Thu, Sep 5, 8:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Welcome - Introduce Yourself

spiegel428 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 10:53 AM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 8:44 PM

A thread for us to welcome the people new to the fractal gallery and get to know each other.

Even if you've been here a while, come by and tell us a little about yourself. :)

Lenord ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 11:55 AM

OK, I'll start...Most Fractalists probably know me or of me, been a member of Rendo about 8 years this time around. I was here a couple years before then left for a couple years before returning as a Mojonaut/Fractalist, did Mixed Medium and 2D in my other incarnation. Member of several other sites like DA, Dreamslayer, RDNA and so forth, Lenord is my real name had the same Avatar since dirt was brown. From the first time I cracked open FractalExplorer 8 or 9 years ago I've been hooked on Fractals. I'm not a mathmatician by any stretch but have a basic understanding of complex math from having earned an Electronics Engineering degree 35 years ago. I dabble in most of the more popular Fractal apps but Mandelbulb3D is my prefered software these days, I have been the Moderator of the Fractals subcommunity here for going on 2 years and try to post at least 3-4 images a week, well that's me in a nutshell........

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

alida ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 3:42 PM

Internet has givne me  a nice chance: to  travle  by  sitting in my chiar at home.I've  been  fractaling for  about 10years.I t  relaxes me.I try  all the  freeware I can.As lately  I've been less active in RR or DA due to  other  commitments

spiegel428 ( ) posted Sat, 25 January 2014 at 5:08 PM

I learned about fractals in 2003 when someone in a Bookcrossing forum posted a link to Janet Parke's site. Then I downloaded Ultra Fractal and it was a revelation. I've worked with UF, Apophysis, Incendia and MB3D -- the first two are still what I'm more comfortable with.

I'm a programmer, but I've never touched the math/programming side of fractals. It'd be too much like work! ;-)

dochtersions ( ) posted Tue, 28 January 2014 at 12:03 PM

Actually, my 'story' can be read on my homepage here.
But fractals:
I've always told my husband kareldg (his RR name):
"I will never do make art with the PC, "no way"!
I always made art in the most diverse ways, and with all kinds of materials.
From pottery to wall hangings, and oil painting.

Then I got PTSD, and my concentration to paint, and the like with real materials, was no longer sufficient.

Alternatively, in order to flee from all complaints, I started with photography, and Karel made me familiar with Fractal Explorer.
Then I went to try Apophysis 3D Hack.
What I find incredibly fun to do.

I would like to do more programs. (f.e. Ultra fractal and Mandelbulb)
But work on the PC, and especially reading text, gives me a lot more pain in my head and face. So, I have to postpone that.
Coming back to my preconceptions about making art via the PC:
I never thought, it would be so nice to do.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Thu, 30 January 2014 at 8:09 PM
Online Now!

I'm a newcomer to fractal art/software - after spotting La Petite Mangue's 'Julia Experiment' image on ShareCG I decided to have a play with Apophysis. When I first opened it my first thought was 'How on earth do I use this?' I had a look through Claire Jones' 'Julia Uncovered' guide and managed to work out the basics.

Since I reckoned other newcomers would have the same initial confusion I wrote a very short 2-part 'micro-tutorial' which I named 'Using Apophysis Without A Clue What You're Doing'

I still don't really have a clue what I'm doing, but every now and then I open it up and start moving the triangles of one of the random batch. Occasionally I get something I think is quite beautiful!

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

alida ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2014 at 3:37 PM

ahh that is my strategy in working  with  Apo

spiegel428 ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2014 at 3:57 PM

Welcome to fractals, 3dcheapskate! I've always thought that pushing triangles around was very zen and yet, somewhat ironically, Apo is my go-to program for immediate gratification.

I remember one bit of advice that I got years ago, to begin a flame using only two triangles and the linear variation, then add one variation at a time and play a bit to see the effects. Have you tried that?

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Sat, 01 February 2014 at 1:08 AM · edited Sat, 01 February 2014 at 1:08 AM
Online Now!

Thanks! When I started I quickly set default settings to 2 triangles, just linear variation as you suggest. But I never tried adding a third triangle! (I really didn't have a clue... ;o)

My default settings for the random batch are now 2-3 triangles, all variations, and I still don't add triangles, just push them around a bit.

I've only recently discovered the 'Mutations' window, and realized that it adds triangles.

So much to play with... (I originally wrote 'learn' but this is fun!)

P.S. I also recently downloaded Mandelbulber (having an extremely limited budget for all things hobby-wise means that I'm strangely drawn to free software!)

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

rocserum ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2014 at 4:47 PM

Attached Link: http://cornelis-art.blogspot.nl/

file_501680.jpg

I'm born in 1935 and from 2002 a fairly active participant in various disciplines. Mostly Fractaling and reshaping. Only in recent years, with fewer possibilities. Therefore my few comments on Rendo. Read my poem below why. I want to stay a happy RR fan. Cornelis (roc serum)

It goes well

I feel ants in my fingertips

lightning through my hand

notice that both my soles

are filled with sliding sand

both wrists are entwined

with sharp barbed wire

and sometimes if I walk

my feet  stumble in the mire

because my feet hung limply

two ankles weak as clay

and the clamps to my calves

crawling slowly to my thigh

I fear my muscles in the night

legs suddenly shoot straight

the cramps who I not expect

they are painfully unquie

but as you read above

writing is pretty good

reading paint computing

I’m in a happy mood

I work as a volunteer

do several kinds of jobs

things I really like

despite my physical stuff

cooking is done for me

my bed is prepared

against all the trouble

I get excellent cared

surrounded with care

any commitment is top

but extras will be less

as reserves goes stop

but know when you add up

this whole stream of thought

I still say do not worry

everything goes quite good

cornelis

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.