Sun, Sep 22, 9:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 4:53 pm)

Subject: Install Renderosity products into DAZ for Mac?

muller252 ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2013 at 1:50 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 9:21 PM

Hi,
How will I go about installing my rdna, and renderosity products into DAZ on the mac, or is it possible without installing windows?

Thanks

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2013 at 1:56 AM

Zip files can be opened on a Mac.  Simply copy the same file structure into your Runtime directory from the installations.

No Windows needed.

-AniMajik

FatCatAlley.net | Now Playing "SpaceCat 5" Parts 1 and 2

muller252 ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2013 at 1:58 AM

Sorry, I'm not tech. What do you mean by 'the same file structure?'

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2013 at 2:43 AM

When you unzip your "zip" file, you'll see a folder that is created.  Open it and if it has a Runtime folder within it (or the folder is called Runtime) copy the contents into the correspoding folder in the "Runtime" folder on your Hard Drive.  Can't find it? Use CMD-F to locate it.

Example:

MyNewProductFromRendo/Runtime/Textures/"someothername"

Copy the contents of the Texture folder into your Main Runtime folder (The one you normally use with DazStudio) into:  MyDriveName/Runtime/Textures   

("MyDriveName" is whatever you call your Hard Drive.

Do the same for all other file folders line Library/Props, Library/Character etc and Geometry folder.   Place them in the corresponding folder.

The contents of the "Textures" folder go in the Textures folder in your main runtime

The contents of the "Linbrary/Props" go in the Library/Props folder in your main runtime

The cintent of the "Geometry" goes into the folder named Geometry in your main runtime, etc.

Hope this make sense to you?

-AniMajik

RLSprouse ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2013 at 12:37 PM

I strongly recommend a little utility program called 'Ditto.'  It allows you to merge the folder(s) in the product you've downloaded into your library, which Windows does easily but for some reason the Mac OS does not.

~ Russ  

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Thu, 25 April 2013 at 1:02 PM

Quote - I strongly recommend a little utility program called 'Ditto.'  It allows you to merge the folder(s) in the product you've downloaded into your library, which Windows does easily but for some reason the Mac OS does not.

~ Russ  

I agree with you, this user might have an easier time with that utility. It's best to learn the file system and structure though, as it will help with understanding of how poser/daz stores files and do troubleshooting later.

Under OS9, there use to be a utility called "Poser Maconverter". I'm not sure if it was ever converted to OSX or not.  It worked great for this very thing.

I usually just manually install all my Rendo/RDNA zips, since I have so many Runtimes  on many drives, it works best for me!

MrWizard1024 ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2013 at 11:12 PM

file_494060.jpg

Trying to show someone an example of actor sliders.  

MrWizard1024 ( ) posted Tue, 30 April 2013 at 11:15 PM

I've found the best solution is WinZip Mac. You select the folder load point that matches your content.  To upload something that starts with "Runtime" you select the "My Library" folder that's one level above "Runtime" -- everything then loads in the correct location.

Quote - Hi,
How will I go about installing my rdna, and renderosity products into DAZ on the mac, or is it possible without installing windows?

Thanks

muller252 ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2013 at 12:28 PM

Quote - I strongly recommend a little utility program called 'Ditto.'  It allows you to merge the folder(s) in the product you've downloaded into your library, which Windows does easily but for some reason the Mac OS does not.

~ Russ  

Hi Russ,

Where can I find Ditto? I've searched, bu no luck.

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2013 at 12:45 PM · edited Sat, 18 May 2013 at 12:51 PM

You already have it. It's under the hood, but you'll need to be adept at using Terminal.

You'll find it under Applications->Utilities->Terminal

Do a:

ditto -help

from the command line for usage options

(Not the best option to use for a newbie, IMHO) unless you are already familiar with Unix.

-AniMajik

muller252 ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2013 at 1:14 PM

This is all I get in terminal:

Last login: Sat May 18 18:52:33 on ttys000
My-Mac:~ Admin$

RLSprouse ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2013 at 4:14 PM

I got the Ditto GUI, and it makes it very simple...  :-)

~ Russ  

muller252 ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2013 at 4:37 PM

Quote - I got the Ditto GUI, and it makes it very simple...  :-)

~ Russ  

You know whats coming next! Where do I get it?

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Sat, 18 May 2013 at 5:30 PM · edited Sat, 18 May 2013 at 5:38 PM

Quote - This is all I get in terminal:

Last login: Sat May 18 18:52:33 on ttys000
My-Mac:~ Admin$

At the prompt, type:

"ditto -help"

(no quote marks)

(The "My-Mac:~ Admin$" is your prompt.  The Terminal is waiting for you to type something.)

The above command, "ditto -help" will show you the options ditto has.

Like I said, not the best idea for a newbie to use, since you have to understand a little about how Unix and your compute's file system works.

Do a google search for "ditto for mac" and you'll see some help as well.

What the poster after my post didn't tell you was that "dittoGUI" is not free, but you can find it here: http://www.ilike.co.nz/SoftwareDev/dittoGUI.html

(But it's only a whopping $2.00, so not so bad.)

Good luck!

-AniMajik

muller252 ( ) posted Sun, 19 May 2013 at 3:25 PM

Hmmm...... I got Ditto, tried to install rdna. i tried to install the files into both poser format and daz studio format, and nothing.

RLSprouse ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 11:08 AM

Did you get the DittoGUI program?  It bypasses all the complexity of using the ditto commands in terminal mode, something I was not eager to delve into.

Here's how I use it, and what works for me.  After downloading a product from Renderosity or RDNA (or anywhere else for that matter, other than DAZ), you will find (usually) a zip file in your Downloads directory.  For example, I recently purchased a new character on Renderosity called Dixie by Sabby on Renderosity.  The download file is called Sabby-Dixie_140013_141177.zip.  What I have done is to create a separate directory I called DAZ Studio Files, and I move the zip file from my Downloads folder into that directory before unzipping.  

Next, double-click the zip file and it will create a new folder, usually with the same name as the zip file, minus the .zip of course.  Or, unzipping may simply produce a file called Runtime. This distinction is important to determine what to do next.

You need to know where your DAZ content library resides.  Mine is in Documents > DAZ 3D > Studio > My Library.  Inside of that, there is a directory called Runtime.  You will use DittoGUI to copy the unzipped product directory into either My Library or Runtime.  If the unzipped file folder is called Runtime, you copy it into your Runtime directory.  If the unzipped fiel folder is called by the product name, like Sabby-Dixie_140013_141177 in my example, copy it into My Library.

So, now you start DittoGUI, and you will see a small window with two boxes labelled Source and Destination.  Drag your unzipped product folder onto "Source" and the target directory (either Runtime or, in my example, My Library) onto "Destination.  Then, click the little "ditto mark" icon right below the lable dittoGUI at the top, and watch the spinning icon for a second or two while Ditto does its thing.

That's it!  Now your product content should be in the right places and will appear in your library next time you run DAZ Studio.  What I do now to clean up, is to trash the unzipped folders from my DAS Studio Files directory, and move the zip files into a subfolder I call "Installed" so they will be there for safekeeping in case I need them in the future. 

By the way, this whole process works just the same way if you are installing into a Poser library, substituting the appropriate directory names, of course.  I use both DAZ Studio and Poser Pro 2012, and this all works great for me.  

Good luck.

~ Russ  

crocodilian ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2013 at 3:03 AM

I highly recommend the DittoGUI program. It is probably the best $2 you'll ever spend.

For whatever reason, Mac OSX has never equalled Windows for drag and drop recursive merging, and it makes me crazy (my workflow was to merge Poser runtimes on a Windows box and then copy the whole merged runtime over to my Mac . . . kludgy and a pain, but better than the alternatives).

For $2, DittoGUI fixes this.

I'd had some problems with an earlier version a while back, but this version works perfectly.

No Mac Poser user who buys content should be without it . . .

false1 ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2013 at 3:03 PM

I use a program called RSR Converter with Poser. It merges and/or converts old RSR files to ping. Should work the same on any runtime folder. Don't remember where I got it though.

My DeviantArt Gallery

My Website

animajikgraphics ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2013 at 3:15 PM · edited Wed, 17 July 2013 at 3:17 PM

Quote - I use a program called RSR Converter with Poser. It merges and/or converts old RSR files to ping. Should work the same on any runtime folder. Don't remember where I got it though.

I use that as well. It's available here:

http://braintrigger.com/software/RSRConv/

It also works on 10.5 (which I still run on one of my MacPros) and runs on newer versions as well (10.7) on my other MacPro.

-AniMajik

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.