Mon, Sep 9, 4:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Fading enamore for Poser, can it be revived?

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2014 at 1:52 PM

Quote - I don't think its realistic to expect Poser to incorporate all these features that only a very small percentage of its userbase would ever actually use.

Where do you come up with these figures?  Are you saying Poser users don't want realism in their renders?

Quote - That's not cost-effective for any business model. It's intended primarily for portrait style rendering or small scenes and that's what the majority of its users use it for.

Excuse me, but the "majority" use it for these purposes because that's all they can get out of it.  You're putting the cart before the horse to come up with your summations.

Quote - Beyond that it provides tools to port your work to other more advanced software if that's what you want or need to do. Maybe you've just outgrown Poser and need to start looking at learning more advanced software that better suits your needs. 

Wrong again.  They incorporated these export/import functions due to the demands of poser users who realized they are never going to fix/upgrade the features Poser is supposed to have, so they are forced to try to take it elsewhere.

Quote - ~Shane

Indeed?  I'm not really sure you want to sign off on that rubbish post.

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2014 at 2:07 PM

This entire thread is bumming me out.  Post after post of utterly failing to read the OP's tone and emotion behind frustration with Poser. 

Do you seriously think OP is trying to render the box art?  It's a figure of speech...hello?

Secondly, OP has been here for 1000 years.  It's not a lack of experience with Poser on OP's part.

Thirdly, we've all heard F-all about bloody Blender and Vue.  Seriously.  The OP is not begging for new software.  OP is frustrated with Poser and expanding outside of poser is, OP contemplates, perhaps more of a chore for the return.

What is frustrating OP about Poser, specifically?  It's not about specifics.  My guess it's a little bit of everything, because Poser is an equal opportunity frustrater. 

Like most classic miscommunications, OP is venting and here comes an army of "fix-it" techno people and you know what all of that does, (I'm guessing?)  It makes OP more frustrated because there's literally nobody in the community to sympathize.  

I, for one, do.  Same boat, OP.  I worry there are no answers for us.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2014 at 9:39 PM

What I'm getting from the OP is that she has spent the money allocated for her Poser upgrade on other things twice now.

What she wants is really good sale price.  The kind of pricing you find either just before the release of a new version or one that comes after the release of new version.

P10 was on sale back in October for 66% off.  There were sales on Pro 2014 but I oont' know how good they were.  If the OP really wanted the upgrade, she'd have held on to the money and waited for a decent discount rather than give into the "ooooh shiny" impulse and spent the money on the next new figure or whatever she spent the money on.  If it was RL neceitites my apologies.

As for archvis, terrain, and textures with SSS all in one scene, the tools are available.  You just have to work at it.  It may take some searching and actually doing more than clicking the mouse button.  It can even be done all in one render.

You posted pics of the Poser 7 box and Pro 2012 box.  What is the problem with the P7 pic?  I know the Pro 2012 pic is V4 (I don't know which texture Sydd used) and an AS outfit but it was rendered in Pro 2012.

What exactly is the OP ticked about?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2014 at 2:40 AM

Maybe you could just walk away from it for awhile, Misty.  Deal with life, work on other projects.  Then later, come back to Poser with a fresh perspective.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

mdbruffy ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2014 at 12:15 PM

file_502343.jpg

I've been using Poser since P5. I do a graphic novel using Poser and Photoshop Elements. I'll admit that right now, I'm waging war with 2014- it has a nasty habit of hanging and crashing- but I've found that with each new version, my end results get better- course I've got some 6 or 7 years experience with it now.

Lighting, textures, building sets or props, it can be done in Poser. I do use an outside program- Sketch-up- to build the pieces I need for sets and props, Then I assemble them in Poser. Today, I'm using content and figures I've had in my Runtime since Poser 5- and the figures especially- Victoria 3, Micheal 3, and yes, I've used the Poser males, too, look better.

toastie ( ) posted Sun, 02 March 2014 at 8:03 PM

I do like Poser, but to me Poser scenes always look like something shot inside a studio (and sometimes that's good!). When I want outdoors I always go to Vue. And for lots of indoor scenes as well. Single figures I like to do in Poser, but anything else in Vue. And now that you can bring all the material settings from Poser to Vue it's much better. There are a lot of very good tutorials for Vue so it's not hard once you start learning.

I never bothered upgrading from PP2012 to 2014. There just wasn't anything in the upgrade that justified buying it for me.

hornet3d ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2014 at 3:57 AM
Online Now!

Buying an upgrade is, in most cases, always going to be less bang for you bucks than buying new software purely on the basis that you will normally be buying a lot of the program up already have with an upgrade.  So you are buying just new features and only the person buying can decide if the features are value for money.

As to Poser doing that same as Vue, well I dread to think what the price would be looking at the cost of Vue 2014.  Poser is the only program I keep updated with every update all other programs I tend to skip a number of upgrades or just stick at a particular issue.  The problem I have now is that, so far, I have stuck at Vue 8 and Vue 2014 looks as though it may be a big enough jump to justify the price.  If I do I will also look at the option of paying a subscription each month to get future updates free as this appears to be a valid option.

To further complicate the issue I often find that is my imagination reaches it limit long before I reach any shortfalls in Poser. Add to that the likes of Bagginsbill shows on a regular basis that realistic outside scenes are indeed possible with Poser.  Maybe not all up to the standard of Vue but far exceeding anything I have produced to date. All of which means my efforts are limited by my knowledge and not the software.

For those pushing the limits of Poser I can understand the frustration but I don't expect anything we say here is going to turn Poser into a landscape creator of choice any time soon.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

aeilkema ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2014 at 4:21 AM

Quote - For those pushing the limits of Poser I can understand the frustration but I don't expect anything we say here is going to turn Poser into a landscape creator of choice any time soon.

I don't think so either, but just a little sidetrack, I do think DS is trying to go that route and from what I've seen the landscape don't even look that bad at all. Having said that, it's not even close to what you achieve with Vue's ecosystem :)

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2014 at 10:30 AM

this thread might help with some room woes.  if nothing else, was worth a giggle fit - tee hee

Subject: IDL and single faced architecture

my eyes aren't critiquely trained, didn't go to art school,

it's more like a sense of, this looks wrong.

i should stop including room ceilings in my render camera, lol

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2014 at 10:47 AM

Quote - I've been using Poser since P5. I do a graphic novel using Poser and Photoshop Elements. I'll admit that right now, I'm waging war with 2014- it has a nasty habit of hanging and crashing- but I've found that with each new version, my end results get better- course I've got some 6 or 7 years experience with it now.

Lighting, textures, building sets or props, it can be done in Poser. I do use an outside program- Sketch-up- to build the pieces I need for sets and props, Then I assemble them in Poser. Today, I'm using content and figures I've had in my Runtime since Poser 5- and the figures especially- Victoria 3, Micheal 3, and yes, I've used the Poser males, too, look better.

might i suggest, lighting could be much better in this.  lights in the light fixtures?

white-ish bar under the sofa dominates.

😄  one feature i forget to use is the inverse square light property

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 8:22 AM · edited Tue, 04 March 2014 at 8:23 AM

okay.  rubs hands like macbeth

bought the montespan bathroom, bedroom, to play with as lighting rendering exercise.

gonna try to render with minimum shmootz.

poser, luxus, 3delight, and cararra.

first trick is going to be to make the candle flames light like a candle flame.

anyone game?  :) 

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 8:50 AM

"What is frustrating OP about Poser, specifically?  It's not about specifics.  My guess it's a little bit of everything, because Poser is an equal opportunity frustrater.

**Like most classic miscommunications, OP is venting and here comes an army of "fix-it" techno people and you know what all of that does, (I'm guessing?)  It makes OP more frustrated because there's literally nobody in the community to sympathize.  **

I, for one, do.  Same boat, OP.  I worry there are no answers for us."

Hi  WTB You are correct sir, in that the OP was likely just venting and not looking for specific solutions.
but it does not help the she posted links to various other products and app renders ,unrelated to poser, except that the OP seemed to like what she saw in those other products /renders.

However such vagueness about ones dissatisfaction with poser, in general, tends
to inspire "other app partisans " to put in a vote for their favorite alternative solution for rendering poser content ( guilty as charged).

Her/your frustration is a common dilemma in using CG/3D software with the intention of doing a variety of scene types.

This happens even in the so called "high end" arena of users as there always seems to be some other app that can do some functions much better than your program.

IMHO you really only have a few options to solve this dilemma.

Live within the limitations of your current app and patiently hope for more features from SM or whomever owns the app.

Or somehow have alot of $$Money$$ and TIME to buy and learn:
vue or C4D+ the interposer pro plugin
or Autodesk MAX to use the poser fusion plugin etc etc.

That's the reality as I see it  

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 8:50 AM

That should be easy enough to do. Here's how I'd do it. Assuming the cadle flame is actuall part of the candle and not a separate element. I'd take a primitive ball, and fit it over the candle flame, using the morphing brush to get it into the shape of the flame , then increase the ambientce on it to cast a light.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 10:05 AM

Quote - That should be easy enough to do. Here's how I'd do it. Assuming the cadle flame is actuall part of the candle and not a separate element. I'd take a primitive ball, and fit it over the candle flame, using the morphing brush to get it into the shape of the flame , then increase the ambientce on it to cast a light.

what setting would you use for distance end?

hmm.  gonna light candles t'nite, not sure if shadows are crisp or they blurry around the edges.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 10:39 AM

Quote - "What is frustrating OP about Poser, specifically?  It's not about specifics.  My guess it's a little bit of everything, because Poser is an equal opportunity frustrater.

**Like most classic miscommunications, OP is venting and here comes an army of "fix-it" techno people and you know what all of that does, (I'm guessing?)  It makes OP more frustrated because there's literally nobody in the community to sympathize.  **

I, for one, do.  Same boat, OP.  I worry there are no answers for us."

Hi  WTB You are correct sir, in that the OP was likely just venting and not looking for specific solutions.
but it does not help the she posted links to various other products and app renders ,unrelated to poser, except that the OP seemed to like what she saw in those other products /renders.

However such vagueness about ones dissatisfaction with poser, in general, tends
to inspire "other app partisans " to put in a vote for their favorite alternative solution for rendering poser content ( guilty as charged).

Her/your frustration is a common dilemma in using CG/3D software with the intention of doing a variety of scene types.

This happens even in the so called "high end" arena of users as there always seems to be some other app that can do some functions much better than your program.

IMHO you really only have a few options to solve this dilemma.

Live within the limitations of your current app and patiently hope for more features from SM or whomever owns the app.

Or somehow have alot of $$Money$$ and TIME to buy and learn:
vue or C4D+ the interposer pro plugin
or Autodesk MAX to use the poser fusion plugin etc etc.

That's the reality as I see it  

Cheers

yep. lol. liked what i saw, and literally cried in envy 
i want to be an artist in the worst way, like how William Shatner is about singing. lol

firefly.can never have volumetrics, cuz of the bias thing?

people are going to hate me for dissing .. or already hating on me. what can a gal do?

cheers, offers some miso soup and warm sake 🍶

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 11:00 AM

I'm not really an artist in the way the rest of you claim to be. Which is probably why Poser doesn't frustrate me as much as it does some of you. I started using Poser as a means to an end. I wanted a way to storyboard screenplays I was writing. As I got more into it, I realised I could make much nicer pictures, and I do, but my ultimate use for Poser is to still use it to tell my stories. I realized a long time ago that it was not going to be through animation. That has a technical  ability that i seem to lack.

I've used it to illustrate my webcomic. And now, I'm starting to create content for it myself. Realistic pictures was never what i was aiming for. If that was the case I'd use a camera, and a video camera at that.

The closest thing I can think of to the way I think of Poser is watching Bob Ross doing a painting on PBS. I like the way he uses brush strokes  to give illusions of reflections and shadows. It'll never be realistic, but it does look so real.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 2:46 PM

Quote - I'm not really an artist in the way the rest of you claim to be. Which is probably why Poser doesn't frustrate me as much as it does some of you. I started using Poser as a means to an end. I wanted a way to storyboard screenplays I was writing. As I got more into it, I realised I could make much nicer pictures, and I do, but my ultimate use for Poser is to still use it to tell my stories. I realized a long time ago that it was not going to be through animation. That has a technical  ability that i seem to lack.

I've used it to illustrate my webcomic. And now, I'm starting to create content for it myself. Realistic pictures was never what i was aiming for. If that was the case I'd use a camera, and a video camera at that.

The closest thing I can think of to the way I think of Poser is watching Bob Ross doing a painting on PBS. I like the way he uses brush strokes  to give illusions of reflections and shadows. It'll never be realistic, but it does look so real.

okay.  now i challenge you to challenge yourself!  😄

is your goal is to attract people to look at your webcomic art?
what challenge would you set for yourself?

mdbruffy ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 3:10 PM · edited Tue, 04 March 2014 at 3:11 PM

Quote - > Quote - I've been using Poser since P5. I do a graphic novel using Poser and Photoshop Elements. I'll admit that right now, I'm waging war with 2014- it has a nasty habit of hanging and crashing- but I've found that with each new version, my end results get better- course I've got some 6 or 7 years experience with it now.

might i suggest, lighting could be much better in this.  lights in the light fixtures?

There are spotlioghts in the light fixtures as the main light sources. There's one light set to infinite and turned way down for fill.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 3:18 PM

Problem is, I'm fine with it. My goals with Poser change from time to time. Like I said, when I started i was doing screenplays and novels, now, I'm creating content. I'm fine with that. Although, i am challenging myself to make better content.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 5:58 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I've been using Poser since P5. I do a graphic novel using Poser and Photoshop Elements. I'll admit that right now, I'm waging war with 2014- it has a nasty habit of hanging and crashing- but I've found that with each new version, my end results get better- course I've got some 6 or 7 years experience with it now.

There are spotlioghts in the light fixtures as the main light sources. There's one light set to infinite and turned way down for fill.

maybe someone here can give better advice than the inifinite light for fill?  
the ladies' cheeks have the shmootzies.  

the bane of my poserdom, lol, cheek shmootzies.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.