Tue, Oct 22, 12:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 2:50 am)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Setting an object's face to 'point towards' another object.

timarender ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2013 at 3:47 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 9:59 AM

Consider an object (e.g. a box) where one side faces a camera. I want one side of the box to continue to face the camera when the camera moves.

Posers 'Point At' would probably be sufficient; except that I cannot control which Face points towards the camera.

I now have a mass of code (which does not work!) where I attempted (unsuccessfully) to link up sins/cos/tan asin/acos/atan values with the X Y and Z Rotations of the Object.

Can anyone point me towards an example of suitable code?

In effect, if the Object's coords are (x1,y1,z1); and the Camera's coords are (x2,y2,z2); then what rotX, rotY and rotZ should I give the Object so it points towads the camera?

EnglishBob ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2013 at 5:24 PM · edited Sat, 06 July 2013 at 5:27 PM

You just need to set the object's origin and endpoint correctly for 'Point At' to work properly. This can be done with the joint editor.

That said, 'Point At' isn't always very successful when the object is pointing at a camera - a figure's eyes are a particular case in point. You may be able to get "good enough" results for something less anthropomorphic though.  

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 06 July 2013 at 10:36 PM · edited Sat, 06 July 2013 at 10:38 PM

Darn, beaten by EnglishBob  :cursing:

Point at does not work well for billboards since they will tip if the camera moves up or down.

It can be done by script but its probably easier to adjust manually for a still image.for angle a

Plane geometry will give you the calculation for say (1,1) and camera at (9,7)  x and Z values.

xstep is 8, zstep is 6 

so for angle a  x and z are opposite over adjacent = 6/8 = tan(a)

so atn(a) = 0.75 = 0. 643 radians = 0.643 * 180/pi = 36.8 degrees

so rotate in Y to 36.8 to face the target.

timarender ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 6:46 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 6:47 AM

You guys are amazing! Sadly, I can't get it to work. markschum's suggestion seems to fit generally with what I was doing. I am wondering if someone might examine my code and see what I am doing wrong.

My aim is to have an animation which includes a number of these objects; which is why I would prefer to script the Rotation calculations.

I realise that checking other people's code is not much fun, so I am grateful for any assistance:

ball = scene.Actor("BallCone_1")
cam = scene.Actor("box_1")
ballx = (ball.ParameterByCode(poser.kParmCodeXTRAN).Value())
bally = (ball.ParameterByCode(poser.kParmCodeYTRAN).Value())
ballz = (ball.ParameterByCode(poser.kParmCodeZTRAN).Value())

for v in range (0,scene.NumFrames()):
    scene.SetFrame(v)
    camx = (cam.ParameterByCode(poser.kParmCodeXTRAN).Value())
    camy = (cam.ParameterByCode(poser.kParmCodeYTRAN).Value())
    camz = (cam.ParameterByCode(poser.kParmCodeZTRAN).Value())

xstep=camx-ballx    
    ystep=camy-bally    
    zstep=camz-ballz    

if xstep<>0:
        tany=(zstep+0.0)/(xstep+0.0)
        roty= math.degrees(math.atan(tany))

if ystep<>0:
        tanx=(zstep+0.0)/(ystep+0.0)
        rotx= math.degrees(math.atan(tanx))

if ystep<>0:
        tanz=(xstep+0.0)/(ystep+0.0)
        rotz= math.degrees(math.atan(tanz))

ball.ParameterByCode(poser.kParmCodeXROT).SetValue(rotx)
    ball.ParameterByCode(poser.kParmCodeYROT).SetValue(roty)
    ball.ParameterByCode(poser.kParmCodeZROT).SetValue(rotz)

scene.SetFrame(0)

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2013 at 12:00 AM

file_496023.txt

have a look at the attached code using atan2

This just uses the rotate in y for the current frame.

timarender ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2013 at 3:58 PM

Many thanks. That was extremely helpful. I have also had a chance to learn something (ATAN2) about maths that I was was not taught 50 years ago. Sadly, whilst attempting to solve it myself, I ran into "quaternion" maths; of which I understand 0% and don't have a clue to use; but I presume may be even more satisfactory to use.

However, markschum's solution is good enough for my purposes. I am also grateful to Englishbob; who reminded me that I really should learn a bit about from the manual about joint editing.

Thanks again.

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 08 July 2013 at 9:28 PM

quaternions melted my brain years ago.

They are required to get the world transforms for body parts as I understand it.

One of the python gurus has some code to do the calculations. Try posting a specific request to this forum.  I only did maths 40 years ago and I dont remember much about array calculations. ;(

ATAN2 seems to aavoid the need for a buch of IF statements to find what quadrant you are in to add the correction to the atan derived angle.

My motto for code is "whatever works ! " 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.