Sun, Oct 6, 11:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: HU Rollin' Road - Concept & Freebie

mrsparky ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 7:12 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 11:27 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2872317

file_497990.jpg

Bit of a change this week from the usual type of freebie. This time it's a freebie and a concept! Click the link above to learn more about the idea and to get the download. More importantly is any feedback you might have about how this idea could be improved. Which is why it's been released under GPU style terms for other people in the poser/3d community to have a play.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 7:23 PM

What a totally funny idea! I recently made an animation of a figure that went round and round on the curcilar groundplane. I guess this is in a way similar. Will download it and play :D

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 7:33 PM

Woopsie.. The background obj is missing :( Oh will I'll plop another background in for now... Just thought you should know :)

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 10:18 PM

Well it's certainly a lot of fun. I guess, conceptual-wise, the "roll" should be a little larger for a less toon-ish effect.. but.. I like it!

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 06 September 2013 at 10:26 PM

I think a more oblong shape for the roll would work better. BUT then the "turn" might not work.. I dunno...

(like threads of a tank in shape)

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 1:27 AM

Great idea!

I'd maybe go with a bigger cylinder and thereby fitting one or two more background / sideground houses or whatever in...?

Although, that said, I love the comedy inherent in the current cyclinder scale too :-)

SoulTaker ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 3:49 AM

Quote - Well it's certainly a lot of fun. I guess, conceptual-wise, the "roll" should be a little larger for a less toon-ish effect.. but.. I like it!

nice . but the roll is going the wrong way ;)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 6:58 AM

Hah yes it is. I never noticed L

Oh well...

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 7:34 AM

The RRBackPlate.obj seems to be missing from the zip.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 10:49 AM

Here's another version where the road rolls the right way L I cant' believe I missed that... Tire animation also improved. This is a fun idea :D

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2013 at 7:06 PM

TrekkieGrrrl... Like your idea of the circular groundplane, Ockham has posted a similar thing in the freebie forum thread. BTW - thanks to you and Les for the HU on the missing OBJ I'll fix that tommorow. When I upload the fixed version, I'll add a note about reversing the roll direction making it work better. As for the change of shape, as in the other thread I was pondering something similar, maybe some form of elongation? Adding or removing houses/tree and scale is easy enough, just load the model into UVmapper and assign the material for that part to a new group. Then in your modeler just move that new group or for extra copy/paste it to a new location. Your final animation is also close to what my memory thought was the effect in the Gadget Cartoon. Turns our from looking at youtube, memory plays tricks :) The actual effect is here at roughly 21.40 with the speeding police cars. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BC76BSItak

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 9:20 AM

You can make it roll in the "correct" direction in response to a positive dial input, by turning the y oriertation parameter through 180 degrees. You can do that in the Joint Editor, or by editing the pp2, eg:

endPoint 0 1.54235 0
    origin 0 0 0
    orientation 0 180 0

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 10:02 AM

Trying to make the rate of rotation match a figures walk, so that the feet don't skid on the road can be a PITA. You can add a channel and some ERC that will let you alter the rate of rotation on the fly, so that you don't need to redo the animation of the RR cylinder. This will let you adjust the rate of rotation from within any frame, and the new rate will be implemented in all frames. The normal rate of rotation will be multiplied by the value on the "X_Rot_Mult" dial. A value of 1.0 will give the normal rate of rotation as expressed on the xRotate dial, higher values will make the RR rotate faster, lower values make the RR rotate slower.

To do that, add this channel to the top of the channel stack:

valueParm X_Rot_Mult
            {
            name X_Rot_Mult
            initValue 1
            hidden 0
            forceLimits 0
            min -100000
            max 100000
            trackingScale 0.01
            keys
                {
                static  1
                k  0  1
                }
            interpStyleLocked 0
            }

Note the 'initValue 1', and the line 'static  1', and channel value 'k  0  1'

Next add this slaving code to the xRotate channel:

rotateX xRotate
            {
            name xrot (ROLL)
            initValue 0
            hidden 0
            forceLimits 0
            min -100000
            max 100000
            trackingScale 0.1
            keys
                {
                static  0
                k  0  0
                }
            interpStyleLocked 0
            valueOpTimes
                NO_FIG
                RollinRoad
                X_Rot_Mult
            }

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 10:26 AM

There may be advantages in converting the RollinRoad into a figure. If you set the altitude of the BODY to zero, and the altitude of the cylinder so that the top of the road is zero with respect to world space, you could then scale the BODY, and the top of the road surface would remain at zero altitude.

It might be a good idea to make the RollinRoad modular, with individual houses and trees as separate props, parented to the cylinder. This would make it much more flexible, as it would be easy to add, remove, or rearrange elements to suit the purpose at hand.

I agree with comments made by others, that a larger diameter of cylinder might be an improvement.

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2013 at 1:47 PM

Thanks for that Les! If anyone wants to try and do this to the model they are more than welcome. Indeed as it says in the readme, it's been designed so the community can try to improve it for everyones benefit. To separate the model into parts will be easy enough, most of the meshes have been assigned their own material groups. So it'll be a quick job to simply assign these to new groups.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.