Wed, Sep 18, 10:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Exploding morph !

Image-Edit ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 2:12 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 12:51 PM

Hi All, i am desperate to try and fix this error.

I have exported V4 head via Blacksmith3D's guidline and then loaded it onto the base V4 character to see if exploded but it was ok, worked a treat so my head obj is good to go for sculpting.

I then gave it to a friend to sculpt in zbrush where he just pushed or pulled the verts to match a face i liked, then he sent the obj back.

The poly and vert counts are identical to the original V4 obj and it loads as a morph target with no errors.

But,

Now when i turn the dail to apply the morph the whole head either implodes or explodes depending on the direction of the dail turned.

If i load the morph target with poser attempting to correct the vertex order the the head either stretches up or down !!

How can i fix this please peeps.... :(

cfpage ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 3:06 PM

well its no mystery your vertex order got mix-up

if it is stretching up or down the head was moved in world space

sorry to tell you their is nothing you can do as far as I know

maybe some else can tell you a fix for it but  I dont think so.

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 3:10 PM

Sorry, but the only "fix" is to start over and carefully check each export - import- export the keep vertex order.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 3:10 PM

a) remember that you are not permitted to share mesh like that. b) by explode, do you mean scales up or down or do you mean crumples up into a jagged ball? The former would simply indicate a scaling issue - load the OBJ, without the scaling options checked, and compare it with V4. The latter would be a vertex order issue.

Image-Edit ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 3:13 PM · edited Mon, 07 July 2014 at 3:23 PM

REALLY !!! :(

it crumples into jaggies, or if i use vertex correction it stretches :/

So its a vertex issue....but how can i stop this if i start over, i followed all the guides to the letter ?

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 3:25 PM

Sorry to say, unfortunately.

Technically it "can" be done as an obj file is just a txt file.
But I would not punish a 5-10 year prisoner, that can devote all his time to this, to try to get it working. LOL.

Hey, Blender can do exactly what you want to achieve, and Blender is free.
(and it would be legal to do it yourself)

Sharing a mesh, or even a part of a Poser/DAZ mesh is not legal. (V4 is from DAZ)

Image-Edit ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 3:32 PM

I got V4 from daz, many moons ago, i only got him to help sculpt my V4 head...not share it :/ ?

But anyhow i will try this blender ;) thanks for the tip :D

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 3:39 PM

Download Blender 2.71, it is free, and search youtube (or other channels) on sculpting tutorials in Blender.

In all, it took most of us 1 to 2 months to master the "basics" of Blender to make morphs and sculpts  for Poser/DAZ figures.

I came from Hexagon (another 3D modeler app) , and could do the above in a few "study" days.

Good luck, some patiance, and you will be rewarded.
Best regards, Tony
PS : there are some good Blender forums to get you going too.

Image-Edit ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 3:41 PM

Thank you Tony :) your positivity is lifting my spirits :p

I will check it out.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 4:43 PM

@Image-Edit just a suggestion because it sounds like your work-flow is going funky somewhere.

Export V4 (or whoever you are using) out of Poser and into your modeling/sculpting program and DO NOTHING! Just turn right around and export that sucker out of there. Now re-import that obj into Poser as a morph target.

If it blows up then your app is screwing with the vertice count. If it doesn't you are good to go.

If you are using multiple apps then do the very same thing as above just add one app at a time to the workflow until you find the problem. 😄

Easy-peasy!

Comitted to excellence through art.

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 9:50 PM

If you know someone with, or purchase, uvMapper Pro, it can correct vertex order...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 11:03 PM

You know, if your friend also uses Modo and worked on layers in ZBrush (or had stored a morph target before starting work without layers) you can actually salvage this with minimal effort.

Simply export the morph and export the non-morphed head (both from ZBrush). Go into Modo. Load in the non-morphed head from ZBrush. Then go Vertex Map> Background Morph Tool. Under the Lists tab for the object find the Morph Maps section and create a new morph map. Then import the morph from ZBrush. Click once in the viewport (you want to make sure the background morph tool reads 100% not more or less). Then hit the space bar to exit the Background morph tool. So now you have the morph stored in modo but you need to transfer it to a working head.

Import a working version of the head (one you know won't explode). If done correctly it should open in its own"scene". Then copy the mesh from the other scene (the one with the morph map) into the new scene as it's own mesh - if you use Modo, you'll get what I mean here.  Now for the fun part:

With your working head selected create a Morph Map for it. Then go Vertex Map>Transfer. A dialog box will appear and in the area called Source Vertex Map, choose the map for the morph you loaded from ZBrush (hopefully you gave it a name another than morph).  Voila. You have transfered the morph! Easy.

Now to get it out of Modo, you need to create another morph map for the working head and then go Vertex Map>Apply Morph. This will activate the morph in a way that it can be exported (otherwise, you'll just export the base not the morph).  Then Go File>Export. Done deal.

You can read Luxology's official explanation of the process here:

http://docs.luxology.com/modo/601/help/pages/modotoolbox/Vmaps/TransferVmap.html

Anyway, just thought I'd pass that on for any modo users who run into this issue. It's one way to salvage a bad situation. It's not always 100%  - it works best if the two base meshes are similar and positoned in the same place within 3D space. Also it helps if the base head the bad morph was generated from is still intact. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't be able to do this. I guess you could also use ZBrush's projection but that can be hit or miss.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2014 at 1:04 AM · edited Tue, 08 July 2014 at 1:17 AM

Image-Edit :

Since you have Max then you don't even need Blender.

If ya just starting to learn to make morphs.
Might I suggest you just stick to Max.
There's really no reson to use multiple app's to make morphs.
Ya would just be making more work and probleams for ya self for no reson.

We all go thru a lot of headaches learning CGI.
but stick with it .
It will all become very easy in time.

A good practice for beginers is to learn with small 10 minutes projects.
morph a sphere,rig a pipe,texture a piramid.
That way ya don't half to redo what took a week to do.
hurts a lot less to waste 10 minutes then a hole week.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

Image-Edit ( ) posted Wed, 09 July 2014 at 3:25 PM

WOW thanks everyone....lots to read and think on here,

@Teyon...i will defo ask my friend about this option :)

I will post back as soon as a resolve is met,

Again, thank you all so much.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.