Tue, Sep 24, 8:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 6:31 am)

Subject: Losing head morphs on save with WarOrc

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2013 at 7:04 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 8:19 AM

I've run into a really unusual problem that i haven't experienced before and makes absolutely no sense. It involves GhostofMacbeth's War Orc model.

So i import a fresh michael 4, then morphs++. Then i go inject the war orc's head morph and body morphs which automatically apply. Then slap on his texture. Now if i'm working with this model alone and save him, he retains his head morph. However, whenever i import certain figures, like another michael 4 into the scene, and save it, the warorc loses his head morphs. This happens whether i save the scene into a pz3 file, or save the figure into "figures" library.

How can simply importing another figure into the scene affect WarOrc's head morphs? I'm at a complete loss here. 

Now i did use this figure pre-poser pro 2012 SR3.1, and i never had this problem before. I should also mention that when i was customizing the warorc before, i un-hid some of his upper/lower jaw dials with D3D's unhide script and scaled them, but i highly doubt that has anything to do with this problem.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on or how to fix this? So far, it seems to be isolated only to the warorc model. This is probably the strangest problem i've seen in poser since i started using it.

As mentioned above, i'm using poser pro 2012 SR3.1

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2013 at 7:32 AM

file_493883.png

Here's the warorc saved when hes alone. He retains his head morphs.

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2013 at 7:34 AM

file_493884.png

And this is what happens when i import another michael 4, save the scene, and re-open it.

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2013 at 7:54 AM

*Extra note - This happens whether or not "external binary morph targets" is checked in the general preferences.

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2013 at 8:20 PM

I guess nobody else has this problem X.X

Got home and did a little more testing.

The good news about this is that i checked the head morphs, and all the morphs and settings for morphs++ aren't actually lost, they all are still set. It seems like i'm only losing the injection morph of the head for some reason. When i re-apply the head morph, it goes back to normal.

So ummm....anyone got any clue to why this is happening? I'm gonna just assume it's a bug in poser pro SR3.1, kinda like the freak 4 shoulders bug.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2013 at 8:20 PM

The workaround I used is load the morphs and afterwards memorize the figure.  Introduce your second M4 into the scene.  Save.  Load a new scene, then reload your saved pz3.  That should fix the problem.

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2013 at 8:46 PM

hborre: Oh nice. Were you able to re-produce the same problem?

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2013 at 8:54 PM

Yes.  And as you noticed not all the body morphs reset.  I am only imagining that the facial features are custom and not connected in any way with dial spun morphs.  Having a second unmorphed M4 just resets the everything back to base when saved perhaps because of some crosstalking between the figures.  By memorizing the morph before saving, I embedded the changes into the figure so it correctly loads back with the scene is reimported into Poser. 

I would look into it further, but decided to render the couple.

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2013 at 9:19 PM

Ahh, yeah that makes sense. But what's weird is that it didn't happen pre-SR3.1. I'm guessing it's the scaling fix they included that caused some of these other minor problems. I'm just gonna memorize then to make sure the morphs stay in place. Thanks for the help =)

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2013 at 12:36 PM

Hmm, it worked on a fresh load of M4, but on the scene i was already working on, i still lose the morphs on the war orc head after memorizing and saving :X Is my only option right now simply re-apply the war-orc head morph?

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2013 at 3:04 PM

ATM, that seems to be the only option left.  Will have to investigate why this particular morph does not cooperate with scene saving.  You can always email GOM; he does view the forum every so often.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2013 at 8:57 PM

Just getting back to this a moment.  The same issue appears after introducing a third M4, saving the scene and reopening.  I looked at the parameters panel for the head and found the morphs still for the figure, however the dials were reset to zero (head, lower jaw, upper jaw).  For all three haed parts mentioned, I reset the dial values to 1 to activate the morph, but after each reset, I also right clicked the dial and memorized the morph value.  Afterwards, a fourth M4 was introduced into the scene, the file resaved, Poser rebooted, and the scene reopened.  This time the Orc remained an Orc.

I believe the solution might be to go to each dial for the head morph and memorize the individual affect parts.  That would be the head, the upper jaw and the lower jaw.  If you do any custom changes, I would recommend spawning a new head morph and memorize those dial values before saving.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2013 at 10:37 PM

It sounds like crosstalk, I am aboit to go to bed but I will look at it tmorrow.

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2013 at 10:57 PM

hborre: Yeah, right now what i'm doing is completeing my war orc character, then saving him with nothing else in the scene. This way my figure is saved in case something goes wrong. Then when i'm ready to use him, i just add the other characters i'm gonna use. I save that new scene with the extra characters as usual, and if i ever have to use it again after rendering, i just re-inject the warorcs head.

Another weird thing is that when i undid the warorc head injection, he still kept the war orc head X.X This is definitely an issue with SR3.1, because i used the war orc a lot before that and never had any problems.

Ghostofmacbeth: Thanks! Whatever is causing this only affects your war orc character. I also have your "creatures: goblin hero" and "creatures: war hero", and those don't have any problems as far as i can tell. It also only affects the head morph. The body morph of war orc remains after a save.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2013 at 11:05 AM

I get the same issue and I am current on the SR.  As GOM posted, it sounds like a crosstalk problem.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2013 at 6:35 PM

So, I have an in an out of poser test and I have found the same thing. I did find a sort of work around but I am not sure if it works for you. I will look deeper but I loaded the first M4, loaded the morphs and textures, loaded the second and saved. Open it back up and sure enough the orc is defaulted in the head but if you go to the body and turn the morph to 0 and save it and quit and then turn it back to 1 it will stick and you can come and go. I will look at it more but I have something wrong with my eye and it is a bit hard to look at the code. But I will try tonight.

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2013 at 7:29 PM

Ghostofmacbeth: Thanks for looking into this man. It's not your fault. After consulting with various other poser artists and my own testing, it appears there's a bug in Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 that is causing Michael 4 to lose morphs when another michael 4 or any part of another michael 4 (i.e. the head) is loaded into the scene. I'm gonna make a new forum post about this to see what other people's experiences with this are. Take a look at it if ya want, where i will share all the info.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.