Fri, Sep 20, 3:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: slightly soapy water

pumeco ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2014 at 7:10 AM

I'm not saying this lightly, the Poser node system never fails to impress and neither does the skill by some of the people here, I wish I could grasp it so well.

Looking at this shader reminds me of a "snow system" that was posted on another forum somewhere.  It was incredibly lifelike because it basically covered a scene with snow so that the snow really built-up in open areas and less so where things are partly covered, just like in real life.  Looking at it closely, you could see that in order to pull-off a shader like that, you would need a way to give the effect of buildup within the shader.

Why am I saying this?

Looking at this foam shader it's doing just that, it's like the foam is floating on the water, yet the water is what it should be, clear, or in other words, like a buildup of layers where the top is not effected by the underneath.  After seeing this foam shader, can't help thinking the snow thing would be possible as well.

Anyway, perhaps snow is something you might tackle once you perfected this, but either way 👍

EventMobil ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2014 at 6:19 PM · edited Wed, 13 August 2014 at 6:19 PM

@ pumeco:

Talking of snow, I guess the shader you have seen was Snarlygribbly's Snow Machine. I have it for long time already, and in fact it inspired to look deeper into what we can do with the P-Node, and also the N-Node. Snarly's snow machine gives you the choice of increasing or decreasing the displacement offset, in order to have a thick or a thin snow layer on the basic material, just like I have done with my foam shader. The snow machine also evaluates the slope of the underlying object to determine whether snow can lie on it (more horizontal) or cannot lie on it (more vertical slope), this is done by evaluating the y-component of the N-Node.

Second inspiration were very many posts of Bagginsbill, who has so often suggested the use of 2 or more material layers which can be blended (or masked) into each other by various elaborated control node combinations. So there is nothing really new in my shader, maybe apart from the way I tried to create the foam surface detail. When I found it came closer to the 'bubbly' sort of foam, I became more courageous with the displacement and found it can work out a little more 'fluffy' than just the flat soapy foam.

Another occasion where I used a cascade of 3 material layers was to cut Victoria4 open on a morgue table... I created a black/white mask image of a cut along her body, blending in the muscle texture map. Then another (slightly smaller) black/white mask image, which blended in transparency to her skin in this area, exposing the underlying organs and skeleton. So from outside to inside blending her skin from normal (however bloody ;-)) skin to muscle map skin then to transparency. Creating the same two black/white mask images with additional blurred contours could be used as displacement maps, thus bending the skin a little bit outside at the rims of the hole, like in reality. I never posted something with it though, it became far too realistic and disturbing, when I came close to reality, smile...

Thanks so much for appreciation, I hope I can return something back to the community where me myself have so often benefitted from the knowledge shared by others :-)

Poser Pro 2014 GameDev, Lightwave 11.6.3, Blacksmith3D Pro 6, Bryce 7, Carrara Pro 8.5, Reality 4 & LuxRender, Python 2.7 & Wx-Python, UV-Mapper Pro, XFrog 3.5, Paintshop Pro X7, Apophysis 7x64

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Don't render faster than your artistic guardian angel can fly...

EventMobil ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2014 at 6:32 PM

file_506589.jpg

Here is some dust layer on a truck...

Poser Pro 2014 GameDev, Lightwave 11.6.3, Blacksmith3D Pro 6, Bryce 7, Carrara Pro 8.5, Reality 4 & LuxRender, Python 2.7 & Wx-Python, UV-Mapper Pro, XFrog 3.5, Paintshop Pro X7, Apophysis 7x64

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

EventMobil ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2014 at 6:34 PM

file_506590.jpg

And here is how to evaluate the slope of a surface with the n-node, to limit any snow/dust/foam to more horizontal areas and suppress the layer in more vertical areas.

jamminwolf ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2014 at 7:35 PM

Wwwwooow!  EventMobil, I gotta say this is awesome!  And of course, Bagginsbill... thanks to both of you for the lessons and freebie.  I'm quite interested in learning this, but my hands are tied for quite a while, I'll certainly save this page as favorite for later reference (but then I may take a break from my character creation and use it on one of them hehe).

Mainly I just gotta say I didn't think these suds (real looking ones) would ever look real in Poser, much less the cutting point where the body is under water, that's just awesome!

...wolfie

pumeco ( ) posted Sat, 18 April 2015 at 7:00 AM

@EventMobil
Sorry, I had no idea you'd even replied to me, I just spotted it through following a link here.

Thanks for the heads-up, looks like I'll have to break my vow and take a look at those shader systems after all.  I've been avoiding both Baggins' and Snarly's scripts intentionally to make it harder on myself, but I suppose using them might even help me grasp things better, so what the hell.

Not in the mood for it right now as my mind is on other things, but I'll definitely take a look sooner rather than later, cheers!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2016 at 3:57 PM

Any chance of getting these shaders now. All the links seem to be broken.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2016 at 11:28 AM · edited Sat, 23 April 2016 at 11:31 AM

There is a way to copy the shaders: Rightclick the "broken" image, select: open as new tab. goto new tab, rightclick again, and select saveas. You can saveit as a MT5 file, and name it into something meaningfull, I named it: Soapy.mt5

By the way: This is a great shader!

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2016 at 11:52 AM

bopperthijs posted at 9:51AM Sat, 23 April 2016 - #4266710

There is a way to copy the shaders: Rightclick the "broken" image, select: open as new tab. goto new tab, rightclick again, and select saveas. You can saveit as a MT5 file, and name it into something meaningfull, I named it: Soapy.mt5

By the way: This is a great shader!

Except when I do this, I get a "This Page Does Not Exist" with a confused monkey on the screen. Maybe it's Firefox. I'll try IE...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2016 at 2:22 PM

I don't think IE works either. Does ANYONE have a copy of this shader?

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2016 at 5:05 PM · edited Sat, 23 April 2016 at 5:19 PM

I use chrome and it worked for me. it still does by the way. So I now have this shader, but I even can't copy it here as a txt-file. Stupid TOS. Any idea where I can upload it without breaking any rules?

I have made a printscreen of it, would this help? Soapy Compound.JPG

This is the compound node. On the left you have the output: displacement, diffuse and specular, on the tight the input: displacement, diffuse, specular.

Hope this will help.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2016 at 5:18 PM

You can email it to me. I'll sitemail you my address.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2016 at 5:19 PM

Ok, no problem.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 23 April 2016 at 5:22 PM

Thanks again.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 24 April 2016 at 1:14 AM

I'd like it. I have a use for this beyond soap.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2016 at 5:29 AM · edited Tue, 08 August 2017 at 5:51 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

I'm working on a cycles based plugin for EZskin3, and I'm going to have this shader also as an option. Until now it is not as sophisticated as Eventmobil's shader (no settings for heigth of the foam so far) because I have to recalibrate all the procedural textures, but it is starting to look good. Here is a superfly render: Render81.jpg

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2016 at 5:33 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Sorry I forgot the nudity warning, It doesn't seems to possible to add that after you post it.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 30 April 2016 at 8:07 AM

Crikey, that's goooood. Any chance of a Firefly version for us poor Pro 2012 users?

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 30 April 2016 at 8:51 AM

Ezskin2 also has soap as a special effect and works in poser pro 2012 and 2014 AFAIK.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2016 at 9:32 AM

Bopper, Think you could write a step by step process for getting the soap on the figure.? I tried to do it with a figure like Dawn SE for which I'm making a shower

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2016 at 3:25 PM

Do you want it for Firefly or Superfly? I have a free day tomorrow, so I see what I can do.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2016 at 9:01 PM

bopperthijs posted at 9:31PM Thu, 05 May 2016 - #4268071

Do you want it for Firefly or Superfly? I have a free day tomorrow, so I see what I can do.

Firefly. I don't have PP11 yet. It'll come in handy for this shower I'm making for Dawn. Thank you.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2016 at 9:10 PM

I've made this soapy shader for a plugin for EZskin3 that i am making at the moment,this wil only work in poser11, but I can show you how to apply the soapy skin effect with EZskin2, if you want

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 05 May 2016 at 11:32 PM

bopperthijs posted at 12:32AM Fri, 06 May 2016 - #4268143

I've made this soapy shader for a plugin for EZskin3 that i am making at the moment,this wil only work in poser11, but I can show you how to apply the soapy skin effect with EZskin2, if you want

That'll be fine as well.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2016 at 6:33 PM

Ok, I promised to show how to make a soapy skin for Dawn, with EZskin2, well here you go :Dawn.jpg

First I load Dawn, give some clothes and hair and a nice pose.

EZskinfront.JPG

Then I fire up EZskin2, as you see Dawn is shown as not supported, but there is a definition for here that you only have to load: goto file, and select figure defintions and select this file which is in the EZskin2 directory!

Figure_defs.JPG

Select Dawn or select all.

Select Figures.JPG

I just keep the default skin settings but you can change that if you want.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2016 at 6:44 PM · edited Sat, 07 May 2016 at 6:45 PM

Next I go the Special FX Tab, there are no special effects loaded, so we first have to do that

Special Effects front.JPG

Click browse for the folder and navigate to the EZ-effects folder in the EZskin2 directory.

SE-folder.JPG

In the left column select the effect you want, and the right column , the skin parts that you want the effect to be applied to . I usually don't select the head, the face, the ears, don't forget the lips or she will look like a mad dog.

SE-settings.JPG

Finally press the 'Do it - convert all materials!' button and the EZskin with the effect will be applied and you are finished and ready to render:

Dawn -soapy.jpg

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2016 at 12:05 AM

Dunno what I'm doing wrong but after following the above steps I get no effect at all. Dawn renders just as it was loaded.

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 10 May 2016 at 12:14 AM

Restarted Poser and it worked just dandy. Weird. Anyhow, thanks for the quick tute, Bopper.

My Store

My Gallery

bobbypants ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2017 at 4:32 AM

EventMobil posted at 10:31AM Fri, 04 August 2017 - #4168390

And here is the shader as compound node, for PoserPro2014 (and up, hahaa...)

Would anyone happen to have this shader and make it available, it's another broken link victim : (

EClark1849 ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2017 at 9:20 AM · edited Fri, 04 August 2017 at 9:21 AM

bobbypants posted at 9:19AM Fri, 04 August 2017 - #4311373

Would anyone happen to have this shader and make it available, it's another broken link victim : (

For which version, Firefly or superfly? I think Bopper still has them. If I ever figure out how to get back into my email account I might still have them.

bobbypants ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2017 at 9:42 AM

EClark1849 posted at 3:42PM Fri, 04 August 2017 - #4311385

bobbypants posted at 9:19AM Fri, 04 August 2017 - #4311373

For which version, Firefly or superfly? I think Bopper still has them. If I ever figure out how to get back into my email account I might still have them.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for the shader EventMobil uploaded here...

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2878577&page_number=2#msg4168390

raven ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2017 at 1:29 PM

You can get it from the thread. I am using Firefox.

Step 01. Right click the broken image icon. Select 'View Image'

foam_01.jpg

Step 02. You should get the material file open as a text.

foam_02.jpg

Step 03. Select all, ctrl-c, open Notepad or equivalent and ctrl-v. Save the file as "Foam.mt5"

Step 04. Place the newly saved foam.mt5 into the materials library and then you can load it.

I did these steps myself to verify they worked. Hope that helps.

EClark1849 ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2017 at 10:28 PM

raven posted at 10:25PM Fri, 04 August 2017 - #4311399

I was going to point that out, but as it happens I did finally get into my email account today and the shaders were there. If you still want them, sitemail me your email address and I'll send it to you, Bobbypants.

bobbypants ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2017 at 12:45 PM

EClark1849 posted at 6:44PM Sat, 05 August 2017 - #4311415

raven posted at 10:25PM Fri, 04 August 2017 - #4311399

I was going to point that out, but as it happens I did finally get into my email account today and the shaders were there. If you still want them, sitemail me your email address and I'll send it to you, Bobbypants.

Thanks guys, I got it using ravens' tip! Didn't know you could do that. Thanks to both of you for your assistance.

JAFO ( ) posted Wed, 27 September 2017 at 5:54 PM · edited Wed, 27 September 2017 at 6:04 PM

EventMobil posted at 6:42PM Wed, 27 September 2017 - #4166599

Any suggestions on the foam?

Probably some more SSS in it?

The good thing with this shader is, if you bend the figure forward and down, and for example one arm enters the water surface, the shader will automatically remove the foam from all parts which are under water, remove the specularity from the skin the same way, so the artist does not need to care about such details.

The reason I bump this subject back to the top is that I have a question:

"the shader will automatically remove the foam from all parts which are under water" .I'm assuming that water is geometry and not some arbitrary height?

Could this not be used with displacement also? Like maybe having displacement over an entire figure or part and have it canceled out, tapered off or reversed in areas such as when a bra-strap, waste band or other geometry makes contact, simulated fat bulges maybe?.... Just wondering....

Y'all have a great day.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.