Mon, Jul 8, 7:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 26 1:13 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: I thought render to disk was supposed to be fast.

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 10 August 2013 at 7:18 PM · edited Mon, 20 May 2024 at 12:32 PM
Forum Moderator

I have a scene only 600 pixels square that is stuck on 6% for about fourteen hours now.  I am going to let it keep going, but I do not even have antialiasing turned on.  This was just to check on the IBL lighting before I jack up the resolution to 1200 pixels square and turn on anitaliasing.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 10 August 2013 at 7:39 PM · edited Sat, 10 August 2013 at 7:41 PM

see you in 2025...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 10 August 2013 at 11:26 PM
Forum Moderator

If man is still alive.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 11 August 2013 at 7:02 AM

odd that...let us know what happens...sounds like a bug to me.

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

UVDan ( ) posted Sun, 11 August 2013 at 10:29 AM
Forum Moderator

It is at 17% this morning so it crawls on.

StuartB ( ) posted Sun, 11 August 2013 at 8:42 PM · edited Sun, 11 August 2013 at 8:46 PM

file_497167.jpg

HI UVDan.

You don't say how complex the scene is or the speed of your PC or how much ram you have.

I just changed the size of one of my scenes to 600x600, standard render settings with no anti aliasing and rendered to disk.

It has glass, metal, plastic, and steam materials and an HDRI backdrop.

This is the result.

You may have a problem with your PC or it's just a bit slow for the job.

The time it's taking does sound a bit excessive.

StuartB ( ) posted Sun, 11 August 2013 at 8:51 PM

file_497169.jpg

Finished render but converted to jpeg because it was a bit big to upload here.

UVDan ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 10:16 AM
Forum Moderator

Thanks Stuart. That is a good looking scene you put together!!  I love the name of your news paper! 

Both of my machines are rather old and I do have a tough scene to chew through with lots of lights and volume materials with transparency and plenty of soft shadows which are always slow.  I am at twenty percent this morning.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 3:40 PM

I remember the early days on my Amiga2000 with Imagine3D renders taking 4-5 days for a 640x480 render....ah the memories of when my computer gave me time to get real world stuff done, heh heh heh

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

StuartB ( ) posted Mon, 12 August 2013 at 5:36 PM

@UVDan.

Maybe the time it's taking is correct then it just seems a hell of a long time.

@bobbystahr

I remember using Imagine3D on the Amiga, also I think a program called Sculpt 4d.

Just out of nostalgia for the Amiga days I bought a copy of Cloanto's  Amiga Forever emulator for the PC. Only used it a couple of times but it brought back a lot of old memories.

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 13 August 2013 at 10:08 PM

UVDan..keep slogging it on..rememebr cple years ago.. a render of mines took 2 weeks...

UVDan ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2013 at 10:28 AM
Forum Moderator

Windows auto update kicked in this morning and restarted my computer.  My render was at 23 percent.  I have killed windows update and now it won't be updating anymore.  I have Windows XP Pro 64 bit for God's sake how many more updates does it need?

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2013 at 10:45 PM

windows 7 home premium updated itse;f too yesterday...think windows updating all. 

lol.. you had to start re rendering to disc agin, didn't you? My empathies. Pity bryce doesn't just start of where it lets off rendering

UVDan ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2013 at 10:12 AM
Forum Moderator

Thanks, I am not disk rendering this time so I can stop it periodically and save it.

Thelby ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2013 at 3:51 AM

XP Pro 64 could be a small part of the problem as it is Much slower than any 64 bit version of Win 7. 

I turned my old XP Dual Core into a storage device with 8 HDDs, because it still works but was SO Much slower  at rendering than my Win 7 machines. 

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

UVDan ( ) posted Thu, 05 September 2013 at 9:38 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks.  I wish companies would write software for Linux and put M$ out of bu$ine$$.

Bambam131 ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2013 at 8:56 AM

I use to try and use the "Render to Disk" feature in Bryce but the render time rather then go down would actually go up 10 times what it would have taken to just render the image the normal way. The only advantage that I have ever seen for using that feature was the ability to set the DPI resolution so that if the nucklehead that does not know how to use a 40 meg file could print with a 300 DPI resolution. I have had quite a view of my pictures published and 99% of the images that I sent the client were 72 DPI just like yours. The file itself was over 30 megs and resolution was close to 4000x3000 and thats all that really counts. If the people that continue to demand 300 DPI resolution images (and they will) are still asking for that then honestly these people should find a new job. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck on your render using that feature but I think you should be able to get the disired effect by making the image itself larger then resizing the picture after you render it especially if you are going to publish that image.

Cheers,

David

PS: Very nice picture that you're trying to render, excellent composition and lighting!

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2013 at 11:17 AM
Forum Moderator

Thanks, but I did not upload a picture.  That beautiful picture is from StuartB.  I like it also.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.