Fri, Sep 20, 1:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 4:48 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: the Dawn of a new day...

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 5:21 AM

Thanks for the info, it's just for the read me file I do, it's easier to do a single zip and then  have the install instructions in the read me.

So, normally I just put in to point it to your Content folder in Studio.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

JV-Andrew ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 6:51 AM

file_495954.JPG

couple of screenies... you can see normal Runtime sits inside DAZ Library.

[url=http://jv-andrew.deviantart.com/]My deviantART page[/url]
[url=http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Jabba101]My ShareCG freebies[/url]
[url=https://soundcloud.com/jv-andrew]Some of my music[/url]

JV-Andrew ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 6:53 AM

file_495955.JPG

...and here's where the install manager default is compared to what I personally use - so I'd imagine you'd want to use "recommended" path...

[url=http://jv-andrew.deviantart.com/]My deviantART page[/url]
[url=http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Jabba101]My ShareCG freebies[/url]
[url=https://soundcloud.com/jv-andrew]Some of my music[/url]

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 7:06 AM

Hehehe...like the funky hairdos ;)

Laurie

Bejaymac ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 7:26 AM

Quote - Hi all, a quick question for Studio users:-

Does Studio still use the Content folder before the Runtime folder:-

EG. ContentRuntimeLibraries etc.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

No and it never has, right from the start the instructions for installing content has always been to point it to the folder the Runtime folder is in, doesn't matter if that folder is called Content, My Library or Pigs Might Fly, that  is where you unpack installers and zips.

So you package your zips the same way for DS that you do for Poser, in other words when you open the zip you see a runtime folder. As an example you've made a dial spun character and texture set for Genesis, so on opening the zip you should see a People folder and a Runtime folder, your textures are in the usual place in the Runtime folder, while your character preset or shaping preset and material preset(s) are in sub folders of the People folder.

It's not like it's rocket science, but a poorly package zip can cause all sorts of problems for the uneducated DS user, and that's old as well as new users.

adzan ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 7:28 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 7:33 AM

I liked the Brain morph, it's so cool

perhaps HiveWire could offer it as a free item, please, thank you

DisparateDreamer ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 7:43 AM

Hi Adzan! wave haven't seen you around in a while :)

File structure may not be a rocket science but since format has often changed (why do i have material folders in several places? and morphs in several places? etc) 

A nice person asks :) A wise person may ask, and then duck ;)

LOL.

More Dawn teasers, please please!

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 7:55 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - And that's exactly my point.

And then you go on to describe what would be the most hated people in model railroading, the "rivet counters".  Find one little detail that isn't letter perfect and scream bloody murder the hated cry of the rivet counter, "THAT AIN'T PROTOTYPICAL!".

What scale do you model?  I do N Scale...

Steam era HO.

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

adzan ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 8:01 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 8:01 AM

Quote - Hi Adzan! wave haven't seen you around in a while :)

thank you for the wave. waves back.

thought I'd pop in to see why I was getting emails from poser artists about the sun rising

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 8:27 AM

Ahem.....

I remember when Studio had a Content folder, then the Runtime inside of that folder.

With Poser, it's easy, point it to your Poser folder and away my zip goes, always has as I know how to make zip files.

Now recently Studio has had some changes, and I need to refelect that into the way I also do my workflow. I want to do a single zip file that BOTH Poser and Studio users can use and so I asked a very logical question.

If people want me to support Studio, then a little bit of info is required. If you only want me to do things for the Poser side, no probs, makes my life so much easier.

Now, going back to my project that currently has 100 thumbnails and will no doubt go much higher by the end of today.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

adzan ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 9:36 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 9:45 AM

Quote - Ahem.....

I remember when Studio had a Content folder, then the Runtime inside of that folder.

All the best. Great Uncle LROG

Hello

It will probably be easier for you to make zip files that use the same files structure that HiveWire implement when they release their Dawn as they may use a structure unique to Dawn

Daz studio user may well have both the My Folder and the Content folder file structures depending on how they have installed Daz Studio and if they use the Daz Install Manager.

The newest Daz Studio 4.6 install used the ‘My Folder’ library structure so:
My FolderRuntime   (for Poser content)
My Folderdata  (for daz content)
My FolderPeople  (for daz content, ie Genesis figure)
My FolderProps  (for daz content)
Etc etc

On a defualt installation that would place content thus:
C:Usersuser nameDocumentsDAZ 3DStudioMy Folder...........

But just to confuse maters the Daz Install Manager uses zips that use the ‘Content’ library structure but it is smart enough to install to ‘My Folder’ structure

So:
ContentRuntime  (for Poser content)
Contentdata   (for daz content)
ContentPeople  (for daz content, ie Genesis figure)
etc

hopefully that's helps rather than confuses
adi

Jan19 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 9:41 AM

Quote -  

Got it!

This lady Jane is a highly dramatic figure with both beauty and character suitable for a Greek tragedy like Electra or Jane in  Jane Eyre. Thank you Jan, why didn't I think of this before? always ask another before you buy! Now I only have to find a suitable Mr. Rochester.

The default render with Jarita hair looks like a classical painting by Bouguereau...

You're welcome, and I'm glad you got Lady Jane.  :-)  She looks so much like the girl the pre-Raphaelites were obsessed with.  Jane Burdon, I think her name was.  I fell for Lady Jane, the minute I saw her. :-)

And yes, she fits into classical type renders very well!  I can see her, in a toga, pouring water from a huge urn.  ;-)

And Lady Jane is one of Surreality's older characters, too.  Her newer ones have a pure ton of skin and makeup options.  There's just nothing like a Surreality character.  They're collector's items.  (And no, she doesn't pay me to say this.  :-)  I'm just big-mouthed, when I find something I like.)

I love me some Modo!  :-)

Jan19 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 9:48 AM

Quote - > Quote -> Quote - (And yes, Jan, modo is the best thing that happened to 3D, IMO.  It takes a while to learn, because it is different, but different for a very good reason.  It was no small coincidence that it was used to model Dawn.)

You're kidding!!!  I honestly did not know that!  I discovered Modo through a tutorial pdf, decided Silo was close enough, and stuck with Silo for awhile.  But Silo isn't being upgraded, so I decided to test drive Modo 701 for 30 days.  I love it.  :-)  It is fabulous.  Great tutorials at Luxology, too!

So Modo was used to model Dawn, huh?  I knew the universe was pushing me in Modo's direction.  :-)  (BTW, I posted a note about an upcoming sale in the Modo forum here at Rendo, if anyone else is interested.)

I would try the demo before I bought a app.
Some App's will just click with you better then others.
Some App's are better at certain things.

Believe me, I am!  :-)  My thoughts were like yours...better try before you buy something like that, so I bought a 30 day trial license.  Nothing is disabled, as far as I can tell, so I get a good picture of how the program works.  I got the sports shoe tutorial, also, and I'm to Video 2 (out of 10).  I wanted to see if I could actually use Modo, to make something "professional."

I'm tickled pink.  (There's a screen grab of my shoe so far, in the modo forum.  Just remember, I'm only to Video 2!) :-)  There are little scripts to help make perfect circles for eyelets, scripts to make a curve from an edge...and easy spline patching!  Never thought I'd see that...easy spline patching.

I can see why Modo was the program of choice to model Dawn.  :-) 

Jan19 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 9:53 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 9:57 AM

Ha, those morphs images are funny.  I'm glad that fat-headed alien didn't make the grade.  :-)

So when do we get to meet the lady herself.  In person?  ;-)

Edit:  looking over Dawn's mesh, I'm glad to see the nose and lips have a good number of polygons!  You seem to have put the right # of polys in the right places, for morphing. :-)

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 10:23 AM

Thanks for the info, looks like I may have to make 2 different zip files.

Current thumbnail tally on project is 160 and rising!!! Lol.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

WandW ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 10:25 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - And that's exactly my point.

And then you go on to describe what would be the most hated people in model railroading, the "rivet counters".  Find one little detail that isn't letter perfect and scream bloody murder the hated cry of the rivet counter, "THAT AIN'T PROTOTYPICAL!".

What scale do you model?  I do N Scale...

Steam era HO.

I do transition era , but my layout is still the Great Pink Plains. Here are some pictures...

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/ppuser/1966/cat/500/page/1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 10:44 AM

Okay back with another Studio questioin, see I'm willing to learn!!! Lol.

Can Studio read MC6 materials???

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 10:53 AM

Quote - Okay back with another Studio questioin, see I'm willing to learn!!! Lol.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

I'm thinking NO...lol. But it's easy enough to change them to a pose file.

Laurie

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:08 AM

Don't say I've got to do them all again as MAT files!!!

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

thd777 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:08 AM

Quote - > Quote - Okay back with another Studio questioin, see I'm willing to learn!!! Lol.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

I'm thinking NO...lol. But it's easy enough to change them to a pose file.

Laurie

Yes, DS can read and import .mc6 files. However, you need to keep in mind that that does not mean that it can use Poser shader tricks or fancy setups. It will just read what it understands, textures maps, bump, highlights etc. And some of the settings will of course need to be adjusted. I would recommend separate files for DS to provide full support.

Ciao

TD

RawArt ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:11 AM

Ideally you should set up the materials in each program individually....things just never transfer over well either way

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:16 AM

The only node I've used is a Granite one, would that one cause probs?

I've only used basic colours for the project.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:17 AM

Think I'll trash this project and start again.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

thd777 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:18 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:20 AM

Quote - The only node I've used is a Granite one, would that one cause probs?

I've only used basic colours for the project.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

While there is an equivalent node (granite) in DS, it won't be able to interpret the Poser version. This needs to be set up in DS and Poser individually if you use any procedural nodes.

TD

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:22 AM

Now, this is where is would be handy for a node equivalent in both system would come in handy, then each system would know which nodes are safe to use.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

DreamerZ_Loft ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:26 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:26 AM

Quote - Don't say I've got to do them all again as MAT files!!!

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

If you need to convert them you don't have to do it all by hand, Ockham has a wonderful python script that will do that for you. :)
Go here:
http://ockhamsbungalow.com/Python/

Scroll to the bottom of the page, the conversion script is the third from last one, MC6 - MT5 - PZ2. Mechanically converts PZ2 files to MC6 or MT5.
I've used this for quite a while to convert my material collections to mat poses. :)

edited to add.....it works in PP 2014 with no trouble. :)

Jan

thd777 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:28 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:31 AM

Quote - Now, this is where is would be handy for a node equivalent in both system would come in handy, then each system would know which nodes are safe to use.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

That's easy. The only "nodes" that are safe to use are image map based ones (color, transparency, bump, etc). In addition, parameter settings for diffuse color, bump, highlights, transparency are usually recognized, but they won't necessary look the same due to the different render engines.

Edit to add: While there are many nodes that have equivalents in both programs, their parameters are not easily matched and they often use different scales internally making it necessary to manually adjust the settings.

TD

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:29 AM

Thanks for the info Jan, but I have got to kill most of this project due to things I have found not working!!! Grrrrrr!!!

Well, it's all practice.

I have my base start for the project, so it's jus ta matter of going back and redoing things.

Probably not today as I have day 2 of webinar to do.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

Fringewood ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:31 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:32 AM

Gen 4 and Genesis 1&2, all came out of modo.

Be warned:  No matter which parts of modo in which one specializes, it's flat out addictive.

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 11:41 AM

Well, time to start the freebie project again.

This time I'm using Poser PZ2 files.

Once it's released, if anyone want to adapt it for Studio then that's okay by me.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 1:08 PM

Jan

2 Pizza's, 2 Liters of Coke-and a Bowl of Transfat! Crisco?

Good idea! I can get a good start on looking like that unfortunate fellow in the swim shorts earlier in the thread. After all-I want to look like a REAL person!

Eric :-)

Good

Quote - Be sure you go for something healthy -- like pizza and a liter of Coke.  ;-)

CG_Cubed ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 1:30 PM

To clarify Studio files...

DS uses both content and MyLibrary. The latest version has added a third option, MyDAZLibrary. the "library" folders will be in the documents folder, while the content folder resides where the program is installed. They all will work as long as you have them mapped in DS. Just don't have multiple installs in all the folders and have them mapped at the same time. DS will read the first mapped directory them add stuff from the others.

For packaging, we recommend just zipping the data, People and runtime folders together. This way folks just unzip inside any of the 3 folders mentioned above, or in any folder they want. As long as you map that directory, DS will read it.

this is how Dawn is packaged.

:D

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 1:34 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

In the spirit of making life easier, has anyone made, or can someone make, a poser to daz to poser (meaning it can go either direction) texture translating program? Or maybe 2 probrams, one for each way. I'm sure it would be no small feat but if we are going to work cooperatively, this would help.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

CG_Cubed ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 1:54 PM

file_496006.JPG

Some quick images of PROM (Pressured Range of Motion) for the arms...

CG_Cubed ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 1:55 PM

file_496007.JPG

another angle

CG_Cubed ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 1:57 PM

Oh, btw, that is with limits on! Cheers!

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 2:25 PM

Thanks  Etujedi

That's some impressive rigging.

quote]Oh, btw, that is with limits on! Cheers!

RawArt ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 2:26 PM

Looks amazing Etujedi!

SatiraCapriccio ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 3:13 PM
Online Now!

That it does!  I really, really, REALLY have tried to keep from getting too excited over Dawn.  But, I have failed dismally.  I'm absolutely positive Dawn will be my go to figure once she's released.

Quote - Looks amazing Etujedi!

Burning within each of us are Fires of Creativity

Satira Capriccio

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 3:17 PM

I agree. She seems to bend even better than V4-WM (which has been my go to figure).

I've been making morphs and creatures out of V4 in Zbrush-time to start making them for Dawn. Or it will be-when she "Dawns" un us non published folk.

Quote - That it does!  I really, really, REALLY have tried to keep from getting too excited over Dawn.  But, I have failed dismally.  I'm absolutely positive Dawn will be my go to figure once she's released.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 3:38 PM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 3:39 PM

Really really impressive. And might I say I LOVE the thicker upper arms on Dawn...so sick of Vicky 4's skinny biceps. LOL. The arms now look believeable to me.

Laurie

fabiana ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 3:43 PM

Quote - Really really impressive. And might I say I LOVE the thicker upper arms on Dawn...so sick of Vicky 4's skinny biceps. LOL. The arms now look believeable to me.

Laurie

Me too, Laurie... I am dreaming with a season without JCM  and JSM for a change... easier things, faster... 

Lets see what can I do :)

Fabi

Fabi @FKDesign

One in some place under Southern Stars...
Don't tell me that I am wrong if I say I saw pointed ears this morning, in my mirror... they are there.

Jan19 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 4:23 PM

Quote - Gen 4 and Genesis 1&2, all came out of modo.

Be warned:  No matter which parts of modo in which one specializes, it's flat out addictive.

You got that right.  :-)  After using it for a week, I guess, I've already got the "By gum, I'm gonna get this baby, one way or another" mindset.  ;-)   It is addictive.  Just using it makes me a happy camper.

Jan19 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 4:26 PM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 4:27 PM

Quote - Jan

2 Pizza's, 2 Liters of Coke-and a Bowl of Transfat! Crisco?

Good idea! I can get a good start on looking like that unfortunate fellow in the swim shorts earlier in the thread. After all-I want to look like a REAL person!

Eric :-)

Good

Quote - Be sure you go for something healthy -- like pizza and a liter of Coke.  ;-)

You did good!  :-)  Now, don't forget French Fries and pancakes and syrup -- and a batch of fried green tomatoes to top everything off.  Whee -- somebody's gonna need some Pepto!  :-)))

Those are fantastic screenshots of Dawn.  Her face is awesome!  The body is great, too, but that face is enchanting. :-)

Jan19 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 4:28 PM

Quote - That it does!  I really, really, REALLY have tried to keep from getting too excited over Dawn.  But, I have failed dismally.  I'm absolutely positive Dawn will be my go to figure once she's released.

You and me both.  :-)  She's a stunner!

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 5:06 PM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 5:07 PM

Jan19 : I'm glad ya liken Modo.
I'm sure anything borned from LW would half to be wicked kool.
Just don't want to mislead anyone .Currently Modo is not in RorrKonn's 2013 pipeline.
Ya never know about 2014.

paganeagle2001 : Since where talking about pipelines.
I would like to congratulate you on growing your pipeline to inclued Poser and DAZ Studio.
The CGI universe is the limit.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

Guardian_Angel_671 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 5:12 PM
Forum Coordinator

Can the content creators make some characters with the paler gothy type textures? I'd love to see some that are in the goth line as well:) I've not quite figured how to get a proper palish skin without it looking bleh.Though I admit I'm still learning or trying to learn:) I used yellow so it'd be visible -that blue is very hard to see.

Guardian_Angel_671
Daz Studio Coordinator
May the hands of fate be kind to you and yours. :)
guardian_angel_671@renderosity.com

matrix03 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 5:20 PM · edited Sun, 07 July 2013 at 5:20 PM

Quote - Can the content creators make some characters with the paler gothy type textures? I'd love to see some that are in the goth line as well:) I've not quite figured how to get a proper palish skin without it looking bleh.Though I admit I'm still learning or trying to learn:) I used yellow so it'd be visible -that blue is very hard to see.

I second that!

**better yet, about a texture resource that we can all use for Dawn with such textures?

Guardian_Angel_671 ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 5:30 PM
Forum Coordinator

Quote - > Quote - Can the content creators make some characters with the paler gothy type textures? I'd love to see some that are in the goth line as well:) I've not quite figured how to get a proper palish skin without it looking bleh.Though I admit I'm still learning or trying to learn:) I used yellow so it'd be visible -that blue is very hard to see.

I second that!

**better yet, about a texture resource that we can all use for Dawn with such textures?

that & maybe tuts for us beginners on making & preparing good skins & such.I try to look & have a hard time with finding beginner tuts.

Guardian_Angel_671
Daz Studio Coordinator
May the hands of fate be kind to you and yours. :)
guardian_angel_671@renderosity.com

adelightfuldeb ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2013 at 5:35 PM

Hi all :) As a DS user, I would ask some quesitons, but, I'm only on page 10 of this thread and I'm too busy picking my jaw up off the desk & giggling with excitement every time a new name comes up that is going to support or is working on this girl that I just can't think straight... 

OMG!! Can this be for real?? 

I may faint before I get caught up here... This is almost too awesome for words

Deb aka Redmysticangel :) 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.