Wed, Sep 18, 1:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Credits to a vendor, does it have any sense?

aqua1955 ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 5:23 AM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 6:03 PM

Hi,

I am wondering the last few months if vendors get a message when a design of theirs is used inside the galleries. If not, the credits we make lose their sense.

When I look at all entries that I made, I see almost never a vendor that makes any comment.

It is not meant personel, to someone, but I think that also this is a part for a vendor to show their shop and to get others to buy from it. Beside that I also get to their galleries, when they show us their new characters and from wich it is only a click to go to their stores.

Please tell me if I am wrong with this thought.

Ben aka aqua1955

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 5:39 AM · edited Thu, 27 June 2013 at 5:44 AM

My intent for listing vendor (or freebie maker) credits has been to help other users who may see the image and think "what hair is that!?"

It does also serve as a "thank you" of sorts to the content maker.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 5:44 AM

I'm not sure if vendors get a message or not, but I have had vendors post comments on my images. Some, which I'm 'friends' with after I contacted them to let them know an image is up, but also some have posted remarks without me informing them that I posted an image..... that's in the Vue gallery section, but using poser products in my Vue images. I'm sure there are vendors who are active in the galleries, I'm a vendor and I post comments in the galleries.

Think of it this way, seeing the many images posted each day, it takes a lot of time to keep track and posting comments and all that time is lost making content. Personally, I've stopped visiting the Poser galleries, there are only few images there that interest me, I've seen enough naked or hardly clothed 3D models. I do visit other galleries though and post comments on the artwork.

But if someone gives a vendor credit and the vendor would get notified somehow, I think they should post a comment. But if they do not get notified, it's hard to know. Perhaps someone else knows if vendors do get a email message from Rendo telling them someone credited their items in an artwork.

Personally I don't always credit every vendor, I do it the first couple of times, but after that I hardly do. Sometimes there's so much stuff in my images, that I don't even know who made what.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 7:47 AM

Vendors are busy people - some have day jobs, some are always working on conten - and don't always have time to browse the galleries ;).

I always try to credit a vendor when I can for the reason seachnasaigh mentioned, so that others know what I used and if they like it, can buy it/download the freebie. It's  not required as far as I know, but it is just darn nice ;).

Laurie

Paloth ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 8:50 AM

Freebie creators don't get a message when their product is used in a render and credited. I don't think vendors get a notice either.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 9:00 AM

If you credit a vendor, your image shows up in the gallery on the marketplace page.  They don't get a "notice" but if they check the gallery tab on the product page they can see all the gallery images that credited their product.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 9:07 AM
Forum Moderator

If you click Galleries > By Vendor, you can type in a vendor's name, and it will bring up all images with credits to them.

That's about the fastest way I can see if any of my stuff is used. Or do a general searche for my name, to see if my freebies were used.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 9:09 AM

I can see giving credit to a vendor if you're doing a still image and putting it in the gallery. I, on the other hand, mostly post editions to my web comics Android and Crickett McGuire** (which, I promise I'll get back to eventually). As such, Listing the stuff that I use would rival the length of the comic itself. It's just not practical, especially if I have to do it for every issue.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 11:14 AM

That's why it's not mandatory EClark (and I don't think it should be) ;).

Laurie

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 12:36 PM

I normally credit a vendor if I upload to the gallery, as I was aware that the image appears in the Marketplace.  This is partly as a 'thank you' to the vendor and also in the hope it will give potential customers an idea of how it looks.  I know there are promos but I do think there is some value in seeing the results from an average user, an believe me I mean average.

If I make changes to the item I normally note that in the gallery description or do not credit.  Some of the vendors have commented on my images and which is think is great that they take the time an it implies at least that they like the way I have used it.  I don't expect every vendor to do that as I accept that they are busy, who isn't.  It is nice when it happens though.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

BardicHeart ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 2:09 PM

Just my two bits, but I don't think its reasonable to expect vendors to comment on your pictures just because you gave them credit.   Think of it this way.  Suppose you were a vendor and you made just one item.  Suppose that sold 200 copies.  Now suppose out of that there were 100 people posting images using your item... you'd spend all your time posting c&p thank you notes.   Personally, I'd rather those vendors focus their creative energy on creating more content than trying to come up with creative ways to say thank you to the 1000th person to use their product in an image.

Its nice if they do happen to drop by and post a comment.  Then again its nice if ANYONE posts a nice comment.  Even better if they post a thoughtful comment about what they particularly liked about the image.

As for why I include vendor credits, when I remember to do so (and I admit I don't always do it, I get a lil absentminded... ) its more a courtesy to the vendor and to the visitors.  For the vendors it gives them a little free advertising which helps them along and helps keep that content rolling out.  For the visitors it makes it easy for them to find items I used they might want... sometimes you get a thank you just for that.   Mostly I do it just to be nice, its not about whether I get anything out of it.

But that's just my opinion on it.

dlfurman ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 5:18 PM

Quote - Vendors are busy people - some have day jobs, some are always working on conten - and don't always have time to browse the galleries ;).

I always try to credit a vendor when I can for the reason seachnasaigh mentioned, so that others know what I used and if they like it, can buy it/download the freebie. It's  not required as far as I know, but it is just darn nice ;).

Laurie

What you said ;) and that's why I do when and if I can.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 5:30 PM

I sometimes do a Vanity Search for everything that has listed me in some way :) And then I try to say something nice about the images :) But it's not something I do on a daily or even monthly basis. I do it whenever I feel the need for a virtual pat on my back ;)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

anupaum ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2013 at 11:32 PM

The only reason I post a vendor credit is because I think the vendor has done a really good job on whatever it is I'm using. As someone mentioned earlier, it helps potential buyers see how the product was used. It's a gracious thing to do, and a way of helping vendors advertise their work. I'm happy to do that for anyone who does a good job with the props I use.

moriador ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2013 at 12:50 AM

Quote - I normally credit a vendor if I upload to the gallery, as I was aware that the image appears in the Marketplace.  This is partly as a 'thank you' to the vendor and also in the hope it will give potential customers an idea of how it looks.  I know there are promos but I do think there is some value in seeing the results from an average user, an believe me I mean average.

This is my primary way of discovering items I want to buy, and if an item looks good even in a render of 'average' quality (rather than just in promo shots), it will likely clinch a sale.  I wish more people in the galleries went to the trouble to credit everything, though I know it can be a PITA.  But as a buyer, I appreciate it when they do.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2013 at 1:07 AM

I'm pretty much in moriador's boat on this one.

BardicHeart ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2013 at 2:38 AM

Ditto, I've got quite a few items on my wishlist now I found that way.   One item added to my shopping cart today waiting on my next pay check.  LOL

wlmay33 ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2013 at 9:49 AM

The problem I have with the vendor credits is having to "choose" what products you have from the vendor which are currently on sale.  I like giving the vendors credit for the products I use.  Unfortunately, I have to in the image description most of the time because I (shudder) use stuff I've bought or obtained freely over the years.  I'd prefer they do away with the "second" drop down for "specific" items.  For example, my character, Christine, uses Jartz's Body Gear based on V3.  Now, with Poser Pro 2014's fitting room, my V4 and Miki based characters can use it too.  Having a bear of a time with V4 though.  I'd like to give Jartz credit, but... the vendor control doesn't read the description, only what's listed in the drop down.  If it's no longer there...Oh Well! 

AnAardvark ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2013 at 10:02 AM

I credit vendors less now than I used to. The new mechanism is nice when you want to thank a vendor for a specific item, but unfortunately you can only thank them for specific items. Since I very often mix-and-match, it become too tedious. (For example, my old credits might credit Hongyu, and say "bra from Maiden Lingerie, several parts of other sets.), or the like. Also, you can't give an artist credit for outfits from other stores. (Not that crediting them for things from other stores helps 'rosity directly, but there are several artists that I've discovered at DAZ or RDNA and later bought much of their stuff here.)

aqua1955 ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2013 at 10:15 AM

Quote: "I know there are promos but I do think there is some value in seeing the results from an average user, an believe me I mean average."

I think that just these people need a little of encouragement with what they do.

I thank you all participating in this discussion. 

Let's be fair in saying that they are very busy, but a sale works always two ways, so once in a time you need to take the time for your costumers.

Just as they show their characters inside the galleries I buy them when I can afford it and they show nice to me. Often there I see more there than inside the full site. Also it looks to me also that inside the galleries, vendors see what people want.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2013 at 11:39 AM
Forum Moderator

I don't see it happening, but what if there was some sort of 'incentive program' in place, where a vendor would check credits given to them throughout the month, and randomly(or whichever image vendor likes most) pick on person who credited them in an image, and reward with a free product or something.

It would be voluntary, of course, but not too sure if any vendors would be up for it, though I'd be willing to start doing this, as I tend to give some stuff to randomly picked people anyways, usually in the chatroom.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2013 at 5:46 PM

Quote - The problem I have with the vendor credits is having to "choose" what products you have from the vendor which are currently on sale.  I like giving the vendors credit for the products I use.  Unfortunately, I have to in the image description most of the time because I (shudder) use stuff I've bought or obtained freely over the years.  I'd prefer they do away with the "second" drop down for "specific" items.  For example, my character, Christine, uses Jartz's Body Gear based on V3.  Now, with Poser Pro 2014's fitting room, my V4 and Miki based characters can use it too.  Having a bear of a time with V4 though.  I'd like to give Jartz credit, but... the vendor control doesn't read the description, only what's listed in the drop down.  If it's no longer there...Oh Well! 

And that is a problem, IMO. I found the issue just yesterday when I wanted to credit ... myself... Well.. Since I DID make some of what I'd used in the scene. But alas, that product has slid from the MP and into oblivion. So it wasnt' in my list of possible products to credit.

Same with freestuff. And in a way, even ore spo with free stuff. credits are the only "payment" free stuff creators get. And I bet I'm not the only one who originally joined Rosity to reap the Free Stuff section ;)

But there's no easy way to credit free stuff creators. not one that they can easily find at least. And that's a shame :(

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2013 at 5:50 PM
Forum Moderator

Maybe we can sweet-talk admin into adding a Freestuff credit space like the one for MP items on images?

I think it's a good idea, and would take it a sep further and have Gallery images added to the Freestuff item's page, like products have.

Just an idea...

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Morpheon ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2013 at 6:38 PM

Even if the vendor never sees the attribution, I still think making one is the right thing to do. If it's a good piece of content, it might generate additional sales for that vendor; and if it's a dud, then it can be used as a warning to other customers.

legolie ( ) posted Sun, 30 June 2013 at 1:07 PM

I have not read all the responses but I had to admit I have stopped to give credits to the vendors who never left a comment on my images ...
I think some vendors forgot we make them free promo and what's more, if a vendor  leaves me a comment, I think he/she's nice so I buy more products from him/her :-))
I understand they can't leave a comment on every post but from time to time will be great ......

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.