Fri, Oct 4, 2:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Making Accurate Faces with a 3d Program

jy76tn ( ) posted Tue, 13 August 2013 at 11:26 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 2:28 PM

(Using Faceshop) When the morph is made from the photo, the lips and eyes come out too big  (when you apply the morph dial, it makes the eyes and, especially, lips big), but the nose looks accurate.   What could be going wrong here?  The dots seem to be in the right places.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 13 August 2013 at 12:17 PM

Generally speaking, Faceshop had not been a very reliable program in the past.  Many users have tried, but had not been successful obtaining satisfactory results.  There is another, more expensive program available which does a better job, but incorporating it into Poser is more involved and complicated.

jy76tn ( ) posted Tue, 13 August 2013 at 12:33 PM

I was putting the texture on before loading the morph.   But even when I wasn't doing that, the results were only so so (but better than when loading after the texture).  But then again I am new to this, so that might be a problem.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 13 August 2013 at 2:13 PM

I would agree with hborre, having tried a number of versions of Faceshop if what you are getting is 'so so' I think you have reached the limits of what Faceshop can do.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

jy76tn ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2013 at 8:03 PM

I wonder if Faceshop could put the face in the right direction, and then a few finishing touches with something else would do it.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Fri, 16 August 2013 at 12:51 PM

doesn't it make a morph dial for the face morph? You could dial it back a bit and see how it looks.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

jy76tn ( ) posted Fri, 16 August 2013 at 4:08 PM

You got a point.  That might work.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Fri, 16 August 2013 at 9:58 PM

If you are using the new version of Faceshop (8 i think) Id like to hear/see how it's going. Ive had my eye on that software for a while but no one seems to have that updated version and old reviews aren't that favorable.

jy76tn ( ) posted Sun, 18 August 2013 at 7:44 PM

Quote - If you are using the new version of Faceshop (8 i think) Id like to hear/see how it's going. Ive had my eye on that software for a while but no one seems to have that updated version and old reviews aren't that favorable.

I wouldn't buy it, very frustrating (even with models with a neutral expression face pose).  The FaceGen probably works, but who has 300 dollars?

jy76tn ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2013 at 12:10 AM · edited Sun, 25 August 2013 at 12:11 AM

I'll take back what I said about FaceShop.  I was using the EZ mode with V4 head.  If you load the head directly and do it the hard way, then it comes out accurate. 

However, if you buy FaceGen, it's all one click and you don't have to do the lasso thing, so fewer chances to mess it up.  But then again the FaceGen is 240 dollars more.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2013 at 12:04 PM

so with Faceshop after making the face are you able to easilly load this into V4 anytime you want? How does that process work? They never explain this part on their info page for the product.

jy76tn ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2013 at 11:08 PM · edited Sun, 25 August 2013 at 11:19 PM

Quote - so with Faceshop after making the face are you able to easilly load this into V4 anytime you want? How does that process work? They never explain this part on their info page for the product.

1. Export V4 head into Faceshop

1. Use imported face in Faceshop. Make the face with it.

2. Export the .obj. file to computer

3. Bring up V4 on Poser.  Select head. 

4. Load morph target for head.  The morph target should be the .obj file

6.  Your done.

But the hard part is making the face realistic.

Note: Exporting V4 head before importing into facshop: 

Export without eyes as .obj file

But if using a different character, then do the same for it (for V3 or whatever else)

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2013 at 1:27 PM

Like the others here, I had very frustrating experiences with Face Shop.  I seem to recall, however, that the FS documentation suggested that is can be used more directly with Daz Studio than Poser.  Perhaps as some kind of plugin?  I've never used D:S, so I haven't tested the idea, but I wonder if it is better integrated in that context and might be more effective with V4 or M4.  The results I had using Face Shop with Poser and Antonia were not useable.  :sad:

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2013 at 2:42 PM

I have not used FaceShop for a while but I my approach was to create 3 morphs from scratch and then blend them - still I had to use default morphs for stuff like eye size. I was disapointed with integration to Poser as opposed to DS. I found it more usefull for adding a little life-like asymetry and imperfection to a face to get further away from the DAZ figure default then for getting liknesses. The textures it created for me were never useful. Back with Poser 3 I made a sort of soft face replacement head with planer projection UV for the P3 Man and Woman and I remember liking the results. I would love if someone would persue that aproach... a good soft morphing head prop with planer UVs for rapid cloning of faces from simple head shots to Poser just for background as opposed to foreground figures. I developed that technique from an old game app my kids had pre-Y2K which projected a snapshot onto a smooth head mesh to make an animated bobble-head avitar that could dance around and sing and such. Because the mesh was smooth but three dimensional the likness depended entirely on texture map and the 3D realism on soft dimensionality of bone structure which could be roughly individualized and scaled.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 10:51 AM

jy76tn,

I would bet that the generated textures are useless. I would be using a standard V4 or other texture and modify the eyebrows to match the ones generated by Faceshop.

momodot,

I could see that being useful for making background crowds that didnt look like clones. Good idea.

jy76tn ( ) posted Tue, 27 August 2013 at 11:29 PM

Quote - jy76tn,

I would bet that the generated textures are useless. I would be using a standard V4 or other texture and modify the eyebrows to match the ones generated by Faceshop.

momodot,

I could see that being useful for making background crowds that didnt look like clones. Good idea.

There are no textures exported.  Faceshop only modifies a .obj file.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2013 at 12:54 AM

really???? I thought that was something it was supposed to do...create a head texture map from the picture you provide. They show videos of heads with the original pictures mapped to them. I thought Id be able to at least use ths as a guide texture.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.