Sun, Oct 6, 12:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Heart Bleed Bug

Lenord ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2014 at 3:19 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 10:44 AM

For anyone who hasn't heard of it or read the article on the Front Page Heart Bleed Bug

I tried to comment on the article but I guess they didn't like what I had to say or something and it was never added, what ever the reason I'll say it here and at least it will be said even if it's just temporary.

Heart Bleed isn't a normal Virus, it doesn't do anything malicious to your computer, there is no trace after it has been used, nothing is installed or left behind, no trace at all. However all your sensitive private information is now in the hands of the Nefarious "Others". It's not new, it's been active for over 2 years, a flaw in the Open SSL/TSL security software that is indicated by the Padlock Icon on secure pages, all of them, on any Site that uses Open SSL/TSL which is basically 2/3 of the Internet. There is a Fix and it is being Fixed everywhere but that's kind of like yelling Fire after the fire is out, the damage is already done.

I would hope everyone knows there is no such thing as truley "Secure" or "Private" transactions on the Internet and act accordingly. I mean your Private sensitive information be it Financial, personal or whatever is bought and sold like Popcorn at a Movie Theater, it can be Farmed from wherever it is, on your own Computer or on a so called "Secure" Website (as the Heart Bleed Bug proves). Chances are if you haven't been hit by Identity Theft or had missing Funds or strange purchases charged that you didn't make doesn't prove that you haven't been Hit by the Bug it's just that you are not Rich or Important enough for the Nefarious Others to care about.

The ONLY way to keep your Private information Private is don't put it on your computer and don't buy anything on line, for Americans never do anything that involves divulging your Social Security number online. I do 2 of those things but I do buy stuff online, it's just so handy....the only way to have any sense of security is to change your Passwords religiously every 90 days or so ( a random password generator is very handy) it's a pain in the ass but necessary...and of course keep close tabs on Credit/Debit/Paypal accounts, whatever you use online, for any strange activity. 

This stuff is Bad, real bad but it's also a fact of life on the Internet, just be smart and be careful, at least Heart Bleed isn't one of those Viruses that can screw up your computer....just your Life

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

peedy ( ) posted Fri, 11 April 2014 at 11:45 PM

I agree, Len.
Just be careful what you put on the internet.
....looks like I am not rich and important enough...............hehehe

Corrie

bluart ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2014 at 11:39 PM

thank,s len i had my part of screw up generated by computers,just to mention the other day i received an email stating that a payment of $236 us was taken from my account

and still own $52 on a purchase i have never made .a mormal reflex would be to open it to find out  what,s going on.  but i did,nt .buying on line is very practical ,be wise establish a rock bottom limit to the card you use online and your paypal account ,so no fraud desaster

can ruin your life. years ago i have decided i was tired to pay high credit card bill,so i have cancel my major credit cards and kept one just for emergency with the lowest limit you can get and the bank to raise that limit have to call me first.

Lenord ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2014 at 7:03 AM

Yep, it can happen no matter how careful you are. I have never and never will do Banking online to me that's just Dumb, or any business with the IRS or Social Security or the Veterans Administration online because you have to dilvulge your Social Security number. The only Card I use online is a Prepaid Debit Card I use to pay Utilities, Phone, Internet and if I see something I want badly online, a few hundred bucks on it at most at any one time, if they snag that it will piss me off but won't really hurt me in the long run.

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

bluart ( ) posted Wed, 16 April 2014 at 10:56 AM

i agree with you ,i don,t do banking on line eiter,recently our canadian goverment revenu department was hit by the bug,they had to cancel the online tax  declaration of income  for a week and a half.so if the goverment can be hit every one can be.as far as my credit card limit.

there is not enough there to pay my family grocerie for a week.

be very careful about the fake bills ,or free stuff online ,and survey from your favorite  website . these are common tactic

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.