Sun, Oct 6, 1:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Cast colors... not shadows, possible in Poser?

jamminwolf ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2014 at 11:42 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 8:48 AM

Ok guys, I'm working on a particular project, half the time pulling my hair, half the time succeeding what I'm after...

Some of you may know what I'm working on from my recent thread... but I'm hoping I get this done before any other vendors catch on and steal my idea.

After many hours and days of trials & errors, I finally got what I need, and the next thing I want to do is work on a surface whereas it would cast colors onto other stuff, instead of shadows.  I've seen it before I learned Poser, but how is that possible?

Working from Poser 9, SR3.2

...wolfie

bopperthijs ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2014 at 3:19 PM

If you mean light that shines through a colored piece of glass,(I think the official term is caustics) I'm afraid the answer is no, even not in poserpro 2014. 

I've done some tests in the past with a color slide and making three render passes for every primair color and combining that in Paintshop-pro, and that gave some acceptable results but it's a lot of work compaired with a simple one-pass render.

best regards,

Bopper

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

ironsoul ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2014 at 3:13 AM

file_507100.jpg

If we talking about replacing shadow with a colour rather than colour from transmitted light I've only seen this done at the material level (Blender tutorial on the Cycles render engine) - the light intensity from one render pass was applied to a blender node on a second pass. For this to work you would need to change every material  on every object that will receive the shadow so this is not a practical solution for anything other than simple scenes.I've attached a screen shot of how it can be sort of done in Poser but as you can see from the Blender settings its not a strong effect.

jamminwolf ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2014 at 10:36 AM

file_507109.jpg

Well it's not what I'm looking for, I'm sure customers of this product wouldn't like to have to change colors of everything for this product to work... but I did what you told me and I don't see how that's working, here's my render.

modus0 ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2014 at 12:32 PM

You didn't set the Diffuse to 0 though, that's why it isn't working.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

jamminwolf ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2014 at 1:40 PM · edited Sun, 07 September 2014 at 1:43 PM

file_507112.jpg

> Quote - You didn't set the Diffuse to 0 though, that's why it isn't working.

Actually, that's not true.  After doing some fooling around, scratching my head, I turned IBL light off and it worked.  With IBL on, the whole plane is pink, and there's no shadow at all with diffuse at 0.00, but with the diffuse set at 1.00, the whole thing's pink still, and there's shadows, same color.

Strange...

jamminwolf ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2014 at 1:46 PM

file_507113.jpg

Works the same way with the ball changed to the same color... quite interesting.

jamminwolf ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2014 at 1:51 PM

file_507114.jpg

And now with "Blending" set at 1.000

jamminwolf ( ) posted Sun, 07 September 2014 at 2:02 PM

file_507115.jpg

It gets more interesting with both blending colors plugged into the diffuse node.  1st image with same light, 2nd with another one in front.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 12:08 PM

how about this:

anybody interested in buying some used iWatches?

jamminwolf ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 10:12 PM

Ok, you got me curious how you got the black shadow, and the yellow shadow on the ground :)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 11:50 PM · edited Mon, 08 September 2014 at 11:51 PM

here's one w/neg. shadow, IDL, GC, atmo.  you get black or light shadows depending on shadow strength parameter, e.g. 1 or -10.  YMMV

quod erat demonstrandum

yet another little-known poser feature.

Q.E.D.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.