Mon, Sep 23, 6:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 6:09 am)

Subject: DSON Importer for Poser

Steeleyes101 ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2013 at 10:56 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 6:15 AM

Hey all was wondering; Have any of you used the DSON Importer for Poser yet and if so can you send me direction or point me to a tut that will show me how to install a Gen outfit so that it will work in Poser?    I have installed an outfit and everything shows up in poser but the outfit.  I says on my screen that its there in my scene but I cant see it at all

please if anyone uses DSON Importer for Poser get back to me on this

Thanks

Steel

Medzinatar ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2013 at 11:11 AM

What outfit is it?  Some have some problems not yet fixed.

What version of Poser? do you have all the SR's installed?

JoePublic ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2013 at 12:03 PM

If you havent already:

Install the latest Poser SR !!!

Redownload and install the latest version of the DSON-importer !!!

Redownload and install the latest version of the Genesis Starter essentials  !!!

DSON importer goes into the Python script folder of your Poser installation.

Starter Essentials (and Genesis clothing) go into a separate runtime you link to Poser.

Same with companion files.

Starter essentials and Genesis stuff usually unzip to a folder named "content". Copy/paste everything inside that folder into your "Genesis" runtime linked to Poser

icprncss2 ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2013 at 2:49 PM

If you are using P9 or P10, Poser may slow down or the library will lock up.  This is common once you hit the apply active morphs script in the DSON importer.

If you continually end up with a locked library, you may want to look into an external library app like D3D's Library XL or Shaderworks Library Manager.

splinefit ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2013 at 8:30 PM

I'm brand new to 3d and poser, I'm trying to install the DSON importer but I"m having some problems.  I was told by the people at Daz to go within the Install Manager,  to the gear  icon, applications, and then specify the path to install the DSON importer to my Poser 10, file . I keep getting this message:

• Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "DSON Importer for Poser (Mac 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Poser Pro 2014, Pro 2012 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.
  • Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "DSON Importer for Poser BETA (Mac 64-bit) Public Build" requires that the installed path for "Poser Pro 2014, Pro 2012 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again. 

I tried to specify the path to the python folder but that didn't work either.  Also, when I specify, it doesn't let me specify for 64bit, it seems to keep changing back to 32bit after I go back to the que page.  I'm using a Mac, Mavericks.  

Anybody know where I can get specific instructions on this?   

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 9:21 AM

You want only one of those anyway - the first is the production/release build, the second the beta build, and they can't (so far as I am aware) coexist in the same version of Poser. You want the application folder, where the Poser .app file lives, as the path - the installer will then handle the sub-folders as needed.

splinefit ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 10:43 AM

Quote - You want only one of those anyway - the first is the production/release build, the second the beta build, and they can't (so far as I am aware) coexist in the same version of Poser. You want the application folder, where the Poser .app file lives, as the path - the installer will then handle the sub-folders as needed.

I just tried to install only one but the same thing is happening.   

• Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "DSON Importer for Poser (Mac 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Poser Pro 2014, Pro 2012 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again. 

It says that it requires Poser Pro 2014, Pro 2012(64bit) to be defined, would that have anything to do with it since I've got Poser 10?  On the Daz site I couldn't find an option to download a DSON for Poser 10, I only saw Poser 9 or Pro 2012.  

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 2:11 PM

It's the same plugin, it needs at least Poser 9 or Poser Pro 2012, both with SR3, but so far at least it works fine in newer versions too. As I said in the other thread, you should be able to pick Poser and 10 as the version, but it's 32 bit only.

splinefit ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 8:18 PM

Doesn't seem to work no matter what I do.  I get the same message.  

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 9:42 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 8:10 AM

Could you post a screenshot of what you have in the Applications tab of the Install Manager preferences please?

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 8:24 AM

file_499743.png

Yes no problem,  here are a couple, is this what you're looking for? 

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 8:26 AM

file_499744.png

Looks like only one got attached.

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 1:22 PM

Quote - Here's the DAZ documentation on the Importer installation...

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_installation_requirements/tutorials/dson_installation/start

This link takes me to a page describing how to install DSON but it doesn't seem to apply to how Daz has set things up.  There's location to go to where DSON icon is so the rest of the steps don't apply.  

Thanks for trying though

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 1:52 PM

Well, that looks right assuming your Poser 10 is in /Applications/Poser 10 - I thought the default path usually had Smith Micro in it. If so you may need to open a support ticket with DAZ, as it could be you've found a bug with non-standard locations for Poser.

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:00 PM · edited Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:01 PM

I use DIM for content, but I've never used it to install DSON Importer; I just download the executable from my DAZ Account Product Library and run it manually, installing it to the Poser program directory...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:04 PM

Quote - Well, that looks right assuming your Poser 10 is in /Applications/Poser 10 - I thought the default path usually had Smith Micro in it. If so you may need to open a support ticket with DAZ, as it could be you've found a bug with non-standard locations for Poser.

Really??? Nothing about this whole thing has been simple.  How sure are you abou that?  

I guess I'll post something on the Daz forum, although I believe I was told by someone on a Daz forum that looking on Poser Forums was what I needed to do.   

How much effort does the person who says "never give up" puts in until it's time to give up? 

I do appreciate the time you've put aside to try to help.

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:07 PM

Quote - I use DIM for content, but I've never used it to install DSON Importer; I just download the executable from my DAZ Account Product Library and run it manually, installing it to the Poser program directory...

I'll give that a try.  But doesn't the DIM open automatically when you try to download from DAZ? 

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:13 PM

Quote - I use DIM for content, but I've never used it to install DSON Importer; I just download the executable from my DAZ Account Product Library and run it manually, installing it to the Poser program directory...

Do you have any idea if I need the 32 bit DSON.  It doesn't say in the link you origionally sent me.  It says you need 32bit for 9 even if your machine is 64 but nothing about Poser 10.  I'm guessing the 64bit is for the pro versions only? 

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:14 PM

The blue Download buttons will get you an installer, the green buttons launch DIM. The Windows versions are installers, not archives - the Mac are zips, but I suspect they contain an installer.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:15 PM

Yes, the OS is irrelevant (other than needing a 64 bit OS to run 64 bit applications at all). The non-Pro versions of Poser are all 32 bit only, so far.

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:19 PM

Thanks.  I'll try that.  

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:38 PM

So far, no luck. I manually downloaded DSON but it downloaded as .app.  I double clicked and it said it couldn't be opened because it's from an unidentified developer.  I moved it to my poser folder, restarted and checked poser's scripts menu and it wasn't there.  I moved it to the python folder inside the poser folder, restarted poser and still not there.  

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:47 PM · edited Fri, 29 November 2013 at 2:48 PM

Quote - So far, no luck. I manually downloaded DSON but it downloaded as .app.  I double clicked and it said it couldn't be opened because it's from an unidentified developer.  I moved it to my poser folder, restarted and checked poser's scripts menu and it wasn't there.  I moved it to the python folder inside the poser folder, restarted poser and still not there.  

It needs to be installed; just copying it there won't work as there are multiple files that need to be extracted and distributed.  I'm not familliar with OS X, but here is allegedly how to bypass Gatekeeper to run the installer; I'd use the case by case method...

http://www.imore.com/how-open-apps-unidentified-developer-os-x-mountain-lion

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 3:30 PM

Quote - > Quote - So far, no luck. I manually downloaded DSON but it downloaded as .app.  I double clicked and it said it couldn't be opened because it's from an unidentified developer.  I moved it to my poser folder, restarted and checked poser's scripts menu and it wasn't there.  I moved it to the python folder inside the poser folder, restarted poser and still not there.  

It needs to be installed; just copying it there won't work as there are multiple files that need to be extracted and distributed.  I'm not familliar with OS X, but here is allegedly how to bypass Gatekeeper to run the installer; I'd use the case by case method...

http://www.imore.com/how-open-apps-unidentified-developer-os-x-mountain-lion

I was able to open the app and it appeared to go through all the windows and install (chose the python folder in poser to install), but I can't seem to find it anywhere.   Also, it doesn't show up in Poser under the Scripts menu, I thought it was supposed to do that.  

By the way, in looking for the DSON app, I've realized that somehow the folders related to Daz and Poser are all over the place.  If I ever figure the DSON thing out I guess I'll have to figure out how to organize all those folders.  

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 4:43 PM

It's not supposed to be installed into the python folder; although it includes some Python scripts, it's an addon.  The installation path should be the Poser program folder.  Also, it needs to be installed with Poser closed.  If it is installed correctly, after reopening Poser it should be on the Window>Addons menu....

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 5:10 PM

Would you recommend unistalling and reinstalling to poser?  

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 5:33 PM

I uninstalled and then ran the app again.  I think it may have worked but I moved some folders around earlier and now at startup it can't find ground.obj and a few others.  

Unbelievable... But hopefully I have the DSON thing figured out.  

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 9:00 PM · edited Fri, 29 November 2013 at 9:09 PM

Quote - I uninstalled and then ran the app again.  I think it may have worked but I moved some folders around earlier and now at startup it can't find ground.obj and a few others.  

Unbelievable... But hopefully I have the DSON thing figured out.  

Find where ground.obj (or ground.obz) is and make sure the runtime containing it has  been added to the Library....

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 9:14 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I couldn't find the obj file.  Out of embarrassment I left out the part where I trashed a folder that I could swear I copied and pasted to the folder I was trying to consolidated everything to.   So like I said, I searched everywhere and couldn't find the file. I didn't look in trash bin because I was kinda freakin out and didn't think of it till after.  I just didn't want to mess things up any more.  

So I restored everything to an earlier state and it all seemed to work out.  

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 10:09 PM

Been there; done that.  :blushing:

Glad it's straightened out...

splinefit ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2013 at 10:40 PM

I really appreciate the help.  It's actually hard to get used to how helpful people can be on these forums.  It's my first time (over the last couple of weeks) using forums and I've been pleasantly surprised.  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.