Sun, Sep 22, 3:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Customers

Welcome to the MarketPlace Customers Forum

Forum Moderators: tim, msansing, ebasham

MarketPlace Customers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 1:25 am)

Contact and Support Information:

To reach our Marketplace staff, please open a support ticket at
support.renderosity.com

Our goal is to respond to support tickets within 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Subject: Download file names(product_file)

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 06 February 2014 at 10:03 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 3:48 AM

Is it just me or are others seeing that on you account page of an order the file name in the link to down load is nolonger the name of the file you clicked on to download

Many recently downloaded files just read product file and the a number (example: product_file_XXXXXX.zip numbers X'd out on purpose)instead of the fle name you see in the link.

The descriptive realated to the product file name makes locating files to install easy. The product_file naming makes things 100 time s more difficult.

Another issue this causes is before you knew which file downloaded contained the templates for that product if they were seperate and now you don't. I catalog and store all the template files seperately for the product for easy retrival.

Granted my computer is long on the tooth (I think it could be older then me and I am older then dirt :biggrin:) and has been acting up recently and a replacement has been ordered, is why I asked is it just me.

Thanks

Gary

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 06 February 2014 at 3:16 PM

We are starting to utilize Amazon S3 to improve accessibility to product files, especially since the file sizes are trending larger and customers were having issues downloading those large files .  The file will be named “product_file_xxxx.zip” instead of the display name for the ones that are on S3. We have made a temporary fix of giving the option of downloading either way (you can now see this on your downloads page.

Once we get all files converted to S3 the techs will make a permanent adjustment that will be what you all need for downloading but hopefully this temporary fix helps you for now:) 

Thank you

Stacey

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 06 February 2014 at 4:25 PM

Thanks...When it first happened I thought my browser went bonkers for some reason.

Now I know it was your fault and not mine (hahahaha)

Have a gone one.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

PAnn ( ) posted Thu, 06 February 2014 at 7:38 PM

I may be out of the loop here but what is Amazon S3?

Now I just downloaded my purchase tonight and maybe when I go unzip I will find out the answer myself - but I downlaoded everything and not sure whether I had to or not.

Pat

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 06 February 2014 at 7:51 PM

Amazon S3 is a cloud service many many app developers use to to house their large files. After you make a purchase and click on download Amazon is the source of the files and they are distributed to varoius servers located in various places to balance the load.

Been awhile since I tried it. But 2 years ago my portable drive I carry arround with my runtimes on it to use while in China with my laptop where my job takes me for 2 weeks after being in the states for 3 or 4, rinse and repeat, took a dump. I bought TechTool Pro to repair the drive and becuase I was in China which blocks a lot of urls, I couldn't dl the the files (they where housed on Amazon) and had to wait until I got back home to fix the portable drive. Might be different today however. Dl's from Rendoerosity direct are slower while in China then in the US, but at least they work :)

Gary

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 06 February 2014 at 8:57 PM · edited Thu, 06 February 2014 at 8:58 PM

I kept on getting a error with I tried to post. Please delete the duplicates and this post thanks

The error is Warning: S3::putBucket(bw-1651cf0d2f737d7adeab84d339dbabd3-forumpro, private, ): [SlowDown] Please reduce your request rate. in /rn1/renderosity/builds/production_1391720415/classes/class.s3.php on line 226 Cannot create bucket

Gary

Gary

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2014 at 9:40 AM

grichter,

That was the error you got when trying to post?

grichter ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2014 at 9:49 AM

Quote - grichter,

That was the error you got when trying to post?

Yes

After I hit reply that is what appeared in my browser (Firefox 27.0 Mac verison)

Gary

Sabby ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2014 at 9:00 PM · edited Fri, 07 February 2014 at 9:04 PM

Are the product names ever going to show up when you guys move completely over to S3, which I assume you're planning to do? ;/ Products in my download folder being named 'product_file_00000.zip means I have no clue what it is I downloaded... Unless I go and manually rename everything I download one by one... which is a bit of a hassle.

Renderosity Store :: Daz3D Store :: Facebook

wimvdb ( ) posted Sat, 08 February 2014 at 10:31 AM

The current random filename when downloading from S3 is a very big nuisance for all users. You have no clue what it is, no way to discover if you have the latest update of that product and is a major handicap when you want to keep your runtimes organized since there is no relation between a product and its filename

You absolutely need to find a real and permanent solution for this

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 08 February 2014 at 11:00 AM · edited Sat, 08 February 2014 at 11:01 AM

I am adding my two yens worth:

Oh dear.... non-descriptive product filenames are a small but annoying additional step for file management and archiving, for the end-user.  Sigh.

Eternal Hobbyist

Lyne ( ) posted Sat, 08 February 2014 at 12:52 PM

what the hay?   I do NOT  LIKE A NON DESCRIPTIVE FILE FROM AN UNKNOWN SERVER!!!!

I just saw this. but there were TWO files...one as expected with the name that I could download from Rendo's own servers (that I feel are safer!?) and a second "download from S3) so I DID NOT DOWNLOAD THAT FILE... I assume I am not now MISSING A PART OF MY PRODUCT?

Why and where is a complete explanation to all this?

In this day and age of viruses and threats, I have always felt "at home safe" with Rendo...now Rendo is farming out to other servers at who knows where? :(

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

jennblake ( ) posted Sat, 08 February 2014 at 2:57 PM

The file names will be going back to having the correct file names once all files have been transferred to S3. So in about a week or two this will no longer be an issue. While the files are in transition the numbering system is in effect. 

For a temporary fix for this, the programmers have added the ability to download from our server, which is the zip file name you see in your order as you are accustomed to. The other links says Download from S3..that is the file that will have the numbering system name. So if you do not like the number or generic file name, for now please click the area that has the full zip name to download. :) 

The file downloads are completely safe and there is no reason to worry on that issue. 

Lyne ( ) posted Sat, 08 February 2014 at 4:27 PM

thank you Jenn... appreciate the better explanation! :)

jennblake ( ) posted Sat, 08 February 2014 at 5:16 PM

Very welcome. :)

jakiblue ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2014 at 2:26 AM

ah! i've only just noticed the new [download from S3] link. Was really curious about that.

So I take it if the original file is in two parts, and the S3 link is only ONE, it's still the full product? Non-descriptive filenames don't bug me too much as I rename them before saving in the download, but I was really curious about this S3 thing.

rty ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2014 at 8:25 AM

You need to add a little line of explanation. I discovered that strange "Download from S3" link in my downloads today and wondered what it was. An alternate download link? Additional files (like, bonus files, since not all product had those links)?

That's why I came here and found this thread, to understand what is happening...

IMHO just rewording the "Download from S3" to "Alternate download server S3" would clarify things for everyone, explaining what this new thing is and which link to use.

jennblake ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2014 at 8:53 AM

I will put in your suggestion. :) As stated this is a temporary issue, hopefully it will be changed very soon.

Lyne ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2014 at 2:50 PM

OK real problem here!!  I CHOSE the RENDO "NAMED" FILES and just found out they landed into my downloads folder with NO NAMES... just "product number"... grrrr!!! I had to look inside each one with my pkzip and RE-NAME them before I forgot what was what! :(   

So your giving us a choice is not working... obviously now I do not know when I am downloading a NON-NAMED file, when clicking on one WITH a name... it's all getting really confusing! 

I may just stop buying anything, coupon or not, sale or not, until Rendo, the programmers adn servers are all TRULY settled! I don't have time for this in my busy life!

grichter ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2014 at 3:14 PM

Not the case with me. When you look at the product links if you want the named files just do the ones that have the names and skip the ones at say S3

The S3 links are the links that will return the same file as the product name that proceeded it in the list except the name will be product file. You don't need both.

Gary

jennblake ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2014 at 3:20 PM

file_501678.jpg

Hello Lyne. 

I am not sure how this is happening for you. I just went in and logged in as you to your account. I went to your most recent order which is 112472121 and I downloaded all of the products in that order by using the productname.zip links. Not the S3 links. I have made a screenshot  of  my downloads folder for you with the times they downloaded so that you can see they download with the file names as they should for me. If you would send your browser name and version number to us at store@renderosity.com with a screenshot of the files you downloaded so that I can show it to the programmers please? Thank you. 

3-DArena ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2014 at 10:19 AM

The named ones download as "named" for me.  However, I was having trouble with downloads in general.  Not sure if it was my FF browser, but I'd click a link and nada - nothing happened.  I had to re-load or open the order again to get downloads to work.  This happened on several of the files in my recent order - regardless of Rendo or Amazon choice.

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2014 at 10:45 AM

Quote - The named ones download as "named" for me.  However, I was having trouble with downloads in general.  Not sure if it was my FF browser, but I'd click a link and nada - nothing happened.  I had to re-load or open the order again to get downloads to work.  This happened on several of the files in my recent order - regardless of Rendo or Amazon choice.

When that happens, open FF tools>downloads and check how many files you are downloading at once. As stated above, my job takes me to China on business a lot. The ISP for my apartment in China, has a restriction on how many concurrent downloads or internet streams I can have going at a time. Since I can't understand the local TV I strean a lot of audio and video (iTunes or apple TV from the cloud) and if doing that when dl'ing from here the number of connections drops as controled by the Chinese ISP. If I reach the max streams do to the restrictions, then next one I click on to try to dl becomes just a  spinning beach ball while I wait for something else to finish and drop it's stream. Maybe your ISP doing the same, and restricting your number of concurrent dl's? Just a thought as to what the problem might be.

Gary

3-DArena ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2014 at 10:48 AM

I only download 1 at a time...

Thanks though :-)

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

Lyne ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2014 at 12:46 PM

hmmm well because I was freaked out by the strange "name" of the S3 files, I did NOT download them...and if I would have thought of it, I would have done a screen capture of mine, before I went and re-named them all...

BUT I did "fall prey" to the valentine sale and last day of my coupon (so much for my resistance! LOL!)  so when I do download that lot, I will pay close attention to every aspect and do screen shots if this odd thing happens again.

but for the record I shop with Chrome but I DOWNLOAD WITH IE 8 (which the rendo site still "hates") so I can see my downloads with a progress bar... hmmm I can do a screen capture of THAT showing the file, and it's name....then go right to my download folder, and screen shot the file as it "lands"...

and IF it happens again, I will give a full report, thanks.

jennblake ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2014 at 1:29 PM

Great. Thank you. :) 

Lyne ( ) posted Tue, 11 February 2014 at 8:28 PM

Well go figure... I did just download and watched each one when it got to my folder ...and they are all named properly... I HONESTLY did click on ONLY the ones with names last time...so I guess it will remain a mystery... BUT... all's well that end's well!

:)

jennblake ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2014 at 8:57 AM

I'm glad it's working correctly for you. :) 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.