Thu, Sep 19, 11:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:56 pm)

Subject: Sliding Door Figure Setup

Techyman ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2014 at 12:56 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:40 PM

I created a sliding door object in Sketchup (set within a wall) and imported them into DS PRO 4.6 with no problems.  I know how to set up a door and make it slide using the X Z translations, but I would like to set it up as a figure and create a parameter dial that will give me better control for animations and such.  Is there a simple way to do this or a good tutorial that can show me how to do this?  If the figure (it's part of a construction set I'm working on for a project) turns out to be good enough, I hope to put it out as a free download eventually.

Thanks in advance.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2014 at 3:34 PM

I'm not sure what you mean - a figure needs, to have any advantage, to have more than one bone - for example the door and the frame - is that what you have here?

Razor42 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2014 at 7:59 PM

file_502889.jpeg

If its a sliding door I think a morph would be a better solution then rigging. If its a hinge style door a simple bone rig works best.

cedarwolf ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2014 at 8:37 PM

Cool!  Definitely watching this thread.

jestmart ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2014 at 10:54 AM

A morph won't work better.  Parent the sliding door to the doorframe, hide the axes you don't want the door to move on and rename the remaining axis to Open and set limits.  Save as a Scene Subset to be able to load it back into any scene.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2014 at 2:51 PM

For a sliding door a morph would be fine, aside from the fact that you couldn't select the door itself if it wasn't a bone which might confuse users. Morphs are linear so they work for sliding motions, it's rotations - such as a hinged door - where they fail.

Techyman ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2014 at 7:57 PM

Thanks for the help.  I've been out of touch for the past several days, so I couldn't see the postings.  I can't wait to try.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.