Wed, Oct 2, 9:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Compatibility with Poser 4

moushie ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2015 at 6:17 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 9:41 PM

With the proliferation of Poser and Daz models and names could someone kindly advise me which are compatible with Poser 4? (I make no apologies for sticking with this simplest of versions.)Thanks.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2015 at 6:51 PM

You will completely out of luck.  Just about all the new current models will not work in P4.  Forget about Dawn, Dusk, Genesis/Genesis 2 and their associated models, Miki 4, Roxie and Rex,  

Compatible models:  Michael 1, 2, 3, possibly Michael 4, likewise for the Victoria series up to 4.

JVRenderer ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2015 at 7:03 PM

ya forgot Posette and Dork

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2015 at 7:15 PM · edited Tue, 28 April 2015 at 7:17 PM

You might want to contact dphoadley .. because he has a great fondness for Posette (the P4 female) he could help you more than anyone else I can think of.  He has done wonderful things with her.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

moushie ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2015 at 7:17 PM

Thanks all. Too bad.

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2015 at 7:52 PM · edited Tue, 28 April 2015 at 7:59 PM

Poser 10 is only $70 from SM, and Purplus has boxed Poser 9 for $40.

Edit; you can get a boxed copy of Poser Debut at Amazon for $12.89. 

Poser 4 is 16 years old, released in the days of Windows 98 and Mac OS 8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

dphoadley ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 3:21 AM

You might want to contact dphoadley .. because he has a great fondness for Posette (the P4 female) he could help you more than anyone else I can think of.  He has done wonderful things with her.

I always said, 'Don't fix what ain't broken!'  However, a remap NEVER hurt anyone!!

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 8:34 AM

David, I hope you don't mind, since it seems that mouchie may not check back here I sent him/her a site mail referring them to you.

Boni

dphoadley ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 8:54 AM · edited Wed, 29 April 2015 at 8:56 AM

David, I hope you don't mind, since it seems that mouchie may not check back here I sent him/her a site mail referring them to you.

Why should I mind, my V3 Posette remap was for everybody!  The truth is, even V3 herself may have benefited from that project.

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

moushie ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 10:11 AM

I did check back, and thanks.Simple question: What figures if any are compatible with Vickie 2/Poser 4?

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 10:33 AM

Michael 2.  

Your biggest problem will be finding suitable character morphs and content for those models.  They are as rare as hen's teeth.

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 11:09 AM

DAZ does have some legacy packs for Vicki 2 I believe if you search for them.  I haven't been there for a while, but they did last time I checked.  For M2 as well.  Also do a Google search, some older sites still have items for older models. 

Boni

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 11:15 AM

Probably the store that contains the largest amount of older stuff may be Poseraddicts, especially if you are looking for male items as they've been wiped from other stores.

moushie ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 11:26 AM

Thanks. Appreciate it.

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 5:51 PM · edited Wed, 29 April 2015 at 5:51 PM

Another option is to load the CR2 (Figure) or prop (PP2) into Notepad.
Look for the lines that say...

version
    {
    number 8

...simply change the number to read 4.0. It will usually now load in P4 or P4 Pro Pack without any error messages.

Note I say usually because it doesn't work all the time. As HBorre comments new stuff like Dawn won't. Also if the model uses shaders/materials and not textures, you won't see those displayed on the model.

But good news is V3 and even V4 to some extent can be used OK. Plus generally anything with standard textures works fine and it's incredibly easy to fix many texture problems In P4/PP.  

As for using it why not? Dashed handy if you ever create stuff and want to ensure your model will work in most software. Make it P4 compatiable and it will, no hassles with loading it in studio, vue, max etc. 

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

moushie ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 6:47 PM

Thanks again!

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 6:48 PM · edited Wed, 29 April 2015 at 6:50 PM

If you don't know about this site, you should... :)

http://www.posetteforever.com/

Also, I think English Bob has some V2 items...

http://www.morphography.uk.vu/downloads.html

Yamato's TenTen and some other stuff is here...

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/masasi/DOWNLOAD/yamato/index.htm

Edited to make the links live

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2015 at 7:15 PM · edited Wed, 29 April 2015 at 7:16 PM

also don't forget poserworld

edited to add: all my freebies work in p4 as well :)

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 30 April 2015 at 9:56 AM

I would suggest that you look at a later version of Poser or Daz studio.   Studio is free and it opens so much more of the freestuff and will load anything Poser 4 compatible.

moushie ( ) posted Thu, 30 April 2015 at 1:10 PM

I'm grateful for the help, but may have been less than clear.Let me clarify. I would really like to know what characters can be manipulated within the Poser 4 program, e.g.Genesis, Vic 4, Vic 5, The Girl, Hiro (and male equivalents).

moushie ( ) posted Thu, 30 April 2015 at 1:15 PM

I'm grateful fr the help, but may have been less than clear. I would really like to know what characters can be manipulated within the Poser 4 program, e.g. Genesis, Vic 4, Vic 5, The Girl, Hiro (and male equivalents).

I had a later version of Poser and it's not for me. Poser 4 is intuitive and simpler by far.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 30 April 2015 at 2:52 PM

As mentioned in a previous post, the DAZ Generation 3 and, to some extent, Generation 4 would work.  That includes Vickie, Michael, Hiro, The Girl, Stephanie Petite, The Freak, etc.  Generation 5 and above (Genesis/Genesis 2) will not work because they are weight-mapped models and are lower meshed.  With the most current Poser versions, the sub-division feature can increase the mesh density thus smoothing out the roughness without sacrificing file size and application speed.  

moushie ( ) posted Thu, 30 April 2015 at 4:25 PM

Well, I think that's the definitive answer, and thanks again. Issue resolved.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Thu, 30 April 2015 at 4:42 PM

Victoria 4 does not really work in P4.  I tried to beta test some products for her in P4 way back in the early days of the figure's release.  All the magnets caused issues.  I also found problems with the ExP morphs.  Genesis, Generation 5 figures or higher from DAZ will not work in anything lower than P9.  They are weight mapped and require the DSON importer which is a Python script to get them into Poser.  Straight Poser4 does not have Python scripting.  Python scripting was not introduced in Poser ProPack along with the set room.

Poser 8 figures and Miki3 will not work in Poser 4 because the have the spherical joint fall off rigging introduced in P8. 

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 01 May 2015 at 12:00 PM

As you discuss this remember that Poser 4 had some very strange things with it. Thumbnails were in a non-standard format as were bump maps. There are probably a whole host of similar gotcha's. 

adh3d ( ) posted Fri, 01 May 2015 at 12:05 PM

I don't test it, but I think adman could work in Poser 4

You can try Apollo Maximus too.

adh3d website

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 01 May 2015 at 12:57 PM

"As you discuss this remember that Poser 4 had some very strange things with it. Thumbnails were in a non-standard format as were bump maps. There are probably a whole host of similar gotcha's." 

The old standard icon were in RSR format which still exit in many early content.  IIRC, only Poser 7 was able to read that and the newer PNG format.  And yes, bump maps had to be in .bum format and plugged into an entirely different node connection.

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 01 May 2015 at 1:11 PM

"As you discuss this remember that Poser 4 had some very strange things with it. Thumbnails were in a non-standard format as were bump maps. There are probably a whole host of similar gotcha's." 

The old standard icon were in RSR format which still exit in many early content.  IIRC, only Poser 7 was able to read that and the newer PNG format.  And yes, bump maps had to be in .bum format and plugged into an entirely different node connection.

I believe Poser 7 was the last version that could read it. Poser Pro (Poser 4.5) was the first Poser that used PNG for thumbnails, but Poser Pro through Poser 7 could read them. Those are just two things that I recall, off the top of my head that keeps people from just using content that was not designed for Poser 4.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.