Fri, Sep 20, 4:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: How do I weld spirals together?

Michaelab ( ) posted Thu, 11 July 2013 at 10:52 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:37 AM

Hi,

I loaded two spirals in my scene and have it so the end of one spriral touches the begining of the other so that it looks like one big spiral. However, I want to weld the two together so I can manipulate it and change the parameters of it as one object.

How do I do that?

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 11 July 2013 at 11:06 PM

Export the two models as one OBJ file. In the Poser export dialog you will have the option of selecting which actors in the scene to include in the export. Select both spirals.

Suggest that you also include the option to weld however this will only join coinciding vertices if they exactly match, and I mean exactly and possibly will only work on a figure not a prop.

Hope that helps.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Thu, 11 July 2013 at 11:33 PM

Darn phil beat me to it! :)

...anyway, what PhilC said or my rather more long winded version.

well you can't "weld" per se from Poser unless the .obj was of one piece, cut into two (say in a modeler) with identical vertices occupying the same space in the two pieces where it was cut. If this is the case you would export the 2 objects from poser via the export wavefront object hierarchy, uncheck the universe, check the two objects, export .obj, reimport with weld identical vertices.

I'm thinking perhaps what you want to do is glue the object together via export. File/ export/ wavefront object/ single frame/click universe check box (this deselects all objects in the scene)/ check the two objects/ export with include existing groups in polygon groups.

when you reimport the object will be combined into one selectable object and can be transformed, rotated, and translated as one. The object will also have 2 material regions for the parts and have 2 groups for greater flexibility via the group editor.

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 11 July 2013 at 11:55 PM

You can simply parent the two and just move the bottom one.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 12:03 AM · edited Fri, 12 July 2013 at 12:08 AM

So I just tried welding an object cut in half via Wings3D, imported into poser, and exported/imported with weld identical vertices. The object was never moved in cartesian space. I compared the two by vertice count back in wings and the weld did not take properly. the original uncut cube with 26 verts and the cut and welded via export/import with 42. Peculiar as PhilC mentioned in that welds with body parts on figures take when tranforming figures into single props via export/import...

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 12:10 AM

Good point, markschum. the path of least resistance, guess we got distracted by the whole weld thing ;)

Michaelab ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 8:57 AM

Will markschum's idea allow me to change the parameters of the two spirals as if it were one spiral or would it just transform the one spiral selected? I'm not after just moving it as one but also transforming (stretching, tapering, flattening) as one unit.

I'll try it but I doubt that it will.

Michaelab ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 9:03 AM

Tried it, nope. Parenting does not allow morphs to apply to both spirals. Only one and not to the other

Michaelab ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 9:13 AM

Ok, I did as DeathMetalDesk and PhilC instructed and the object did come in as one spiral but it doesn't have the special morphs that the spiral has of stretch, taper and flat.

I want to build a spiral that has as many turns as I need, tapering it so it is wider at the bottom and narrower at the top, like a cone.

Any help or ideas?

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 11:51 AM

Lets see the model you have now, then maybe I might have a couple of ideas. The "I want to build a spiral that has as many turns as I need" with included morphs is a bit problematic, though. i.e. It's going to have to be 1 object to do the morphs (realistically), but it seems you are looking for something modular. Suppose it could be done as a prop with material zones and transparency, or as a simplistic figure and using body part visibility. My most immediate response would be "are you proficient with any modeling apps?" I just woke up so my logic might be a bit fuzzy until the caffeine starts working.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 12:31 PM

I'm thnking a figure with easypose on it might suit you better... What exactly do you need it for?

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Michaelab ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 12:38 PM

Easypose? Don't know what that is. Anyway, I want the spiral, (which in poser 9 is just a coil) to compress or expand, or be broader at the bottom than at the top, and also be able to stretch it. 

The problem with the spiral that comes with poser is while it can stretch, taper and flatten, it can't add more turns, more coils to the spiral. I need more that is why I've asked about 'welding' two spirals together.

I added another spiral to spiral 1 and then exported the two as an object, but then the new spiral.obj does not have the stretch, taper and flat morphs I want to apply.

Am I explaining it clearly enough? Just need more coils to the spiral and then need to apply the stretch, taper and flat morphs to it.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 12:58 PM · edited Fri, 12 July 2013 at 1:03 PM

For easy pose as TrekkieGrrrl suggested it's a snap to add this functionality to an appropriate figure using PhilC's "All Tied Up" scripts. Of course you would have to build an appropriate figure to add that functionality. I've found that the scripts work best if applied to a figure that you have built, grouped, and rigged yourself. The script has an add EP dials to existing figure command that only takes a few moments to insert the dials into the figure. For specifics see_

http://www.philc.net/AllTiedUp.php

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 1:01 PM

...Unless you can find someone to create this magic coil for you, you'll have to fabricate one in a modeler and take the steps necessary to "Poserize" it as required.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 1:08 PM

Here's a link to Ajax's freestuff here on Renderosity, the creator of EZPose. In case you are curious. perhaps one of his EZPose tubes might be similar to something you are looking for_

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?user_id=44709

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 1:16 PM
markschum ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 1:16 PM

if you load the two props , parent them and create a figure using the hierarchy editor you can then apply the morphs to each body part and set some dependant parameters to control both parts.

Its the easiest way I can think of.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 2:46 PM

file_496265.txt

here you go... drop the .txt extension, unzip, put in Libraries/Props. It has a Taper_Y morph and 16 material regions (use transparency to hide parts). Any other morphing I imagine can be done via standard poser parameter transforms.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 2:47 PM

file_496266.jpg

... all quads, each material colored to show division of regions.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 2:48 PM

file_496267.jpg

_

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 2:48 PM

file_496268.jpg

_

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 2:49 PM

file_496269.jpg

_

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 2:50 PM

hope this helps...:)

Michaelab ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 3:00 PM

Wow, DeathMetalDesk! Thank you! I'll give it a try. Looks like it can do everything, but can it stretch, like pulling the coil so there is more space between each ring?

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 3:03 PM

scale Y axis.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 3:06 PM

...if you need any other morphs for it, let me know... I'll attach some morph targets here. Within reason of course. :)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 4:35 PM

We REALLY need a "like" button in here. Great job, DeathMetalDesk!

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Fri, 12 July 2013 at 4:42 PM

Thanks TrekkieGrrrl. coming from you, I am very flattered.

Michaelab ( ) posted Sat, 13 July 2013 at 12:16 AM

DeathMetalDesk, how do I get it to taper with a broad base without it creating a mirror spiral above the bottom spiral? Also, I don't see that increasing the yScale increases the distance between the coils. It increases the height of each ring but doesn't pull it out as if you were literally pulling a spring apart.

I would like it if the end top coil didn't have to end in a point but be open (like this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/img.charteo.com/art_pictures/C0048/3D-Spiral-Charts_C0048_002_c01_l.png) and also, how do I lessen the number of coils (like this: http://static5.depositphotos.com/1005590/392/i/950/depositphotos_3925429-Spiral-Christmas-tree-with-sled.jpg)?**

**Please don't take the above as complaining. Lot to ask, I know and of course you don't have to do anything for me, but I do thank you for your hard work with this. Just want the moon, I guess.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Sat, 13 July 2013 at 3:06 AM · edited Sat, 13 July 2013 at 3:11 AM

file_496295.jpg

"**how do I get it to taper with a broad base without it creating a mirror spiral above the bottom spiral?**"

don't dial the taper morph too much above +1.00/-1.00 in the parameters, I didn't set a limit on the morph and it was created at the extreme of the taper.

"I would like it if the end top coil didn't have to end in a point but be open (like this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/img.charteo.com/art_pictures/C0048/3D-Spiral-Charts_C0048_002_c01_l.png)"

Fiddle with scaling and taper, utilize transparency on the materials (there are 16 material segments to the spiral) to "crop" the coil. see illustration following on page 2 of the thread.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Sat, 13 July 2013 at 3:10 AM

file_496296.jpg

_after scaling and taper and cropping with transparency. You can crop it much shorter of course, this example was done by making segments 12 through 16 transparent in the material room. to make it shorter make segments 8 through 16 transparent for instance.

DeathMetalDesk ( ) posted Sat, 13 July 2013 at 3:19 AM · edited Sat, 13 July 2013 at 3:23 AM

"Also, I don't see that increasing the yScale increases the distance between the coils. It increases the height of each ring but doesn't pull it out as if you were literally pulling a spring apart."

rebuild the model. he-he... it's not that hard, I mean it only took me about 15-20 minutes to make the thing. In all seriousness though, you didn't specify clearly in the thread that you wanted the spiral to stretch like you were pulling a string apart. Guess your not getting the moon today, I've got work in 5 hours and need some sleep. sorry dude, and good luck.

_edit, although I said I would provide additional morphs if needed there simply isn't time right now. Perhaps tomorrow night I'll try to come up with something to your precise specifications. :)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 13 July 2013 at 5:05 AM

:) It always helps if the end user specifies exactly what it's used for. Saves us all time, really :)

It IS a good looking spiral - whether or not it's what the OP wanted. )(that's why I asked what it was for, because it does matter ;))

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.