Thu, Sep 19, 4:01 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:54 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: I'm liking the new layout!

takezo3001 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 12:52 PM · edited Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:03 PM

@4220362
Fair enough...
However, I think the design is a wretched eyesore, it offends my creative nature to see such a featureless design, as it inspires me to draw/paint/sculpt/model and render the blandness out of existence, unfortunately the metro-style is designed in opposition to creativity, which makes it as inappropriate for an artist site as rhinoceros mating footage is to a fine dining site...But it's here to stay until that stinking metro trend has run it's course and returns to a properly designed website for artists, so until then, I'm forced to adapt, as there still remains a monolithic amount of outstanding content on this site, even though navigating it is like knitting with boxing gloves while sitting two inches from a TV with a broken horizontal shift...

BTW, I clicked on your store's link and was assaulted by the main page, I hope they fix the linking system.

takezo3001 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:03 PM

IceEmpress ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:24 PM · edited Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:28 PM

How the hell can you like the redesign?! Nothing even shows up in the MP, vendor pages, or freestuff aside from the menu bars!

Edit: Nevermind, adblock was blocking the images. Thanks a lot, Rendo staff, I'd better be able to block all the extra banners, "tweet/facebook/fdavorite this", and all the other crap I don't like cluttering the page and slowing my browser!

Also, the images are HUGE and the menu bar is small! Can we please go back to 3-4 products per row?!?!?!? Notr everyone uses a mobile phone!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, no download button or anything on the Freebie pages.

ladylake ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:47 PM

The whole darn site is awful. Get rid of the ads (excluding the vendors/etc). Gosh, I hate what some folks must think is progress.

cosmo71 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:54 PM

@4220257

And that is the thing. Who the hell do renders on a smartphone???

cosmo71 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 1:54 PM

Lenord ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 2:18 PM

The truth is I can get used to pretty much anything given time...all the layout changes I'll get used to and just change my viewing habits (like to have gallery stats be correct) but there is one thing I will not get past and that's the Upload limit of 1200x1500, haven't made an image that small in years and won't do so now, I'd rather have the 512K limit at least I could post 1920x1080 wallpaper size and reach the 512k with compression, 1200x 675 is a postage stamp

Remember...No matter where you go there you are

cosmo71 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 4:42 PM

@4220474

you are right. I do not criticize the store design (think it is not bad) and I really like the new style of the forum but I do not like the upload restrictions for images and also the thumbnail issue is a thing I do not like. The old gallery overview was way better than this new one but it seems they have changed a little thing. we now have page numbers :) but the thumbnails they have also to fix and they have to undo the upload restrictions.

cosmo71 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 4:42 PM

dml2000 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 6:56 PM

Not in favor of the new layout, It's confusing and I cannot believe I'm seeing adverts for items not related to CGI art.
An Ad for a Law Firm at the bottom of a page, Really??? you guys that hard up for cash flow?
In all the changes it would really have been nice to see a filter that allows Poser Users to block out DAZ Studio Products That have overtaken the market place like the plague..

I wasted time looking at Hair textures to find out it was for Hongyu's V7 Hair prop. No mention of G3 product on the thumb.
You really need to address this or as someone said above, the Vendors will suffer.

Regards DML2000

Kazam561 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2015 at 10:27 PM

I'm still seeing unsecure elements that aren't using https which kind of defeats the idea of using the https.

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

ptousig ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 3:45 AM

I've stopped seeing those "partial unsecure" flags from Firefox for the site as of this morning. The forums here and the marketplace both seem fine in that regard now.

(I might have just come in after it was sorted out, or perhaps not hitting the broken parts of the site, but I never did get straight-up insecure site warnings like those some folks are reporting.)

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 6:44 AM
Site Admin

I don't have a voice anymore, writer's gallery is only 1000 characters now... but if I did have a voice, I would say this is the most ridiculous user interface anyone could have come up with. It looks like someone took a phone app and converted it for a tablet, and then put it on a computer.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

cosmo71 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 8:03 AM

I think we can criticize as much as we want. I guess Rendo gives a shit on what we are writing in these threads. Or does anyone have read a comment if they plan to undo the image size restrictions for example?

hopeandlove ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 11:44 AM

I've brought up this writer's forum issue.

At this time, I ask you to please remain patient.

Hope Kumor

Editor-in-chief of Renderosity Magazine

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 12:22 PM

how long do you expect the users to remain patient ? are you as a team taking in the sheer amount of complaints, both here and now on facebook? the fact the users hate this new design?

or will it be as usual, we're stuck with this mess?

I don't expect answers. there's been so little comeback, it's insulting.

rachel12 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 12:34 PM

Since you now have a million images loading on the front page, I'm finding it takes longer to load. I mean is it really necessary to try and thumbnail everything on the first page? You made the search function longer, along with an extra step. 99% of the time, I'm searching for products, you now having it searching all your departments. Then when it comes up, I have to call up another menu for what I was searching for. Every other web site tries to be helpful and searches on the department your in...you have to be different, and this is not a good different.

Overall, I'm not impressed with the new site. You went for window dressing over making it better for the customer.

dochtersions ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 1:10 PM

I'm so sorry about this new layout, I certainly am not charmed by, and I'm totally confused as if I have to solve a whole big puzzle, while several pieces have lost/are gone. (just as the notifications ;-). Wishing you a lot success to make things a LOT better, our simple: TURN ALL THE CHANGES BACK, PLEASE!!!

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 1:13 PM

The front page design is difficult for spotting announcements. Any important announcement will be buried by the amount of eye filling images displayed. Like static noise.

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

Maddelirium ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 1:47 PM

I understand with new site layouts, come bugs but when I first saw the site I thought it was great, now I'm realizing that navigation is far beyond frustrating. The gallery issues others have mentioned, really need to be fixed. My biggest concern at the moment is the Marketplace. As a vendor is very upsetting to see your new product released only to find out it's not listed anywhere in the MP! My new character was just released and good luck finding her under any category. It's not listed under "New" which is strange because she's NEW! and she's not shown in any other category. How are vendors supposed to sell products when buyers can't even see them?!!

Maddelirium ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 2:05 PM

I spoke too soon, my new product is now showing in the MP. This is just confusing, although it doesn't take much to confuse me!

MKDAWUSS ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 7:49 PM

They could have kept the addresses alone. Now my quick access pages are outdated.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 9:02 PM

@4220458 Best laugh all day! Thank you so much! :) "Who the hell does renders on a smart phone." loooool I love this line! That would be an impressive smart phone. And very, very, very patient user....Might take a day to render what, a person's foot?

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 9:02 PM

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 9:04 PM · edited Wed, 19 August 2015 at 9:05 PM

Beta testing. Apparently that phrase is totally unknown here.... Instead somebody decided "save a little money, what's the worst that can happen" and ends up losing months of revenue. Bravo.

IceEmpress ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2015 at 10:27 PM · edited Wed, 19 August 2015 at 10:28 PM

The idea that "we will fix it in post production" is costly and just doesn't work. What we are experiencing now on this site suggests that someone took shortcuts. I do not doubt the good intentions of the staff of Rendorosity or their ability to fix the problems people are experiencing. But by the time they do this people may be so pissed off it will not make any difference. Food for thought the next you guys make "improvements" to the site.
Unfortunately, that is the rule at DAZ and RDNA as well.

Actually, one of the admins informed me in a different thread that there actually was beta testing this time
Daz did beta testing for its new site design, as well. They still implemented it when it was only half-way fixed though.

It`s all about the show here at Renderosity and also at DAZ and with the new design of their software. They waste so much space for nothing and your workspace gets smaller and smaller everytime they do update their software and so it seems to be here at renderosity and their store and gallery.
Unfortunately, that is slowly becoming the industry standard. It's called the "Metro Style". Metro is all about bland, flat pages with constant motion (described as "lively"), usually via carousels or swiping, and big buttons rather than icons. Though the genuine metro style is made for super wide-screens monitors and mobile apps.
This despite conflicting studies on whether or not carousels increase sales.

ptousig ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2015 at 6:45 AM · edited Thu, 20 August 2015 at 6:55 AM

@4221358

My awareness that there was a new site coming was via a maintenance page when the upgrade actually happened. I visit Rendo's Marketplace daily. I receive update emails from them. Nowhere was there any promotion for testers. So who were their testers? They needed more than "does it work" testing. They needed "does this meet your needs? Why/Why not?" testing.

Edit: It seems, based on another post in a different thread, that there were such testers and that they gave negative feedback during the testing phase, and changes were not made. Honestly, it would have been less disappointing to know that there was a lack of appropriate testers.

I probably have a leg up here, because I work in software design, but it isn't rocket science to recognize that you need to understand that what your actual users want an application to do is far more important than what the application designers think it ought to do. This site isn't just buggy. (And boy, is it.) It doesn't seem especially fit for purpose. Functionality was removed or downgraded seemingly without thought to how that functionality was used. (I'm looking at search and the gallery, here, in particular.)

Stuff like the image dimension limits on gallery uploads simply should never have changed by surprise. If it was going to change, there should have been a "hey, this is changing" post somewhere at a minimum, and ideally, there should have been some community input on what good limits should be. Long, long before the implementation.

ptousig ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2015 at 6:55 AM

Razor42 ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2015 at 7:52 AM

I nominate FrankT for the most inappropriately named thread for the year! :D

3dstories ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2015 at 12:39 PM · edited Thu, 20 August 2015 at 12:41 PM

I agree with Baggins Bill on Page one, and PTOUsig in the specifics listed.

I was thinking that the site was being designed for smart phones or something because it is so dysfunctional on my desktop that I find it hard to believe the redesign was intentional for my type of system.

To the person who commented that the forum format was better, I have a question. Where are all the simple basics to underline, resize text and make bold? On my machine you have to click on a blue "Markdown" text (what the heck relevancy is 'Markdown'?) and then basically program in your underlining etc. via special characters.

Razor42, Thank you. You made me smile! -3Dstories

carrara_pat ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2015 at 3:10 PM

As long as I can shop securely ............. It is secure isn't it?? Last time the page loads were slow like this there was a key-trapping scammer stealing credit card info.

Groade ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2015 at 12:10 AM · edited Sat, 22 August 2015 at 12:10 AM

I've looked through this thread and I don't see anything from the OP explaining exactly what they like so much about new layout. Like others, I can't think of too many positive things about it and I can give specifics about what : Needlessly disorganized and cluttered, pointless offset to images, inconsistencies between sections (compare the What's New of the Marketplace and the Freestuff) and a general feeling that the changes are not meant to make things more streamline or easier but just meant to make the site look cool for phone users in complete disregard for PC users.

Last time I checked, I don't think my iPhone can render images.

dml2000 ( ) posted Sat, 22 August 2015 at 11:38 AM

well I just got an email notice that Powerage was reducing it's products by up to 50% off and clicked on the page that sent me right to the Powerage page. After seeing the little revolving circle for 3-4 minutes I just said screw it.. and closed down the page.. I can understand a site wanting to better it's self but it should only have to deal with minor bugs after the site is up, The new site is running really slow, and do we really need those large thumbs.. and if the answer to that is yes. . could the vendors please install some text that the item for sale is DAZ Studio Related

Regards DML2000

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2015 at 2:09 PM

Razor42 posted at 8:09PM Mon, 24 August 2015 - #4221490

I nominate FrankT for the most inappropriately named thread for the year! :D

I still like the new site design though :) and it seems to be loading a lot faster for me as well

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2015 at 2:12 PM · edited Mon, 24 August 2015 at 2:12 PM

Groade posted at 8:10PM Mon, 24 August 2015 - #4222711

I've looked through this thread and I don't see anything from the OP explaining exactly what they like so much about new layout. Like others, I can't think of too many positive things about it and I can give specifics about what : Needlessly disorganized and cluttered, pointless offset to images, inconsistencies between sections (compare the What's New of the Marketplace and the Freestuff) and a general feeling that the changes are not meant to make things more streamline or easier but just meant to make the site look cool for phone users in complete disregard for PC users.

Last time I checked, I don't think my iPhone can render images.

That would be because I gave up reading this thread after the sh*tstorm of comments.
for me it is cleaner, faster and easier to navigate.

I'm not totally sold on the endless scrolling gallery though

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

rachel12 ( ) posted Tue, 25 August 2015 at 3:53 PM

Actually, I'm wondering if they're trying to find how many images they can stuff on the home page? I find it so messy and busy, all I do now, is load Renderosity....waiting...waiting....waiting...select 'New Items' from the menu....waiting.....look and leave. I don't bother anymore looking at the features, the sales...quick look and leave. Too much crap on the home page now.

3dstories ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2015 at 12:46 AM · edited Mon, 31 August 2015 at 1:00 AM

I appreciate Frank T Standing his ground!

Frank, it looks like you've been on Rendo for almost ten years. Why do you like the re-do? What specifically do you feel is good?
and, if I may ask, what kind of device(s) are you viewing this site on? I know some others have said they use Tablets primarily to purchase items at Renderosity.
Is the site format similar to others you like and are familiar with? (The new site, at its best, is alien and uncomfortable to me on my device, which is a windows graphics station). Do you use any ad blockers to help it load faster (I haven't yet, but may take some of the suggestions by folks in these threads)?

I've been told that the forums are not necessarily representative of all the people that purchase at Renderosity. Are there twitter or FB posts which are different? I don't see what you are seeing but I'd really like to know why you feel the site is easier to use than what was here before.

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2015 at 1:34 PM

Hi 3DStories
I'm using the site on a Windows 7 workstation using the latest firefox - I also use an Android tablet at times

• site loads a lot faster - I do use Adblock and Noscript so they may be helping
  • forums haven't changed appreciably for me - I don't mind using markup, it's pretty easy to get the hang of.
  • I'm not totally convinced by the infinite scrolling in the galleries - I'd prefer it to be paged personally.
  • the activity feed isn't a huge problem for me - it's a single click when I hit the site to open it up and have a look. Forum ebots have been sorted out now and they seem to be working ok.
  • I like the way an image opens in a separate tab so you don't lose your place in the gallery.

I have a few photo's to upload so we'll see how that goes.

I haven't purchased anything as yet - my 3D activities have taken a bit of a back seat to photography so I couldn't comment on that bit but having a quick wander around the marketplace wasn't too horrible.

I can't put my finger on any one thing which I particularly like but none of it is actively horrible or makes me not want to visit.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion and that's fine - healthy debate is always a good thing so I wouldn't expect everyone to feel the same way.

I kind of wish I hadn't started the thread now though - it immediately descended into flames about the site re-design but hey - you live and learn right?

(I can't believe I've been a member for 10 years! wow 😀 )

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

3dstories ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2015 at 4:09 PM · edited Mon, 31 August 2015 at 4:16 PM

Thanks, Frank. Enjoyed reading your comments. Appreciate that you took the time to answer my questions.

I'm glad your started the thread. It's honest enthusiasm, and a different perspective than the others.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.