Wed, Sep 18, 10:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: A few rookie questions

friscolives ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 12:06 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 3:44 PM

I am using Poser Pro 2014. My computer is Windows 7 (although I also have this loaded in a Windows 8.1 laptop. I have 6 gb of memory (maybe too little?) and a dedicated video card for the desktop. Laptop is just radeon graphics (decent though I think anyway)

So the new guy dumb questions:

I want to make seperate runtimes for figures I will be using. I have been advised this might be the best way to go, so should I simply make a folder called "runtime" on my desktop and install the content to it, or should I make seperate "runtime" folders for each different characters ( example one folder for V3, another for V4.2,  another for Miki4 etc.)

Is the desktop a good place for these, or should I make the folder in my documents?

Another issue. I run both Poser and Daz studio. I understand Vickie is made my Daz. I have heard there is some special installer I need (drives me crazy that I cant think of the name, something on the likes of ISDN installer for poser, something like that) and I need it to make the files compatible with poser. I'm not sure if I need a special thing like that to make morphs and things work. I have some figures, as well as morphs for body and face, just not sure best way to install them all.

Yet another dumb question. Where do I find the dials for the morphs. I load the morphs, but see no effect on the figures. I've heard there are dials to adjust for this, just not sure where they would be. Parameter dials perhaps? I tried the face room and most figures dont apply to that.

Sorry for the new guy questions. Still trying to get a handle on this, and finding tutorials isnt as easy for me as I'd hoped.

Thanks again to all for taking the time to help me fumble my way through this. It's a ton of fun, just the learning curve is a little tricky to us older people trying to get into this hobby. I'm learning slowly, but surely. Sadly not many courses on Poser at my local community college.

Chaosophia ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 12:32 PM

As for runtime, what I do is make a folder called somethign like Poser Content Installed, then I make other sub folders, hair, v4 characters, v4 clothing, poses, props ect. then iinstall the content in the proper area, then go into poser and load the runtimes via the add runtime tab on the content window, that way I have it seperated into areas so i can easily get to what I am looking for.

I generally put them in my hard drive away froom the my settings or desktop, but that may be different with each user, it is just what works for me, but I am also using Poser 10, so there might be need for those areas, that I am unaware of.

As for the morphs bat file, it can be found in your V4 content area where installed they have to be loaded in order for them to work, if you are loading v4 from the new daz zip format, just learned that bit last night myself. I truely understand that frustration first hand.

the file isin the !Daz folder called. , DzCreateExPFiles-V4.bat

See above to answer the dials question, I had to run the batch file to get morphs ++ to work as they did from the natural V4 installer from Daz past.

Face room I beleive is different than the parameter morphs again, idk for sure since I run 10 and not pro. but I think it would be the same. but the face room is more considerably to be used for the Poser figures instead of 3rd party ones. from my understanding of it, but I have only played with the face room once in version 7.

All is good on the questions it is how we learn after all.

DarwinsMishap ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 12:36 PM

The DSON importer for Poser is from Studio for the Genesis and Genesis 2 products- you'll need that to import these into Poser unless you want to do more work and take a scene from Studio to Poser as a Collada DAE (if that even works) import.

I have different Runtimes for Clothing, Character, Vehicles, Weapons, Props, Nature on my external, as well as Runtime for the Poser Native items that came with the program.  (Barring shaders, Python Scripts, Plug-Ins and Add ons, of course- those I placed with the Poser main files on my C drive).  You simply have to add them to your Library in Poser to use them.  I don't know if the desktop is a good place for them, though.

Morph dials will be below the translation/scale/rotate (In the General area of the dials) shown in the body of the model.  When you "inject" the morphs (Elite, ++, Base) into V4, for example, you're not -changing- anything- you're opening the dials TO morph her.  

General

Translation

Scale

Rotate

Victoria 4

Body

Hip

Wide...etc.

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 2:21 PM
Online Now!

One of the problems with adding the runtime to the desktop is, I believe, that Windows will load it each time the PC is strated so a large Runtime could slow Windows when loading.  I say 'believe' as I think this was the case but not sure with Windows 8.

Another factor could be the hardware on your machine.  If the C drive is a Solid State Drive, and by default the desktop lives on the C drive, You might want to place the Runtime on a conventional drive to reduce the read /writes to the SSD and extend it's life.  This is what I have and the Poser Temp files are moved to my D drive along with all other temp folders and my Runtimes, 40 individual Runtimes, are on my E drive.  Both my D and E drives are conventional 2Tb drives leaving my C drive for Windows and programs only.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 3:21 PM
Online Now!

There are no more DAZ installers, that is a thing from the past.  For V4, you do not need the DSON Importer; that is strictly for Genesis and Genesis 2 as mentioned from a previous post.  The initialization is a must as also described.

When creating a new external runtime folder follow the instructions Mahakali suggested. Except don't attempt to create the subfolders within the runtime folder.  Allow Poser to do that for you.  Simply add the runtime to Poser and the Library will automatically create the necessary subfolders.  You can even create a runtime through the add runtime feature in Poser.  When the navigation window opens, click add folder button on the lower left, create a category folder, click the button again, then add the runtime folder.

geep ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 3:31 PM · edited Thu, 03 April 2014 at 3:34 PM

Attached Link: Runtime Redux tutorial compliments of Dr Geep Studios

file_503280.gif

Check it out. 😄

Click the Attached Link to view the complete tutorial and then ...
See Page 8 for creating a new Runtime.
It was done for Poser 6 ... but you might find some of the information helpful.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Chaosophia ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 4:13 PM · edited Thu, 03 April 2014 at 4:14 PM

my mention of runtime was meant for the question the op posted, sorry if I confused you, it wasn't meant to set up the subfolders in the runtime folder.

Poser Content Installed/Hair/runtime

Poser Content Installed/Characters V4/runtime

Poser Content Installed/Poses/runtime

charlie43 ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 6:46 PM

There is also the DAZ Install Manager, which is helpful indeed for downloading and installing content that is purchased from DAZ, such as Vickie,Stephanie and others. I use this app whenevr I am upgrading or reorganizing  In the settings tab, you can specify the path to both Poser, DAZ and Cararra.

A quote from the documentation: "Since you may also use the products you get from DAZ 3D in applications other than DAZ Studio (i.e. Carrara or Poser), Install Manager allows you to set up multiple installation paths and then bookmark them for convenience. And while it can be used successfully with other applications, it has an additional benefit when used with DAZ Studio v4.x and/or Carrara 8.5 Beta, in that it communicates with the Content Management Service (CMS) to install any metadata that the product provides."

I still do not have my head wrapped aroiund all the metadata nonsense, but I am old and my brain is tired. I use two 500GB drives and do a hornet3d suggest, with all program files on C drive and content on D; drive. In D: I have a folder named "Poser Runtimes" and inside this folder are subfolders with specific names for each set of content, such as weapons, props, buildings, characters, etc. Works for me...

HTH

Charlie~

ssgbryan ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 7:45 PM

I have a folder called

Additional Runtimes  No, it isn't very original, but it is descriptive.

In it, I have 89 runtimes installed.  Why so many?  To start with, I have 1 for each figure (Miki, Dawn, Mariko, Adman, Alyson 1, MyMichelle etc).  In addition to that, I have certain special runtimes such as V4 clothing, Hair, Ancient Environments, Industrial Age Environments, Modern Environments, SF Environments etc.

The reason I break them down like this is that by doing it like this, I can load only the runtimes that I need.  For example, when I am working on my Star Trek graphic novel, I'll load my Star Trek runtime (which holds props, sets, and uniforms) and then whatever characters I am using, for example G2 female (Sydney, Jessi, & Olivia) SM G1 male (James & Koji), Genesis (for Dariofish's cool Genesis aliens). If I am working on my horror graphic novel, I'll load up a couple of figure runtimes, say Roxie, Miki 1, and Rikishi for figures and then my Modern environment runtime, which holds sets and props from the 20th century.

By doing it this way, I am not making Poser dig through half a terabyte of Poser content while I am working.

ratscloset ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 8:02 PM

I have to pipe in on this one...

Unless you fully understand permissions and shared settings for Windows Vista and later (especially Windows 7 and Windows 8.x) I recommend you install the Content to the Optimal location, the Public Documents.

I have a folder called Poser Content (Poser 10 Content, Poser Pro 2014 Content, etc.. depending on version), in that is the Default Poser Content and the Downloads Folder.

I have since started adding all my Custom Libraries to the Poser Content Folder and linking that to Poser using the Add Library.

All you need in the folder for a new Library location, when created, is a Runtime Folder, then when you add it to the Library using the Add Library option in Poser's Library, Poser fills in the rest and you can use the Intall from ZIP Archive on the Content Tab, or with Windows, you can often extract directly to the Parent Folder (Poser Content for the Main Library , Downloads, or any added Library Folder

The advantage to this is all your Custom Content can be in separate Libaries, easy to archive and Move to a new system when needed.

I will admit, all my Aftermarket Content on a Network Drive along with my one Default Poser Content for all versions of Poser, but that keeps me from having to have it installed on every machine in my Lab to have access to the content, just need to link to the Library location. I have one Poser Content (actual name) that is the shared Main Library for every version of Poser since Poser 7, so no duplicates.. yeah some content is not usable by the older versions, but I only keep them around for testing purposes.

Setting up the Sharing and with the way Microsoft has tweaked Security has caused some headaches with the location, but I do have a Default Install Test System that I test content installations on to the Downloads Library and a few others and that set up has never ecountered an issue.

ratscloset
aka John

moriador ( ) posted Thu, 03 April 2014 at 8:35 PM

This thread, on installing content into Poser runtimes, might help. Acadia has given some detailed descriptions about how she goes organizing things, and it's geared toward the newcomer.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3950813&ebot_calc_page#

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2014 at 3:36 AM
Online Now!

One small point I would add is that you may have a rpoblem if you decide to use Reality 3 and you have 'Runtime' in the main folder title.  I came across this when I first started using it with 'Poser 6 Runtime' as the name I changed it to 'Poser Content' and all is well.

I believe this is still the case but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.  I mention it just to save users of both problems time and trouble should they come across this.  I will add it is not a fault with either program and just a one of those working issues you can expect when dealing with such complex software.  Luckily in this case there is a very simple solution.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.