Thu, Sep 19, 4:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:21 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: what would this be called?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2015 at 6:51 AM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 6:41 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

I know this is probably a crazy question to ask here but I'm going crazy not being able to think of it.

In my story a character has a cloak the is spelled so that if anyone looks at her they don't see her. She's not invisible. People just overlook her. (Like your keys. I swear I looked there 5 times) I know I've seen this before but I can't remember  what it's called. Does anyone know? Or have suggestions for a name?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

dphoadley ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2015 at 7:02 AM

It's an Inconspicuous Cloak!

Adjective: Not prominent or readily noticeable

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 11 February 2015 at 10:18 AM
Forum Moderator

Sounds a little like something Douglas Adams wrote about in one of his Hitchiker books. He called it a 'Someone Else's Problem Field' and it basicly made people ignore something, someone, or an event that was happening right before their eyes.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2015 at 4:04 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Thanks for the suggestions. Neither is quite what I had in mind. Perhaps it'll come to me.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

auntietk ( ) posted Mon, 23 February 2015 at 10:42 AM

stealth

Camouflage

Denial

Absence

Look over there

Nobody here but us chickens

absentmindedness

overlooked

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 23 February 2015 at 4:29 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

LOL Nobody here but us chickens.

Stealth might work. Thanks for the suggestions.

auntietk ( ) posted Mon, 23 February 2015 at 6:53 PM

yw  :)

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

Cybermonk ( ) posted Tue, 24 February 2015 at 5:41 PM

A  glamor perhaps . As in a fairy glamor. :)

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

auntietk ( ) posted Tue, 24 February 2015 at 9:45 PM

I like that!

Chipka ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2015 at 2:31 AM

I love stuff like this: there's actually a technical word for that (and it's probably the least-interesting one around) but the word you're looking for, literally, is "cloaked."  It's a bit like the Klingon/Romulan cloaking devices in the Star Trek universe, which, to borrow on other elements of this thread make use of a "nobody-here-but-us-chickens field"...basically you don't become invisible so much as you're easy to overlook...

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2015 at 1:23 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I was hoping to avoid used cloaked since it's a spell on her cloak. 

"She activated the cloaking spell on her cloak" just doesn't sound right.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Wed, 18 March 2015 at 4:08 AM
Site Admin

I'm way late getting here, but thought I'd throw my two pennies in the well for fun.

She whispered two words in the ancient tongue of her people, and her cloak shimmered with the light of the softest moon while she faded from the awareness of those around her.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

Chipka ( ) posted Sat, 04 April 2015 at 3:09 AM

Did I mention the "ugly shirt" thing?  In William Gibson's novel, Spook Country, he describes a piece of clothing in a particular color (Klein Blue) which is virtually impossible to record on video--something about digital recording technology triggered to not record a particular group of pixels or something like that: basically the clothing, sometimes called an "ugly shirt" is something of a covert operations cloaking device (people see you when you're wearing it, but security cameras don't).  that's not what you were asking for or about, but still, it's an interesting tidbit.  (Of course, Gibson's "ugly shirt" is an extrapolation, based on the phenomenon of smart clothing, and apparently a reasonably good (as in not-awful) cloaking jacket has been developed and tested.  It doesn't exactly work, but it doesn't fail miserably either.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Sat, 04 April 2015 at 4:47 AM · edited Sat, 04 April 2015 at 4:56 AM
Site Admin

You might be talking about the digital camouflage ACU's (army combat uniform). (I believe the Marines call theirs Marpats). We've been wearing them for awhile now, if I recall, I think somewhere around 2003 is when they were first deployed. I was still wearing the old woodland pattern when I retired in mid-2003. The idea is to break up the large block visual pattern into a small block visual pattern. Especially necessary when viewed through the night vision goggles. They come in desert and woodland pattern, and they do work... if you care for the uniform correctly. Many soldiers use starch on their uniforms and that has always been a problem. The digital ACU's are not the end all to proper camouflage, they are an augment to camouflage, you still have to employ all other necessary camouflage and concealment techniques. Many colors have been experimented with, which may be where you are getting the blue color from. Oh, and I don't know of any clothing that is invisible to security cameras, only difficult to see through the night vision goggles. That part sounds a bit like scifi... but you never know what's hiding in development.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

Chipka ( ) posted Mon, 06 April 2015 at 2:19 AM

Yeah, it's an extrapolation on that.  the "Ugly Shirt" isn't actually invisible at all and it doesn't impart invisibility; it's simply designed in such a way as to interact with recording equipment.  A lot of modern digital recording equipment has built-in edit functions that are triggered when particular patterns are picked up, and so particular things are essentially erased from digital memory.  It's my limited understanding that ugly shirts simply trigger an edit/splice function in digital recording equipment. As for the apparently Chinese/Taiwanese?  garment, it actually employs some kind of light-bending technology that essentially mimics its surroundings to the point at which whatever you're standing in front of appears on the front of your garment in a very hazy, indistinct, not very camouflaged way at all; the photos that were released of some guy wearing what looked like a baggy hoodie showed him standing on a city street, looking rather awkward and dorky, with the street behind him all hazy and blurry and not exactly proportional, on the front of his jacket an the jacket material itself made it look as if he was wearing something with the qualities of not-entirely-practical drapes and folds of Saran wrap.  It's like really baggy, kinda cheap and cheesy chameleon-wear that hasn't quite gotten the hang of the whole chameleon thing yet.  It's still in the earliest stages of the research phase, nowhere near practical development.  As for the "ugly shirt" I think I like it simply for the name. 

malwat ( ) posted Mon, 13 April 2015 at 3:44 AM

You might like either to mask the cloak or describe it as a ninja cloak, since ninjas allegedly can hide in full view.

I quite like the idea of a cloak of dissembling, too, for which I hereby claim the original idea!.....

But others can use it.

Malwat

Getting younger by the day; getting older by the minute....

lucaslynn4742 ( ) posted Tue, 19 May 2015 at 3:51 AM

Maby You have o your mind some digital camouflage ACU's (which is army combat uniform.,.. hm?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 19 May 2015 at 6:05 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

This is fantasy nit sci fi so no digital high tech stuff. I've mostly done what wolfenshire suggested and just described it happening. The few times I did need to name the spell, I called it an obscurity spell. But thanks for the suggestion. I am working on a couple of sci fi stories so I may use some of these ideas there, if needed. Of course, there I may just call it cloaking. We'll see.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.