Wed, Oct 9, 6:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 9:36 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: figure modeling

theuberdude ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 1:30 PM · edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 6:29 PM

If possible can someone post a tutorial on how to model a male or female figure in 3ds max or lightwave,using boxex/polygons, I use Animation Master, being that is a different modeling convention theses tips would be very helpful, oh one more thing can somebody recommend the best software to create/modify morph tarhets in Poser, thanks

cloudedInMystery ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 4:24 PM

Go to http://www.Flay.com and look to the top, right side of your browser, under "Articles and Features", and click the link "Human Modeling Tutorial". This shows the steps to modeling a male human figure. It uses box modeling, like you wanted.

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 7:08 PM

okay, cloud.... now explain to me how he went from having like 5 polygons making up the torso, to all those little polygons making up the nipple, and the ones that split and do those three lines here and three lines there at the muscle intersections :/ uberdude: the most common progs used to make poser morph targets are anim8or, rhino, and amorphim(pro), although z-brush is making a big impression, now. if i understand correctly, lightwave can make morph targets for poser, but it cant do fancy tricks such as hiding the teeth/tongue while you work on the skin (you can, but it messes up the vertex count/order, or some such). dont forget what poser's magnets can do. they are pretty handy!

cloudedInMystery ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2001 at 7:12 PM

Probably used Sub Divide. Can also use the Knife tool or the Split tool. When box modeling, you add alot to create more detail.

TRAVISB ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 10:27 AM

personally i thought the tutorial at flay is very lacking but thats just me bloodsong use band saw and use it alot what i tend to do is model the body out as much as possible when i have the basic form ill go back and start adding more geometry by using band saw then doing this whole stepa again until you have the detail you desire

cloudedInMystery ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 3:40 PM

I do the same thing as Travis, but don't let Bandsaw get out of hand. I made that mistake on my first human head. It's better to use Bandsaw in the very beginning, then use the Knife and Split tools to add more precise detail to the model. For example, instead of using Bandsaw for adding detail to the nose (which will split all the polys to the back of the head, just use the Knife tool to split up the nose.

bloodsong ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 5:29 PM

heyas; not to turn this into a lightwave-specific discussion... but how do you use a knife and NOT cut through the whole model? i tried it on a few polys at a time and it was really wiggy. and where's this split thingy in #7? :/ bandsaw, i understand. but the torso muscles, specifically, they start and stop within the torso, and merge/divide at the ends there. bandsaw cant do that. unless you weld the other bits together, i guess.

cloudedInMystery ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 5:34 PM

Ok, to knife up polys, you select only the polys you want to knife. The split tool is Ctrl + l. You must first select the poly, then select the points that will split that poly.

cathuria ( ) posted Sat, 06 October 2001 at 8:37 AM

Bloodsong -- pardon me if you've already got this, but it sounds like what you're looking for is the "=" key. Select the poly's you want to work on (or select the entire surface using the stats ("w") window) then hit the "equals" key to make everything else invisible. Operations you perform won't affect the hidden poly's. Be careful when using knife or bandsaw, as this will result in separated edges (the extra point will exist in the sliced poly's edge, but not the adjacent hidden poly's) -- you'll have to weld the new points on the ends to existing corner vertices to get the edges joined again. And hit the backlsash to unhide things.

bloodsong ( ) posted Sat, 06 October 2001 at 1:08 PM

heyas; oh, okay. actually, i figured out split, and now im happy :) at least until i try to do something else i dont know how to do! ;D and yeah, whats with those flay featured tutorial things? like six pictures of step one and step twenty-five, two sentances of 'now make it go from this to this' and no explanations??? sheesh.

cathuria ( ) posted Sat, 06 October 2001 at 1:45 PM

Yeah, a lot of so-called tutorials have that problem... Another type of non-tutorial I've learned to avoid are the ones that don't actually show you how to build something, they just tell you how to duplicate it... "Place your next 115 polygons using the following vertices: X, Y, Z; X, Y, Z; X, Y, Z; X, Y, Z; X, Y, Z; X, Y, Z; ad nauseum" Who models like that? Fortunately, there are still plenty of tutorials on the web that actually teach something and they're worth the search. I've learned more from tutorials available free on the web than from any other source of LW education.

cloudedInMystery ( ) posted Sat, 06 October 2001 at 3:59 PM

The best thing to do is to learn modeling on your own. It's good to take some hints from tutorials, but I wouldn't follow them to the key. Find out what works best for you. There's always a few different ways to get to the same point. By just following tutorials, you never really learn. But, if you sit there and experiment, you learn more than any tutorial can teach you (good or bad).

bloodsong ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 9:30 AM

lol cathuria! yeah, those are pretty dumb, and you dont learn ANYthing.

Figure2 ( ) posted Sun, 14 October 2001 at 10:34 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=2594

For those of you who are interested in modeling human figures, I have a disc of multi-view photos of a male and female model available in the Marketplace. This disc is set up especially for 3D modelers. I used the photos myself to build 2 figure models in Animation Master. You can see the models at: Female: http://www.figure2productions.com/RendFM_Figure.html Male: http://www.figure2productions.com/ML_FigureRend.html

twillis ( ) posted Mon, 15 October 2001 at 9:22 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=245427

This is probably more basic and cartoony than what you are looking for, but I thought I'd post it just in case (this was done in Carrara, but the technique is adaptable). --Terri

AXIAM ( ) posted Tue, 16 October 2001 at 3:39 PM

Greetings ..once while lookin thru the section..on tutorials..I had found a Link to CR2 Edit... well i lost the linkDoes any one know the URL...for CR2 edit ? please ... AXIAM

cloudedInMystery ( ) posted Tue, 16 October 2001 at 3:42 PM

Post in the proper forum Axiam. This forum has nothing to do with Poser and editing CR2 files. Why not post in the Poser forum?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.