Thu, Oct 3, 6:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 03 6:16 pm)

Subject: Why aren't male figures more popular?

ssgbryan ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2015 at 10:57 PM · edited Sun, 04 January 2015 at 10:58 PM

Jessi has head & body morphs over at RDNA.  As far as her head, I don't keep her bald.  As far as the rest of her, between Subdivision 1 & Lyrra's body fixes for here (available here in the free section), I have gotten a lot of use out of her.  See attached (wearing V4 Courageous outfit).  

For my storyboards, I have been recasting many of my DAZ figures to SM figures.   The DAZ figures will be my "red shirts" and minor characters.

file_1385974ed5904a438616ff7bdb3f7439.pn

ssgbryan ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2015 at 11:05 PM

As far as the latest male figure, Dusk, I am still playing around with him.  I had an outfit made for him by the fine folks over at PoserWorld.  I'll be making pose sets for him later this week, along with packaging up the ones I made for Dawn & forgot about.

file_84d9ee44e457ddef7f2c4f25dc8fa865.pn

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 05 January 2015 at 8:02 PM · edited Mon, 05 January 2015 at 8:03 PM

"The problem i always have with 'more morphs' is that I do get lost in them or just lose endless time in finding the combination that gives the effect I need. One of the achievements in Poser is the morph brush. I invested in an A5 sized Wacom and learned to appreciate this feature of Poser. 'More morphs' was the solution for Poser 4 or 5. Development moved on since then.

I'm not sure I follow.  One of the most common reasons given for the lack of support/use of the Poser native figures is their lack of morphs for character diversity. 

Many don't like using the face room, much less the morph brush, and would rather be able to either dial in their characters from a set of morphs like the DAZ figures have, or load pre-existing characters based on a set of morphs, again like the DAZ figures have. 

Personally, I would like to see an advanced native Poser figure that can morph from James to Simon to Rex, to Ben etc. It's entirely possible, just hasn't been done yet.  "

It is VERY possible. I did some research on this back when I was sculpting Rex and Darrell was building him. We just never had the time to implement something that worked to the level we wanted. Who knows what the future will hold though? Just all boils down to time allowed. One thing I'm onboard for though is more support for the male figures in general. I've been making some clothes for Rex. Just need to find the time to finish it up.

moriador ( ) posted Mon, 05 January 2015 at 9:12 PM · edited Mon, 05 January 2015 at 9:14 PM

@ssgbryan -- I've got the morphs from RDNA. The sale price was simply too good to pass up. :) You make a good point. With hair, the skull isn't really an issue. It's usually the last thing I add to a character, after clothes, texture, morphs. But there's no reason I couldn't alter my normal way of doing things with Jessi and put the hair on first. :)

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2015 at 12:49 AM

doesn't seem likely there will be a david6

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2015 at 1:43 AM

Genesis makes him redundant. Use the scales and there you go.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2015 at 9:30 AM · edited Mon, 03 August 2015 at 9:43 AM

If that's the case, then the same is true for stephanie 6 and most of the other females based on G2 as well, yet there they are. Victoria 6                     
Olympia 6                    
Stephanie 6                 
Lilith 6                          
Belle 6                         
Giselle 6
Mei Lin 6
Callie 6
Aiko 6
Keiko 6
Girl 6

Talk about redundant. Male characters have always been neglected.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2015 at 1:05 PM

If that's the case, then the same is true for stephanie 6 and most of the other females based on G2 as well, yet there they are. Victoria 6                     
Olympia 6                    
Stephanie 6                 
Lilith 6                          
Belle 6                         
Giselle 6
Mei Lin 6
Callie 6
Aiko 6
Keiko 6
Girl 6

Talk about redundant. Male characters have always been neglected.

Unfortunately the majority of people will happily pay for those female characters, however they won't for the boys. However, for most people David was just a shorter Michael and that can be taken care of via dials or vendor products. In fact, similar characters were already released to fill those genres and most people skipped over them, wanting something from DAZ... and for a steep discount.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2015 at 3:48 PM · edited Mon, 03 August 2015 at 3:48 PM

i luv David5.  and i try to be conscientious of the empty pants syndrome

didn't grudge a penny i spent  sy's masculinizer

been meaning to render brodie6 faeries, but iz just too dang hot to sit at my puter for hours

blamin' retrograde mercury for the gender imbalance in faerie art. dunno Mars is the best planet for dudes, Mercury feels righter. i've never felt affinity for planet Venus. Feel more akin to Saturn with her pretty rings and all.

!

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2015 at 5:28 PM

what detracts from many of the male character sets is the big wingie eyebrows.  and sometimes it looks like they using the same merchant resource.

It was a dark and stormy night. A geisho-clone series six entered the tavern; tall, muscular, and dreamy.  His big wingie eyebrows drawn tight in a frown, not seeing the droids he was looking for among the drunken benders.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2015 at 12:09 AM · edited Wed, 05 August 2015 at 12:15 AM

Quote - Commercially, clothes and accessories are more geared towards women.  Whether or not there are male markets spawning from that doesn't really affect that from the ground view, accessories and clothing for women is dominant.  It might be closer sized in high fashion and so on, but if you take the example of a mall and department stores -- very female dominant.

You're not considering online sales, which exceeds brick-n-mortar sales by a good margin. And retailers are always slow to pick up on the latest trends.

I don't keep up with it much, but the men's cosmetics industry alone is over $33billion, with about 10% of that just in the US. It's nearly doubled in the last 5 to 10 years. Everything from deoderant and body wash, to make-up and nail polish designed (and named) specicially for men. And men's fashion is growing at about the same rate. Just read an article about general male beauty products that says on average 73% of men in the US use some sort of skin care daily (not including soap and shower), opposed to 72% of women. Of course who knows how much skew is put on that to make it seem more important. Surveys always have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Unfortunately, it's trending away from the classic "Marlboro men" and more towards the "boy georges". :shiver:

No clue who the biggest male fashion models are these days. David Bowie is by far the last on the list whenever I think masculinity. Actually he doesn't even make the list. :more shivers: lol.

~Shane

Long live Tom Selleck circa 1982...furry chest, mustache....yes, oh my, yes. LOL My hubby is a furball. Laying my head on his chest is like nestling in a nice, fuzzy sweater. Makes me fall asleep immediately. Better than a sleeping pill ;). There are still some of us gals left that do NOT like the androgenous  and hairless look ;). Thank goodness there's still some men that don't either. LOL.

As for why aren't male figures used more? I guess maybe Poser users especially treat the female form more like a blank canvas and the male form less so. And artbee nailed it I think as just "art imitating life". I'll always have more clothes and shoes than my hubby does ;).

Laurie

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2015 at 3:27 PM

"If that's the case, then the same is true for stephanie 6 and most of the other females based on G2 as well, yet there they are.

Victoria 6                      

Olympia 6                     

Stephanie 6                  

Lilith 6                           

Belle 6                          

Giselle 6

Mei Lin 6

Callie 6

Aiko 6

Keiko 6

Girl 6"

I honestly do NOT understand why people still purchase these "character packs" either

I always get every head& body morphs available

and "dial in" my own Characters as needed.

My website

YouTube Channel

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2015 at 10:58 AM

You have to admit, though, David Bowie is one stylish sharp-looking dude - and that comment is coming from another male!
I mean how old is he now? ... blimey ... still looks sharp as a razor-blade.

If I'd won a prize where I get clothes made by any tailor no matter how exclusive, I think I'd choose Bowie's tailor if I wanted something sharp and smart.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2015 at 4:14 PM

his gray pants in labyrinth :)

ground control to major tom.  :)

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2015 at 9:02 PM

lol - I move the stars for no one, Misty!
BTW, I just realised I responded to a post by Shane from bloody ages ago, I thought it was a new post :-D

Good job Roxie never saw me do that, otherwise she would have called me a dumbass!

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2015 at 9:04 PM

file_eb160de1de89d9058fcb0b968dbbbd68.jp

Dumbass!!!

Later,
Roxie - Girl With Blade

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2015 at 9:06 PM

Cheers, Roxie!

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2015 at 9:46 PM

Yeah, I was a little miffed by the Bowie bashing myself considering some of the great records he made (especially the low/heroes/scary monsters stuff). As far as his appearance, I've always thought he managed to pull off most of his looks. Not to mention the heterochromia thing, which if you've ever been around a person (especially of the opposite gender) who has the trait, I can tell you it's quite striking. Shock rockers resort to contact lenses. Bowie was born that way.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2015 at 9:57 PM · edited Thu, 06 August 2015 at 10:11 PM

david-bowie.jpg?w=1200

Yup, I know what you mean, Primorge, and how cool would it be to have odd-coloured eyes like that!
I like a lot of Bowie stuff but it's usually stuff the Bowie fans never seem to speak of as much ... weird.

I think this one is fantastic ... funny how secrets travel ... cruise me babe ... I'm deranged:

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2015 at 10:11 PM

Just swapped the video above, found a better version with lyrics, caught the edit deadline as well!

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2015 at 10:24 PM

Lost Highway was good (I have that soundtrack, Trent Reznor aficionado), nowhere as great as Mulholland Drive though. Lynch's masterpiece.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2015 at 12:39 PM · edited Fri, 07 August 2015 at 12:39 PM

Haven't seen Mulholland Drive yet, and I got pretty annoyed when I realised he'd made a new film and I didn't see it on the cinema :-(

Nice to hear you call it his masterpiece, I look forward to getting the Blu-ray some day.  I'm a big fan of Lynch's films, he's what I call a 'proper' director, and as it stands right now, for me personally, Eraserhead is his masterpiece.  I've never seen another film like Eraserhead.

I look forward to seeing Mulholland Drive even more after your comment!

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2015 at 1:55 PM · edited Fri, 07 August 2015 at 2:38 PM

Speaking of male figures.  I'm on a campaign to revitalize interest in Apollo.  If there is enough interest perhaps Anton will be inspired to continue development. Here is a thread started on him ... take a look.  If you don't have him, he's a free figure and available through a link in the thread. 

Apollo thread

file_045117b0e0a11a242b9765e79cbf113f.pn

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.