Fri, Sep 20, 6:57 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:16 am)

Subject: Why does it look like this?

Hecta ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 2:34 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:54 AM

So I'm using the "Victoria 6 HD Add-On" and I realized that the model i'm using looks very different than the one that they put on their site (I mean on quality, not the shape)

This is how it's suppose to look

How mine looks (it's rendered)

Why the original looks great and mine loos like sh*t!!??  Am i doing something wrong?

The one i'm using IS the HD version, not the standard one

Zoe ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 3:07 AM

I do not know how familiar you're with poser but to me it looks as if you use standart render settings and light? Moreover, your character uses no makeup. Just take ibl lighting and other render settings. Then it should be better.

Razor42 ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 6:59 AM

Daz PA's go to great lengths to render the figures at there optimimum.

Lighting is crucial as well as a high quality texture sets for your figure.

Geometry wise I would say the two renders are a pretty much a close match and the HD set is a geometry addon for the figure which is Geometry.

Most of the skin and lip detail in the image from the promo's you included are textural not geometry.

manleystanley ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 7:05 AM

Quote - I do not know how familiar you're with poser but to me it looks as if you use standart render settings and light? Moreover, your character uses no makeup. Just take ibl lighting and other render settings. Then it should be better.

Agree. As much as DAZ may try to convince you it is, this is not load and shoot. Learning how to set up the render engine; render settings and matterila settings, is as importent as learning how to load and stage a character. No amount of HD textures or HD morphs are going to look good with default render settings.

I can't help you with the render settings in Studio because I don't render in Studio. But I know people that know lol http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/16085/

I render in Carrara, my app of choice. It's default rendering looks better then most everything that comes out of Studio lol

Razor42 ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 7:28 AM

I guess some things never change... everyone ready for another derailed thread through Stanleys Trolling...

It really is just trolling mate, your comment here adds very little to the subject of conversation but unwaveringly takes every advantedge of any glimmer of any possible cheap shot you could get in at Daz/DS.

Nothing constructive to add, but you sure managed to slip in some flammable comments once again... really isnt that the definition of what trolling is?

manleystanley ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 11:24 AM · edited Mon, 09 June 2014 at 11:26 AM

If you had just blown it off,

1. It wouldn't be getting derailed.

2. It would be someone expressing an honest opinion, not trolling.

Seriously, I'm trying to get along with you but you just want to be a D word.

I put a link up to a thread that gives a link to and explanations of some render presets for studio. How is that not helpful? And how is any part of that; excluding the carrara plug, off topic?

I stated a fact about carrara's render engine. Don't like it? Lump it. Man I agree with you and you still just want to press an argument. So whom is the troll here, the person expressing an honest opion or the person trying to start an argument about it?

You just want to stir the pot.

jestmart ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 11:37 AM

It isn't a fact.  Carrara's rendering engine developement has lagged behind the 3DeLight rendering engine used by Studio.  Lack of knowledge on setting up surfaces and lights is the main reason for bad renders.

markht ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 4:02 PM

The Victoria 6 HD promo image was probably rendered in DAZ Studio.  The difference between the professional promo image and your render is posing and lighting.

This is also true of photograph. When you hire a professional photographer, yeah he has a better camera and lenses than your phone or pocket camera, but the big difference is he understands posing and how to use or create lighting. If you had his camera and lenes, you would still take boring pictures.

It is the same thing with 3D rendering. You need to learn how to do posing and lighting. There are various tutorials out there on lighting in DAZ Studio, but the technology has changed a lot in the last few years.

DAZ Studio comes with the uberenviroment light for global illumination, the standard distant, point, linear point and spot lights. Also the UberArea lights come with DAZ.

Recently a lot of people are using the Advanced lights from Age of Armour. The Advanced Ambient light can provide global illumination or can simulate indirect lighting and it usually renders faster than UberEnviroment ligts. The main advantage of the advanced distant and spot lights are faster render times, but you have to know a lot about lighting to understand how to use them and get that benefit.

I also use the InaneGlory Photo Studio - Point and Shoot 2 a lot. It gives you lights that are similar to those used by proffessional photographers in a photo studio.

The thing to keep in mind is buying all those light sets is NOT going to magically improve you renders. You need to learn how to do lighting.  Learn the basics 3 point lighting. Learn how to create dramatic lighting. You can do all that with the lights that come free with DAZ Studio.

Notice the promo image lighting. The far side of the body and face is brightly lite up while the near side had normal lighting levels with very soft shadows. This kind of rim lighting makes for dramatic images. Your image has much flatter, more uniform, lighting which makes it less interesting.

It takes practice and study to learn to do renders approaching the quality of the proffessional promo renders DAZ does.

Razor42 ( ) posted Mon, 09 June 2014 at 8:47 PM

Manley i think you have a serious misunderstanding of what trolling means.

"As much as DAZ may try to convince you it is," bait cast 1

"I render in Carrara, my app of choice. It's default rendering looks better then most everything that comes out of Studio lol" bait cast 2

You come to the Daz Studio forums and in a single post have a cheap shot first at Daz3d then at Daz Studio. Then if someone calls you out you repond with verbal attacks and say "nooo your the troll..." your second post is even more trollish in nature than the first.

The only thing on topic in your first post is the link to the DAZ3D Forums. The rest, sure its your opinion, but its put here to inflame. The point this thread was derailed is when you had a cheap shot at 3D delight as a render engine. Im not argueing with you but i also dont agree. But im not going to go into the carrara forums and start firing cheap shots at any flaws in carrara based on my opinion alone as that would be trolling. 

manleystanley ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2014 at 6:21 AM

I think it's pretty clear who is in the wrong here. I really think you need to step back and reevaluat your motivation for trying to pick a fight with me every time I post. And that is all you are doing, picking a fight.

Who's posts are way off topic? Who is trying their damnedest to start an arguement? Who is majorly derailing this thread?

It's not me.

Razor42 ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2014 at 7:42 AM

Im not argueing or fighting mate just stating how it is. If thats to confronting for you, well maybe you should think a little before bombing these threads. I dont feel any need to defend my statements or justify myself as you said its pretty clear to everyone reading these threads where the trouble originates.

Something can't be derailed twice. Once its been pulled off topic its already off topic.

tparo ( ) posted Tue, 10 June 2014 at 8:01 AM

Quote - I think it's pretty clear who is in the wrong here. I really think you need to step back and reevaluat your motivation for trying to pick a fight with me every time I post. And that is all you are doing, picking a fight.

Who's posts are way off topic? Who is trying their damnedest to start an arguement? Who is majorly derailing this thread?

It's not me.

Yes it is you, I'm sick of your cheap shots at Daz and DS.

I realise that noone gives a dam about these forum here at rendo but I am sick of seeing you consistantly give out misinformation. You cause argument after argument in every thread you post in here.

If someone asks a question and you have the answer then post it, they don't need your heavily biased opinions.

I didn't come to this site much as it was I visit even less since you started your garbage spouting.

The only advise I will give to the OP is post your questions at the DAZ forums especially the new users forum, you will get well informed help and answers. People there are happy to walk you through any problems you are having without the personal rants.

Rendo don't care about DS users and have made this blatenly clear.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.