Fri, Sep 20, 4:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Really unhappy with the new site design

CobraBlade ( ) posted Sat, 29 August 2015 at 10:05 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 9:00 AM

I have to say the new site design is a nightmare, and has seen Renderosity go from my favourite runtime store to my least favourite to visit. If I search for anything, nothing on screen is even relevant, just ads, both banners and also products of no relevance to my search popping up instead. I have to literally scroll down a whole screen to get my first actual result. Even then, with this new layout, one 3rd of the screen is dedicated to products getting promoted that have no relevance to what I'm after.

I don't post much on here, but as you can see that this change is so bad that I felt I had to in this case. Ultimately, it's a horrible browsing experience that'll force me to become more reliant on other stores that sadly enough, now provide a far more enjoyable shopping experience.

Poser scripts by Snarlygribbly

KimberlyC ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2015 at 11:24 PM

I'm sorry that you are having problems with the site. Is there a certain thing you are trying to search for (a product or a member?).

Regarding the ads.. many people are using an adblocker.

CobraBlade ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2015 at 4:17 AM

Thank you for replying Kimberly,
I know ad blockers can take out the banner ads... so I could do that... but the promoted items are another story. I wish it were a lot more like eBay, where the paid to be promoted products only appear at the top of a search query that is actually related. While I'm not looking for anything right now (found what I was after at DAZ), lets say I do a search for walls or a fortress. The very sexualised images of what was getting put before what I was actually searching for (poses or possibly underwear items for V4 or later), wouldn't have been the most fun thing to explain to my wife... even though I wasn't searching for anything even remotely related.

As for screen real-estate, with my comments of loosing one third of the screen, I don't browse fullscreen. So it isn't an exaggeration, the side bar full of images promoting other non-related items is literally taking up at least one third of my screen.

Anyway, that's enough of my complaint I guess. I really preferred how the site use to be, and really hope even if it doesn't get reverted back... the site will at least become a bit more user friendly again since it is a shame to not see Renderosity as my preferred market after the years of shopping here. In Renderosity's defence, search results are still more accurate than RuntimeDNA's... provided I ignore and scroll pass all the promoted results that shouldn't even be there IMO.

Anyway, thanks for reading through my issue with the current site design.

Poser scripts by Snarlygribbly

RodS ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2015 at 8:57 AM
Online Now!

KimberlyC posted at 7:54AM Mon, 31 August 2015 - #4225478

Regarding the ads.. many people are using an adblocker.

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but if a lot of folks are using an adblocker, perhaps there's a message here? Just my $0.02...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

3dstories ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2015 at 4:28 PM

I was thinking the same thing, Rod.

But I didn't want to say it as I didn't want to discourage folks like Kimberly from offering practical advice when it helps us all. My guess is she already knows and may be experiencing the same problems, and it's a management decision to see if the trade-off will bring in more revenue without significantly annoying users.

I haven't tried the ad block stuff yet, but I think I'm going to..

Kazam561 ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2015 at 5:25 PM

Are vendor shops displaying only 3 columns wide now? Or is that just the way it's rendering for me? Seems like lots of wasted space. When I load a vendors shop all I can see is 3 items at a time. I'm not zoomed in or anything like that either. I know that it's been repeatedly said it's not designed for touch screens but it certainly is sized for touch screen monitors. I'd think they'd go crazy too with it only showing 3 wide and 1 row at a time as well.

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

romanceworks ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2015 at 6:12 PM

I'm having a very hard time reading the dark blue links on the dark background. Not enough contrast.

RodS ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2015 at 7:44 PM
Online Now!

3dstories posted at 6:38PM Mon, 31 August 2015 - #4225688

I haven't tried the ad block stuff yet, but I think I'm going to..

Yeah, I think I'm going to give it a go, myself... :-)

I know all these 'decisions' are made at a higher management level, and then the admins are left to deal with the fallout (and wiseacres like me.. LOL). I'm sure that the revenue from renting out the ad space helps with expenses, I just wish there was another way.... I miss the "old" Rendo... sigh :-(

KimberlyC ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2015 at 12:33 AM

romanceworks - I will bring this up. I completely understand!

RodS - I was waiting for such a comment. ;)

Kazam561 ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2015 at 1:57 AM

romanceworks posted at 1:57AM Tue, 01 September 2015 - #4225705

I'm having a very hard time reading the dark blue links on the dark background. Not enough contrast.

Which dark blue links? I'm not even seeing those.... :( Can you post a screen shot pic?

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

IceEmpress ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2015 at 5:28 AM

My issue is with the unnavigatable store meant for narrow iphone devices. Two rows, huge thumbs, a lot of space wasted on a column to the left with Rendo ads, space wasted at the top with 3~4 "featured products" Though I doubt it will work, I've had enough. Let's see if I can block element all of thus BS clutter.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2015 at 8:34 AM

IceEmpress posted at 8:33AM Tue, 01 September 2015 - #4225777

My issue is with the unnavigatable store meant for narrow iphone devices. Two rows, huge thumbs, a lot of space wasted on a column to the left with Rendo ads, space wasted at the top with 3~4 "featured products" Though I doubt it will work, I've had enough. Let's see if I can block element all of thus BS clutter.

I mentioned this in another thread. Just in a normal browser, when you load a vendor's shop, you can only see items at a time. Maybe zooming out to 70%? It's pretty dismal.

RodS ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2015 at 5:01 PM
Online Now!

KimberlyC posted at 3:58PM Tue, 01 September 2015 - #4225745

RodS - I was waiting for such a comment. ;)

LOL - Glad I could be of service! :-D

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2015 at 6:52 PM

This is what the site looks like after 2 minutes of download time over a 1.33 mbps connection. Anybody want to guess how much I can buy from home?

RendoLoad.JPG

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2015 at 2:49 AM

It would be nice if there was a way to limit the image load (or resize them) for slower connections.The https connections are slower (but generally more secure) by nature but all the extra image loading.... maybe caching images would work if they weren't changed so frequently for slower connections. Honestly, I'm betting dial up (yes there are still a large number of people stuck with that) connections (not me thankfully) can't even access the website. Talk about page loading nightmare....

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2015 at 2:51 AM

Just googled, it's 2.1 million people still using dial up... wow... that's patience. I suppose text based browsers (there are some) but that kind of defeats the previews of products.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2015 at 8:11 AM

But 1.3 mbps is not dial up, that's 56k or .056 mbps. We're talking low end broadband being shut out. Along with rural DSL The question is how many potential customers is this site unusable for. I would point out I can use both the DAZ and runtimeDNA sites well at home.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2015 at 11:23 AM

That's why I used the phrase "loading nightmare". :) Hey, what's the deal, colon mark shows country flags now? : ??? When did that start? Type colon and see...

IceEmpress ( ) posted Fri, 04 September 2015 at 9:43 PM

I mentioned this in another thread. Just in a normal browser, when you load a vendor's shop, you can only see items at a time. Maybe zooming out to 70%? It's pretty dismal.
Nope. Still two items even when I zoom out to 30%. Used block element to get rid of those 4 sponsored products at the top, though :)
For anyone who is interested, the 4 sponsored products were blocked using this filter:

renderosity.com##.thumbnail.dark-thumb.margin-bottom-none.wook-item.bcs-item-sponsored

That will get rid of it without any problems (or at least for me it has, anyhow). Now you have just a tiny bit less scrolling to do, and no more getting tricked into thinking that the first 4 hits are part of your search results.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2015 at 8:50 AM

Nice.... thanks IceEmpress!

kassad ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2015 at 10:33 AM

I don't like the new site design at all!!! Why do you always have to change things. Now Renderosity look like Facebook, and that is not a compliment :)

B->

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2015 at 1:05 PM

There is an element of "Who moved my cheese?" in any site update, but I still don't understand the logic behind running somebody else's ads on your store front page, you mean to tell me you can make more money advertising somebody else's products then selling your own? If that's the case your doing something wrong. It would be like walking into a Sears, and the first eight feet past the front door is nothing but ads for things at Walmart.

I'm not in your store because I want to look at what somebody else is selling, I'm in your store because I want to buy something you sell.

jamminwolf ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2015 at 6:53 PM

diogenese19348 posted at 6:42PM Sun, 06 September 2015 - #4226794

If that's the case your doing something wrong. It would be like walking into a Sears, and the first eight feet past the front door is nothing but ads for things at Walmart.

I'm not in your store because I want to look at what somebody else is selling, I'm in your store because I want to buy something you sell.

LOL I haven't seen that yet since the update, but you made me laugh the way you said it. hehe.

I too don't like the huge icons, but it does make you see the promo better though. It just makes you have to navigate more. There are a lot of cons and pros on the update, but yes the staff are aiming at better sales, more clearly visible icons. I'd say the 4 promotional icons should be at least half the size though.

One of my complaint about the update is that I was going to upload an image, but I went all around searching for the upload button and can't find it. Also now I can't find the "browse by vendor" option (to find images rendered by others, connected to vendors' products). I always liked doing that, even finding new images that used my products (yes I'm a vendor too). Now I'm forced to go to every products by vendors and click the "gallery" tab. Yea, this new update did, indeed, took my cheese and I'm not happy lol. I'll survive though.

...wolfie

DavidGB ( ) posted Wed, 09 September 2015 at 6:43 PM

Is the current display in the store, freestuff and search results that only has one row of items visible at a time in my laptop browser definitely staying? (The last site update started like this too, but eventually sanity prevailed and it went back to two lines of item visible at a time.) I can't deal with all the extra scrolling - too much time, too much movement, too much pain. I've kept on dropping in just to the marketplace What's New first page to see if the display has improved to show a reasonable number of items at a time, but if this change is apsolutely definitely permananet I'd really like to know so I can save the time and pain and just stop coming here completely. I haven't bought anything since the site change, will not buy anything (or look beyond how many items are visible at a time) while the layout is like this, and I'd appreciate a definitive statement if this aspect of the change is permanent. If it is ... I won't close my account, just in case I need to redownload something or download an update; But I'd like to know to stop coming here in the hope the store layout has improved to what's acceptable to me. The time I can use my computer is limited enough I really don't want to keep wasting any of it looking for a change here if It's ceertain it's not coming.

3dstories ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2015 at 3:25 AM · edited Fri, 11 September 2015 at 3:31 AM

FWIW,

Haven't really looked to buy anything recently because I'm still not finding it interesting or fun to browse the site. Way too much work in scrolling is one big reason. Can often see only part of product images at a time is another.

If there is a target device that this is supposed to work well on and that others are using I'd really like to know because it doesn't seem to be my desktop.

Have been spending time reading the forums, however, which I did not do very much before.

Is there any feedback on how sales are doing? I wish Renderosity well.

Wodokan ( ) posted Sat, 12 September 2015 at 7:29 AM

Still not happy with the new design here either. I feel like I have given it some time now to get used to it (that always takes a while), and it's still simply not as good as it used to be. I can understand that many websites have an interest to catering for display on mobile devices, etc. - and perhaps it is a tiny bit better for those now. However, this site is about a topic where people tend to want to also use some of the things that they buy, and you cannot really use any of this on a small smart phone. On my screen, at least, it looks like a terrible waste of space left and right.

dieterderblau ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2015 at 8:10 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how to tell poser freestuff from Bryce freestuff from DS freestuff... Nevermind every complaint up there^ being echoed by me (Except the ads, AdBlockerPlus for the win, kids...)

The new site has ensured I really don't come back here, and when I do, I turn around and LEAVE. Like I am now. Bye.

3dstories ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2015 at 4:25 AM · edited Mon, 14 September 2015 at 4:38 AM

There are no prices on the marketplace page. FWIW In a store or catalog I tend to ignore items without prices. One or two, maybe. A barrage, no. I really do not care for the layout. I'm not looking at any of the images on the main marketing page, just for how I can get to the new items, Prime items, etc. and what prices, sizes, models that they are for, etc. the quickest. Just give me the buttons or tabs for what's new, etc. You're making me scroll through lines of worthless images on the marketing page at that point. They do not excite me or whet my appetite. They're just in the way.

Sabby made a pretty pointed comment about scrolling in another thread, so I'm not alone in the scrolling aspect right now.

I feel the main marketing page could still be pretty easily tightened up quite a bit and made much more user friendly.

It's not right yet.

Maybe make a collage of the new items that also doubles as button for 'What's New', "Prime" etc.? Maybe have four to six of them in a line before I have to scroll to the next page/screen, please??

I came to like the summary page that Renderosity had that greeted me before. It could have been tweaked, but it was a heck of a lot better than what is presented now, I feel.

3dstories ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2015 at 4:36 AM · edited Mon, 14 September 2015 at 4:40 AM

And, I'll put something I said in another thread here, too. It was an off-hand comment that is probably more appropriate in this location.:

Has anybody noticed that the new sash and color for 'Prime' looks remarkably close to the logo for Breast Cancer Survivors, or is it just me?

beachzz ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2015 at 12:19 AM

Oh man, what have you done??? This new site is horrible; impossible to navigate and clunky as all get out. it takes forever to fotos to load, then Iook at a few and it has to reload the next batch. No page numbers sucks too, it's hard to go back and look at something you saw.

RR wasn't broke; it didn't need fixing!!

beachzz

RodS ( ) posted Wed, 16 September 2015 at 3:19 PM
Online Now!

It's broke now..... Beyond repair, I'm afraid....

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Thu, 17 September 2015 at 3:30 AM · edited Thu, 17 September 2015 at 3:31 AM

still cannot find the local time setting. Since the site make over began it disapeared. Rendo once had that before.

PhilW ( ) posted Thu, 17 September 2015 at 1:07 PM

I too am hating the new design. Without getting notifications, I am coming to Rendo a lot less often (is that what they really wanted?!), things seem to need twice as many clicks, page loading seems a lot slower, probably due to the overpopulation of ads. It used to be one of my favourite sites but I can see me using it less and less unless it improves.

RodS ( ) posted Thu, 17 September 2015 at 6:17 PM
Online Now!

Me, too, Phil..... To quote what one of the admins told me in another thread: "I'm sorry, the site is as it will be.." So it looks like things are not going to improve... :-(

PhilW ( ) posted Thu, 17 September 2015 at 6:24 PM

I don't understand how they can take something that broadly worked fine and make such a mess of it. Are they really looking to alienate regular users??

RodS ( ) posted Thu, 17 September 2015 at 7:20 PM
Online Now!

It would appear so... The only theory I can come up with is that for some unfathomable reason they're wanting to drive away all the old members to make room (?) for newer ones. Why they would want to do that is beyond me.... but it's working.. Many of us spent (or did spend) a lot of money in the marketplace. I've been here 6 years, and until very recently (read pre-revolution), I rarely had a month where I didn't qualify for render rewards. I still pick up an item or two, but nothing like before. I'd be interested in seeing the sales numbers before vs. after the 'revolution.'

I've pretty much given up trying to understand their logic.. I guess it's their ball game, and they'll play by their own rules - whether they make sense to us or not. "The site is as it will be...." So be it. :-(

hopeandlove ( ) posted Fri, 18 September 2015 at 11:42 AM · edited Fri, 18 September 2015 at 11:45 AM

-Timberwolf- posted at 11:39AM Fri, 18 September 2015 - #4228888

still cannot find the local time setting. Since the site make over began it disapeared. Rendo once had that before.

Hey-- if you're referring to the date, time and how many members are on, here's a screenshot below:

Untitled 12.png

You'll find all of these things at the top of the homepage. I've highlighted it in blue for you to see.

But, if this is not what you're referring to, please let us know! Thank you!

Hope Kumor

Editor-in-chief of Renderosity Magazine

Inspired_Art ( ) posted Fri, 18 September 2015 at 12:49 PM

I have to agree. The site design for some reason is really just going from awful to downright unusable at times. At first I thought it was my browser (still using Windows Vista, Internet Explorer 9), then I switched to Chrome and it was tolerable, but better. Now it's just awful but I can "manage." I did try upgrading to Windows 8.1 and the site was a lot better. But here's the thing: I'm an oldie...I abhor and can't understand Windows 8/9/10. The text in the Rendo forum headlines (Subject) is meant for the blind. It's like the new designer didn't know/doesn't know what they were doing. And I won't even get started on the homepage. 😒

Eddy

Giana ( ) posted Fri, 18 September 2015 at 9:20 PM

the homepage is just so incredibly cluttered and busy that nothing stands out at all, no real focal point to rest upon.

i use my activity feed to get the time/date/members online info instead of going to the eye-blasting homepage

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2015 at 11:29 AM

Inspired_Art posted at 10:28AM Fri, 25 September 2015 - #4229229

I have to agree. The site design for some reason is really just going from awful to downright unusable at times. At first I thought it was my browser (still using Windows Vista, Internet Explorer 9), then I switched to Chrome and it was tolerable, but better. Now it's just awful but I can "manage." I did try upgrading to Windows 8.1 and the site was a lot better. But here's the thing: I'm an oldie...I abhor and can't understand Windows 8/9/10. The text in the Rendo forum headlines (Subject) is meant for the blind. It's like the new designer didn't know/doesn't know what they were doing. And I won't even get started on the homepage. 😒

Windows 8/9/10? I must have missed 9 👅

DavidGB ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2015 at 3:09 PM

No reply, I see, to my request for a definitive answer as to whether the current design of the Marketplace What's New, search results and Freestuff, with items so large only one row is visible at a time, is definitely staying, or whether it may be changed to (or a user selectable option be provided for) something more reasonable as happened last site change. I take the lack of answer as an answer - that this aspect of the new design IS staying.

As I've said, the fact that looking for or through things here takes two to three times more scrolling than all other sites for Poser/DS content is a complete deal breaker for me. Too much scrolling, too much time, too much effort, too much pain. After 11 years as a customer here, I haven't bought anything since this new site design, just kept checking the What's New to see if the display haas improved to being able to see more than one line of products ata time on my laptop screen. This is clearly wasted effort. I'll give it to Monday evening either for a change or conformation a change is under development or at least serious consideration. Assuming neither is forthcoming, on Tuesday I'll remove Renderosity from my bookmark folder of DAZ/Poser-stuff sites to check on and buy from, and stop coming here completely barring any need to re-download one of my past purchases.

It's so sad to see a website I've used for so long go this way.

chanur56 ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2015 at 5:00 PM

I'm afraid you have to go, sorry, as others have done and I'll do too, because nothing will change here, they just don't get it. Since the change I only checked the first page of 'what's new' and the forum. But the 'what's new' page is lacking most of the well known vendors (where have they gone?) and the forum got very silent (not because the user are satisfied, they seem to have left, it feels like 'the last one may shut down the light'...). I found a few items though this month that I couldn't resist, but for the first time I'll not met the amount for the render awards (Though they are now are at a whooping 7% for prime members...). Next month I'll spent even less because I'm not interested to play their 'hide & seek' game anymore. I'm 'back' at DAZ now, thanks to Rendo for this 'revolution', because I searched and found other sites that are easy to navigate and straight for the sale of content without that social media crap that has taken over the place we once called 'home'... :(

gtscomics ( ) posted Sun, 27 September 2015 at 7:42 AM

Not seeing a search button in the landing page of the store. Is it right in front of me or did someone think if they hide it I'd be forced to scroll through more content and see something else I'd want to buy? I can't buy anything right now because I can't find what I need.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Sun, 27 September 2015 at 8:55 PM

"No reply, I see, to my request for a definitive answer as to whether the current design of the Marketplace What's New, search results and Freestuff, with items so large only one row is visible at a time, is definitely staying, or whether it may be changed to (or a user selectable option be provided for) something more reasonable as happened last site change. I take the lack of answer as an answer - that this aspect of the new design IS staying.

Yes that is the design of those areas.

The search is on the top tool bar by the Renderosity image. :)

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Mon, 28 September 2015 at 7:18 AM

hopeandlove posted at 2:17PM Mon, 28 September 2015 - #4229195

-Timberwolf- posted at 11:39AM Fri, 18 September 2015 - #4228888

Hey-- if you're referring to the date, time and how many members are on, here's a screenshot below:

Untitled 12.png

You'll find all of these things at the top of the homepage. I've highlighted it in blue for you to see.

But, if this is not what you're referring to, please let us know! Thank you!

Well, yes I know, but how to set it? Not every member is living in the US.

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Mon, 28 September 2015 at 7:18 AM

When can we expect to have those mentioned issues fixed?

Frequency3D ( ) posted Mon, 28 September 2015 at 8:17 AM
Online Now!

I hope the time and date are kept the way they are... Renderosity time. I can see my local date and time on my computer anyway. ;)

Frequency Gallery  |  Frequency Store

KimberlyC ( ) posted Mon, 28 September 2015 at 11:27 AM

The date/time has never been able to be changes as it is for Renderosity time. This is something that I'm sure will not change. This helps quite a few members know when things will be closing. Example: Contests or sales.

Frequency3D ( ) posted Mon, 28 September 2015 at 11:50 AM
Online Now!

It is really useful for vendors, that's for sure :D

Frequency Gallery  |  Frequency Store

auntietk ( ) posted Mon, 28 September 2015 at 8:50 PM

Oops! Sorry Kimberly ... there used to be an option for changing the time stamp to your local time zone. I never used it because it was confusing to me ... I never knew which time zone I was seeing ... but those who bring this up are not imagining things. :) It really WAS an option.

Tara

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Tue, 29 September 2015 at 1:56 AM

KimberlyC posted at 8:50AM Tue, 29 September 2015 - #4231210

The date/time has never been able to be changes as it is for Renderosity time. This is something that I'm sure will not change. This helps quite a few members know when things will be closing. Example: Contests or sales.

NO, I striktley disaggree. I defniatley was allowed to set the Rendo time to my local time with the old Rendo website (3Years ago). Rendo canceled this feature, since they've started to rebuild their website. I am completley shure about this. I renember having done this setting. BTW, it works on every other site, why not on rendo?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.