Tue, Sep 24, 6:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Dear Dartanbeck

cjd ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:48 PM · edited Fri, 08 November 2013 at 3:50 PM

Quote - The point is that the part of creating 3D models is in the EULA and they told it to you when you inquired about it, so you can't say that they "represses truthful info about their product".

Yes, it is mentioned in the EULA that 3d models cannot be produced from their 3d content.

It is not mentioned in the EULA that 3d models can not be manufactured from heightmaps (renders). Richard (Daz formum) indicated that certian things are not logically inferrable from the EULA. Well, if you can't logically infer it, and it does not say it to begin with, what is a user to do?

Truthful information regarding licensing info would be made up front, in the license, not on the forum, as in "Oh, by the way, you can't do that". If its not covered in their terms, they have to update their terms and make that public info.

They can't have one set of terms they share with the public, and then another set of terms they don't "show" and then use it later to claim a violation.

elele ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 4:21 PM

Quote - > Quote - The point is that the part of creating 3D models is in the EULA and they told it to you when you inquired about it, so you can't say that they "represses truthful info about their product".

Yes, it is mentioned in the EULA that 3d models cannot be produced from their 3d content.

It is not mentioned in the EULA that 3d models can not be manufactured from heightmaps (renders). Richard (Daz formum) indicated that certian things are not logically inferrable from the EULA. Well, if you can't logically infer it, and it does not say it to begin with, what is a user to do?

Truthful information regarding licensing info would be made up front, in the license, not on the forum, as in "Oh, by the way, you can't do that". If its not covered in their terms, they have to update their terms and make that public info.

They can't have one set of terms they share with the public, and then another set of terms they don't "show" and then use it later to claim a violation.

It is in the EULA, like I quoted before. The heightmaps contain the data to extract the content which is cleary stated as being not allowed (even for "renders"). Anyways we can go on about this forever, so I'll take my leave.

Cheers, Elele.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAZ Store: http://www.daz3d.com/elele
Renderosity Store: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/vendor/elele
Deviant Art Page: http://eleleoke.deviantart.com

DustRider ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2013 at 4:26 PM

I think the problem here may be that a height map is not a 2D image of the 3D data. Technically, even though you may be "rendering" a height map that can be viewed and edited in an impage processing program (i.e. photoshop), a height map is actually 3D data, or to be more specific, what is often refered to as 2.5 data (because you can only have one value per cell/pixel, you can't represent hidden surfaces in a height map).

Each cell/pixel in a height map image has an x,y, and Z value. So, by rendering a height map, you are creating  a 3D  image/representation of the original 3D model. That is why it would be against the EULA to render and distribute height maps of DAZ models, because it is not a 2D representation if the original models, but 3D (x,y, and z) data.

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

manleystanley ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2013 at 8:00 AM

Quote - My two cents (plus montgomeryy city-county and alabama sales taxes)...

I have aquired carrara less than five months ago, so the claim that there are few new uers is somewhat lisleading. I too, have several issues with tne way DAZ conducts business, but not enogh to make me md as heck. Although i have been in 3d art for years, i can relate to someome who is trying to share his experiences with the app he uses and hopes he not be blasted for that. I suuport dart in this matter. You never really know what goes inside a company, so speculation is all that we have to take. I feel as if to,any in the thread have been foaming at the mouth with crap. Lets calm down fer a bit.

~GO

Well that is 1. None the less DAZ is well know for misinformtion, no information, bold faced lies, and having no follow through. That opinion is based on 8 years with DAZ.

The last 2-3 have been quite the worst though. DAZ started going down hill very rapidly once the new management stepped in. It stopped being about the customer and artest and started being about the biggest profit margen they can get; regardless of what BS they have to spout or facts they have to hide.

As in DAZs claims that C8.5 was there best selling version of Carrara. The only evidence of this is DAZ's claim. It's my opinion DAZ is taking advantage of Dartanbeck's trusting ways, and the fact everyone knows him as a good soul that can be trusted. They feed him a line of BS and he believes it and repeats it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.