Thu, Sep 19, 3:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: How best to import - export for a morph target.

Image-Edit ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2013 at 2:50 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:32 PM

Hi,

I want to export V4's head into Max and attempt to sculpt it using max, i then want to export it, go back to Poser and load it as a morph target to the head.

But..... there are lots of options at the save and load stages and my attempts so far have been explosive to say the least ;p

I have kept everything as it defaults so i am either getting something very wrong or there is a box or two that needs ticking while save / load etc.

Please can someone steer me in the right direction ?

Here is what i have done so far.

1 select head and export as obj (i have tried just the head as well as the head and eyes etc but both have the same explosive result)

2 import obj into Max.... adjust it here and there as a test i.e stretch the nose for eg.

3 export obj

4 back in poser, select head and load morph target and select obj i created in max

5 EXPLODE !!!! if i move the new dail even 0.001 ?

Help please before my head goes pop :(

Thanks for any advice,

Vale.

ironsoul ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2013 at 5:02 PM

Reads like your vertices are being modified, either the order, scale or translation at some stage of the process. I don't use Max so of limited help but when using Zbrush I would take the obj geometry straight from the Poser runtime to bypass all the box ticking shannigans. This loads the whole figure but I would be surprised if Max didn't have a way of just exporting a single vertex group once the morph has been created.  There's also a third party script that people use to export Poser objs but the name escapes me for the moment (sounds very good though).

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2013 at 5:38 PM

It may be because Poser's native scale is so miniscule. Try morphing on an instance of the head (blown up like 10.000 times) that might work better.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

cfpage ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2013 at 6:43 PM

file_496813.jpg

max import scale I use 500 ad then export at .002

also do not move the object you can only, pull push verts faces edges ect.

BardicHeart ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2013 at 12:08 AM

I went through a couple of days of frustration with Blender and Poser trying to do my first morphs and getting the exploding Vicky effect.  That IS caused by the vertices being out of order.  I'm not sure what the setting would be for 3DS Max, but here's what I use in Blender and hopefully you can make sense of it.

If I'm just doing a basic morph I grab the geometry OBJ file straight out of the geometries folder and bypass the whole Poser export mess as Ironsoul already suggested.

If you need to modify an existing morph then you'll need to load it, set the figure the way you want and then export that as an OBJ.  When you do, there should be only 2 boxes checked

Incluce Body part Names in Polygon Groups

Weld Body Part Seams

Now to import the file in Blender I use the following settings, hopefully you'll have something similar in 3DS

Keep Vertice Order

Poly Groups (imports the named groups of polygons, this is important)

Nothing else, I don't want Blender doing anything else to the mesh.

Once I have it open in Blender I check the mesh and confirm that all the body part groups are there and named (head, neck, torso, shoulders, etc.) just as they are in Poser.

Now I move things about, sculpt, etc. to get create the body shape I want.

If I need to scale it, I do so in Object Mode so that I can auto remove scaling and it snaps back to its original size (with my changes scaled down appropriately).  As cfpage noted, you must not change the xyx location of the figure.  If you forget to remove any scaling before export, weird thing will happy (like your super boob morph may also turn Vicky into the 500 ft super boob giant, which was actually kind of funny the first time I did that accidentally).

When I export it in Blender back to OBJ format I only include the UVs, materials, Polygroups (again so those names vertice groups are all included), and Keep Vertex Order.  That's it, nothing else added or changed.

Then load that in Poser as a morph target and you should be good to go.  That's the basics of it anyway.

ghonma ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2013 at 9:01 AM

Exploding meshes are a sure sign of a screwed up vertex order. I seem to remember an issue with MAX where it wouldn't maintain the same vertex order on OBJ file import/export, maybe you're running into that ? Have you tried the guruware OBJ plugin ? Tried using a different format like collada ?

Image-Edit ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2013 at 10:59 AM

Wow fab feed back. Thanks peeps. I wll take a look at all your ideas ans post back. This is great info

cfpage ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2013 at 4:23 PM

Quote - I went through a couple of days of frustration with Blender and Poser trying to do my first morphs and getting the exploding Vicky effect.  That IS caused by the vertices being out of order.  I'm not sure what the setting would be for 3DS Max, but here's what I use in Blender and hopefully you can make sense of it.

If I'm just doing a basic morph I grab the geometry OBJ file straight out of the geometries folder and bypass the whole Poser export mess as Ironsoul already suggested.

If you need to modify an existing morph then you'll need to load it, set the figure the way you want and then export that as an OBJ.  When you do, there should be only 2 boxes checked

Incluce Body part Names in Polygon Groups

Weld Body Part Seams

Now to import the file in Blender I use the following settings, hopefully you'll have something similar in 3DS

Keep Vertice Order

Poly Groups (imports the named groups of polygons, this is important)

Nothing else, I don't want Blender doing anything else to the mesh.

Once I have it open in Blender I check the mesh and confirm that all the body part groups are there and named (head, neck, torso, shoulders, etc.) just as they are in Poser.

Now I move things about, sculpt, etc. to get create the body shape I want.

If I need to scale it, I do so in Object Mode so that I can auto remove scaling and it snaps back to its original size (with my changes scaled down appropriately).  As cfpage noted, you must not change the xyx location of the figure.  If you forget to remove any scaling before export, weird thing will happy (like your super boob morph may also turn Vicky into the 500 ft super boob giant, which was actually kind of funny the first time I did that accidentally).

When I export it in Blender back to OBJ format I only include the UVs, materials, Polygroups (again so those names vertice groups are all included), and Keep Vertex Order.  That's it, nothing else added or changed.

Then load that in Poser as a morph target and you should be good to go.  That's the basics of it anyway.

Iam trying to get used to blender a slow learning process for me. I can import export .obj for morphs no problem but scaling is an issue as you know poser model is tiny

so I use "objaction" but it is 4 more steps in the total in the process, can you explian your scaling method more ? Ive never scaled in blender and like its sculpting tools. thanks.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2013 at 5:12 PM

This is ancient material (ca. Poser 4/Max 3) but perhaps it will  be of some help Poser Morphs in 3DS Max

It uses the .obj plugins that ghonma mentions. I have no idea if the native .obj I/O is messing things up - could depend on Max version I suppose. You might ask in the Max forum here, I imagine there must be a few Poser users there who do morphs. There are also more up to date Poser/Max tutes out there.  

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

BardicHeart ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2013 at 3:05 AM

cfpage - When I import a model from Poser into Blender, before I do anything else I hit S (for scale) and then either 2 or 4 (for 2x or 4x size).  That gives me a larger model to work on.  I do this in Object Mode.

Anything else I do in Edit Mode.

When I'm done I go back to Object Mode and hit Alt+S.  This removes any scaling applied in Object Mode so the model "snaps" back to its original size rather than being the 2x or 4x or whatever scaling I applied originally and is now back to the correct scale.  Then I can export and have no troubles.

Scaling in Object Mode vs scaling in Edit Mode isn't exactly the same.  In Object mode its sort of like a modifier that temporarily changes the size (which is why you can snap it back by using Alt+S).  Scaling in Edit Mode changes the vert location, Alt+S will NOT remove those changes.

So for example, if you imported Vicky 4 and scaled her up 4x in Object Mode.  Then in Edit Mode if you scaled her 2x again, she would now be 8x original size.  If you went back to Object Mode and hit Alt+S she would snap back, but would still be 2x normal size because the 2x you applied in Edit Mode would be unaffected.

Hope that was clear.  Once you get used to the difference in Modes its actually very handy because you can resize a model very large to work on and once you've finished making morphs or changes snap it back to orignal size for export.

cfpage ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2013 at 9:53 AM

Quote - cfpage - When I import a model from Poser into Blender, before I do anything else I hit S (for scale) and then either 2 or 4 (for 2x or 4x size).  That gives me a larger model to work on.  I do this in Object Mode.

Anything else I do in Edit Mode.

When I'm done I go back to Object Mode and hit Alt+S.  This removes any scaling applied in Object Mode so the model "snaps" back to its original size rather than being the 2x or 4x or whatever scaling I applied originally and is now back to the correct scale.  Then I can export and have no troubles.

Scaling in Object Mode vs scaling in Edit Mode isn't exactly the same.  In Object mode its sort of like a modifier that temporarily changes the size (which is why you can snap it back by using Alt+S).  Scaling in Edit Mode changes the vert location, Alt+S will NOT remove those changes.

So for example, if you imported Vicky 4 and scaled her up 4x in Object Mode.  Then in Edit Mode if you scaled her 2x again, she would now be 8x original size.  If you went back to Object Mode and hit Alt+S she would snap back, but would still be 2x normal size because the 2x you applied in Edit Mode would be unaffected.

Hope that was clear.  Once you get used to the difference in Modes its actually very handy because you can resize a model very large to work on and once you've finished making morphs or changes snap it back to orignal size for export.

Just tried it and it works thanks, (Alt+S) nice, its hard for me and Blender to get used to with all the shortcuts keys,thanks agian.

Image-Edit ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2013 at 1:40 PM

Mmmm this is a lot to take in, its all experiment for me anyhow at this stage so all your ideas are great. I am using Max2012 and it has its own obj exporter...should i source the guru one perhaps ?

I am away for a few days so when i return i will be sure to test your suggestions.

Thanks peeps, totaly appreciated.

Vale.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.