Tue, Oct 22, 8:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 7:36 am)

Subject: If the shoe fits

sheedee3d ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 9:00 AM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 6:48 AM

file_507133.jpg

I have had many frustrations in my years of using Daz Studio and Poser...which include lighting...posing...just to name a few.  But the one frustration that i find by far the worse...that is for me...is shoe fitting! and posing.

Of course almost all shoe sets come with a ton of morphs and dials and feet poses to help adjust the shoes to the character...and in most cases all these morphs dials and feet poses do the trick...but in other cases its the complete opposite!...

i cant begin to tell you the extended periods of time that i have spend adjusting and working with the morph dials to try and make the shoe fit and look proper!...not to mention the headache and frustration that goes along with it!...i have come to realize that just applying the provided feet pose is by no means all that needs to be done.

Yes...the characters feet adopt the position for the given shoe when the feet pose is applied...but that is not the end of the story!...there is a ton of more adjustments to be made...and i mean a ton!...there are so many different dials...that i would not even know where to start!...as you can clearly see in these images all these were with the feet pose applied that was provivded...but the imperfections that still remain are numerous!...and as much as i fiddle and fiddle with the dials and morphs...i just cant get it right!...

I have also noticed that this happens specially with open shoes where the toes and most part of the feet are visible.  With shoes that are closed there is different tricks that can be done...one of them being hiding the toes...but i am sure that most of you knew that already.

Needless to say this shoe fitting ordeal is driving me out of my mind!...and of course it is possible to get the right and perfect final render...because that can be seen in all the promos!...but of course those are done by professionals who know more then one trick to make it all look right!...if only i was let in on those secret tools of the trade!...

If any one here knows of any other way or trick...or maybe even a comprehensive tutorial on fitting shoes properly and making everything look right...i would really appreciate it!...

I spend hours adjusting and working with dials and morphs to try to make the my characters look good in the shoes...and all that is time that i could actually spend creating my art!...but i can not continue until everything looks right...and that includes the shoes!...

Thx for viewing.

Cheers

sheedee3d ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 9:02 AM

file_507134.jpg

Sample render

sheedee3d ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 9:03 AM

file_507135.jpg

Sample

sheedee3d ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 9:03 AM

file_507136.jpg

Render

hornet3d ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 9:18 AM

Open- toed I just adjust the bend in the toe but with an enclosed shoe I take the easy way out and hide the toes.

My procedure is to pose the figure and then apply the foot pose.  I spend a little time playing the dails for the feet and toes and sometimes the shoes.  If it is just the odd strap I tend to use the morph brush.  If i have to spend more than  10 - 15 minutes I give up and use a different pair of shoes but that is a rare occurance. 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 1:53 PM

A problem is that many high-heeled shoes are made with the foot in a non-zeroed position.

However, looking at your renders, If these are conforming shoes I'd make sure that Copy Scales and Copy Morphs are checked in the body actor of the shoe.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 2:31 PM

No advice on the shoe problem but I'd love to know how you're rendering skin that is intersecting the shoe without getting that blue tint along the edge where it intersects.  If I so much as have an arm intersect along the side of an abdomen, I get a horrible tinted line where it intersects.

Happens whenever I use SSS.

hornet3d ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 5:12 PM

Quote -
No advice on the shoe problem but I'd love to know how you're rendering skin that is intersecting the shoe without getting that blue tint along the edge where it intersects.  If I so much as have an arm intersect along the side of an abdomen, I get a horrible tinted line where it intersects.

Happens whenever I use SSS.

That usually happens when you have the two items that are close and are in the same scatter group,  in your example the arms would need to be in a different scatter group than the torso.  Not sure where this would have a relavence to the shoes though.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 5:52 PM

Cheers Hornet, I'll have to search the Help file, never even heard of scatter groups!

hornet3d ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 6:11 PM

If you are using SSS somewhere in your material set up you will hane a scatter none.  The node allows you to set up the type of material such as skin 1, skin 2, marble, potato, skimmed milk, whole milk and there are a couple of chickens in there and a few others.  After this there is the option  to use the material colour, and then control of texture detail, scale and max error.  Below that is a colour box and and finally Scatter_Group. 

I normally set this for different groups where there are adjacent materials.  Such as lip and face if not there will often be a small bluish outline around the lips.  I have made this consistant on all my figures so that SkinFace will always be group 3 while the lips will be group 4.  They do not have to be those precise groups just different but I like to be consistant across characters.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 6:36 PM
Online Now!

And if you are using EZSkin or EZMat, check the box next to Use BB Max Scatter Trick.  This will automatically assign different numbers for the the scatter groups.

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 08 September 2014 at 6:52 PM

Thankyou both, I'm glad there's ways to stop it - it's been driving me mad!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.