Wed, Sep 18, 10:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Problems with Installers for Poser and Miki 4

AetherDream ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 7:48 PM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 10:47 AM

file_502394.PNG

Okay, not sure if anyone else has experienced this. I got a new computer a few months ago. I have Poser installed on the computer. I have not had any problems installing content on the program. Today I decided to try and install Miki4. I downloaded her latest update SR3 and tried to install it. I have tried pointing it to both the content and to the program itself on both versions of poser that I have installed, P9 and PP14. I keep getting this message after the installer initiates-- My OS is Windows 8. I have tried disabling my firewall to no affect. I attempted to use some other Poser installers and got the same message so it is not a problem with a corrupted Miki4 file. 

Does anyone have any ideas.

"People who attempt define what art is or is not, are not artists"---Luminescence

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 9:08 PM
Online Now!

And where is your content located?  Although I am running WinXP and have installed Miki4 into her own separate runtime, I never got an error message.  However, your image post does show an attempted installation into Program Files which may have been prevented by Win8 UAC.  

AetherDream ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 9:27 PM

I was wondering if it were something to do with Win 8. I remember encountering a terrible problem trying to install Vue a couple of years ago and it ended up being a Windows 7 thing. I was googling for a Windows 8 issue and didn't find one. I had previously installed poser on this OS with no problems, but of course there are all these updates that have been done and I am wondering if an update to my OS could be a problem somehow. 

"People who attempt define what art is or is not, are not artists"---Luminescence

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2014 at 9:55 PM
Online Now!

I suggest creating an external runtime exclusively for Miki 4 and place the folder elsewhere on your hard drive.  Maybe under Documents or a share folder.  Start the Miki 4 installation and direct it to that new folder.  If all goes well, you shouldn't see any error messages and you can simply link the external to P9 and PP2014.

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 05 March 2014 at 9:36 AM

I'm on Windows 8 and I've not had an issue with our updater. Also, reboot your system before attempting to reinstall.  That warning message suggests something that's running is also accessing a folder/file in question. Easiest way to limit that possibility is to restart and then do your install.   Curious - why the two versions? It doesn't matter in regards to your issue but I was just wondering.

islandgurl31 ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2014 at 10:10 PM

I got the free Miki 4 when I bought Poser 10 and I was wondering if I had to buy before I can get the SR3 update? Thank you for your time and patience :-). Take Care and have a wonderful night.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2014 at 10:26 PM
Online Now!

No need to buy; the SR3 is available if you downloaded Miki4 through CP.

islandgurl31 ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2014 at 10:46 PM

Thank You hborre :-). I love your avatar.....have a wonderful nite.

AetherDream ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2014 at 10:54 PM

Quote - I'm on Windows 8 and I've not had an issue with our updater. Also, reboot your system before attempting to reinstall.  That warning message suggests something that's running is also accessing a folder/file in question. Easiest way to limit that possibility is to restart and then do your install.   Curious - why the two versions? It doesn't matter in regards to your issue but I was just wondering.

Well I ended up doing a reformat on my system(a huge pain) but it actually worked. I have re-installed Poser and Miki4 and everything works. I guess something got corrupted somewhere in my system. I do tend to have monster runtimes so who knows. it was probably better for my computer anyway.

I actually like to do my material settings and development in Poser 9 and then test and do my more artistic fun renders in PP14 or PP12. I actually own all four of the latest versions and I like to be able to test my products in Poser 9, 10, PP12 and PP14 before I put them out.

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 9:46 AM

Quote - No need to buy; the SR3 is available if you downloaded Miki4 through CP.

Is it?   The last update notice I have for Miki 4 was SR2 in 2011.  It was said before that the free version was ineligible for the SR3 update; towards the bottom here......

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?79759-Installing-Miki-4-and-Tyler-in-Poser-Pro-2014

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 9:58 AM
Online Now!

Really!  I have to check my SR installers for both Miki4 and Tyler.  I do remember updating both last year, both free version when released.

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 11:10 AM

I misstyped the date; SR2 was 11/2012, not 2011

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

AmbientShade ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 1:03 AM
Online Now!

So how exactly do you get the update if you got the original Miki 4 and Tyler bundle for free?

This is rather confusing. I wasn't even aware of updates for them.

From the rdna thread, I'm getting the impression that you have to re-buy both figures just to get the update. Is this true?

What exactly does the update include or fix?

I did not buy extended download service. I never do as it's a complete rip-off imo. No other store does this that I'm aware of.

Even here, I can still redownload everything I've ever bought, even things that are no longer available in the store. 

So, what's the deal?

~Shane

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 8:58 AM
Online Now!

I obtained both Miki4 and Tyler for free when they were released.  And when the SR's were announced, I updated the files without any problems through my account.  The last service release I own is SR2.  

Now, I did check the RDNA link WandW provided and I did not see any mention of SR3 unless I am missing something rather obvious.  Can someone verify that an SR3 really exists or is there a newer Miki4/Tyler release that incorporates all the fixes?

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 9:59 AM · edited Tue, 11 March 2014 at 10:08 AM

As I understood it, the update was to the installers as there was an issue with Poser 10/PP2014 when they came out.  I just ran the installers, and they worked.  However, the Face Room didn't work afterwards (for any figure) and I had to reinstall PP 2014 to fix it...

EDIT I should note that I have PP2012 installed on this machine, and that's were it wanted to install it; the PP2012 content directory. I had to point it to my expternal runtime...

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 10:30 AM
Online Now!

Ah!  I assume that the separate external runtime is safer.  That is where my Miki4 resides and I have not had any problems with her in PP2014 (also have PP2012 installed).  She still works.  Haven't attempted to use her in the Face Room yet, though.

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 11:05 AM

I'm not sure what the deal is with the Face Room not working; I hadn't tried it since I upgraded Poser to SR 3.1 the other day, so it could be related to that.  Both Tyler and Miki 4 now work in the Face Room...

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 11 March 2014 at 12:00 PM
Online Now!

Good to know.  Thanks.

islandgurl31 ( ) posted Thu, 13 March 2014 at 9:55 AM · edited Thu, 13 March 2014 at 9:56 AM

Miki4 did get updated :-). My download link expired so I had to buy the extended download just to get the updated Miki4...sigh! My file says this Miki4_win_SR3 as I am windows....lol. Hope this helps some. Thank you again SM for the update. Take care and have a wonderful day!

P.S. Tyler still says SR2 :-)

WarrenWR ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2014 at 5:14 AM

Um, okay, I'm not specifically seeing what I'm looking for here, I think ... I have Poser 10 (Windoze 8.1) and was ready to throw it out entirely because of the intolerable library problems. This new update came along late March and I installed it, now the libraries work (YAY!) but the faceroom is completely inaccessible. The dowload manager seems to have deleted the files when it was done with them, so: no "ReadMe" to find out what's going on.

I saw a comment about reinstalling a plugin I don't seem to have at all ... it solved someone's problem. Any ideas? (Thanks!)

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 01 April 2014 at 6:56 AM

The readme is here...

http://poser.smithmicro.com/update_files/Poser10SR3.1Readme.rtf

I'd reinstall Poser and the update.  What I do for PP2014 is to enter my serial number into the Download Manager and it will redownload all of the files, with the update (ver. 10.0.3.26510) incorporated. Make sure your Download Manager settings are set to keep a version or two's installation files.

After it downloads, install, and since you are having problems, tell the installer to backup existing preference files, and to install the content in the directory where you previously installed it.  Once it's running, you can find tghe backed up preference foles somewhere in uour user folder in the hidden folser AppDataRoaming somewhere, and replacing the corresponding files in AppDataRoamingPoser10; you certainly will want to replace LibraryPrefs.xml if you have external runtimes....

WarrenWR ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 2:04 AM

Thank you! I'll devote some effort to that ... manana.

ratscloset ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 7:48 PM

I have seen some cases, mostly custom Poser installation options, where if you have Poser 9 or Poser Pro 2012 on your system and you can not get the Miki4 to run, (The installer looks for the newest first, but if it does not find it, it goes to the next oldest) Sometimes, Windows Users can right click and run as Admin and it works, if not, all you need to do is to change the Poser 9 Application Folder Name temporarily to HOLDPoser 9

You can do the same with the Poser.exe or Poser app (IE HOLDPoser.exe) (Not sure if that is needed)

You may run into security on some systems, where you need to access as Admin. to change names. If you hide known extensions on Windows, Poser.exe (or PoserPro.exe) will not display the .exe but will have the Logo next and be an application file

Then run the Miki 4 installer, it should find Poser 10 or Poser Pro 2014

If you have obtained Miki 4 at CP, Free or otherwise, contact support saying you need the updated installer for Poser 10/Poser Pro 2014. Include the original Order Number.

It would have been added to your original order, but since it has been a while, it may have expired again.

Whenever Downloads are expired and there was an update, always contact Support first with the Order Number and Product.

Any other questions, always contact Support for specifics of your situation.

ratscloset
aka John

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.