 at 9:05 AM

I'd just like to point out for the record, that i have never discussed Justin Bieber (allegedly), I have never used chat for critique or opinion, sorry I meant to say I will never use chat to gain opinion from image borrowing trolls , with delusions of grandeur. Just my opinion, cut and paste, geesh I thought all that sorta drama ended with the death of excite chat in around 2003.................

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 9:04 AM · edited Sun, 07 April 2013 at 9:11 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

and you don't get WHY you get this reaction do you?

you've genuinely pissed us off. you came in, threw your weight around, insulted ppl, argued pointlessy, then came in here and tried to paint everyone as assholes.

and then you cry foul when you get the reaction above and wring your hands and go, oh look and poor wronged me.

and you wonder why? this is a community. and right now, you're turning it against you.

if I was to come across you on a "business level" .... I'd walk the other way and look for someone with interpersonal skills and an idea of how to deal with ppl. things you cannot do.

TheMentalDude ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 9:10 AM

oooooo way to strawman and cherry pick your quotes, do you know what context is? I guess you do as you are going out of your way to post things out of it, you have driven more people out of that room in the few days you have been there due to the points posted above

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 1:14 PM
Site Admin

You know, there is a problem with restricting chat to primarily 3D that no one has pointed  out yet. We all use different programs. Too many things are different in the different programs so people get left out. There have been times I've gone into chat and people are discussing zbrush and since I don't have that I'm kind of left on the sidelines. There are other times when I ask a question about poser but there's no one there who uses it so it goes unanswered. The Forums are a great place to be discussing 3D because we can go the threads we are specifically interested in, or at least might be meaningful to us and let us have more of the OT stuff in chat where people from all programs come together.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sun, 07 April 2013 at 1:29 PM
Forum Moderator

...and to add, when someone does come in with a question, we put our current conversation on hold, and answer any and all questions we can.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.