Mon, Oct 7, 2:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Using Poser when upgrading from Win XP 32 to Win 7 64

ChrisV ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2013 at 2:35 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 2:37 PM

Hi all

I've searched the forums but can't seem to find answers to the following.

I'm about to upgrade my old Win XP 32 bit dual core sustem using 4MB RAM to a Win 7 64 bit quad core system with 8 MB RAM.  I have 2 questions regarding Poser:

1.   Will my existing 32 bit Poser 9 program run better under W4W in Win 64, specifically regarding using greater RAM availability for rendering?  If so, in what ways?

2.   If I 'side upgrade to PoserPro 64, will I still be able to use my, now very extensive, 32 bit Poser libraries with PP 64?

Experts' replies eagerly awaited!

vitachick ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2013 at 2:40 PM

I did the same. Upgraded one comp from WinXP to Win7 for the 64 bit only.. Renders are faster and some that use to crash do not on the Win7. I did not install it to C drive but created a new drive D for it. I put all purchsed runtime items on external drive.., not the internal hard drive. Hope this helps..

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2013 at 3:06 PM

Poser9 is 32 bit, so limited to 32 bit RAM limit.
All PoserPro versions are 64 bit, and not limited in RAM usage.

All your runtimes are usable is all Poser versions. 32 and 64 bit, all Operating systems and all Poser versions.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

aRtBee ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2013 at 3:09 PM
  1. likely. In a 32bit Windows P9 uses 2Gb user ram unless you've tweaked the windows settings themselves already. In a 64bit Windows the 32bit P9 can use up to 3Gb.

BTW: the 64bit PPro will be sort of unlimited in this.

1. yes, the library files are the same for P9, PPro, Daz Studio, Carrara, Vue and everything.

BTW you might find some useful stuff in http://www.book.artbeeweb.nl/?p=162 where I discuss Poser from just a pice-of-software point of view. Mainly PPro / Win-64bit oriented.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

aeilkema ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2013 at 5:52 PM

Don't worry, many of all took this brave step before you and we all lived :-) You will gain a lot if you decide to go Pro!

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2013 at 6:37 AM

Quote - Don't worry, many of all took this brave step before you and we all lived :-) You will gain a lot if you decide to go Pro!

I'll second that.  I made the change a few years ago with Windows 7 and Poser Pro 2010 and it was a major step forward.  Now using Poser 2014 and doubt very much if I could step back to 32bit without major frustration.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

ChrisV ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2013 at 11:06 AM

Many thanks to all for your comments, particularly aRtBee who'se web pages I fine enlightening and insightful.

I'll be firing up the new PC this week to see how well P9 works on the new rig and I'll upgrade to Poser Pro in the New Year (when I'vew managed to extiguish my red hot credit card!)

Many thanks again

ChrisV

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.