Thu, Sep 19, 9:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / New Poser Users Help

Welcome to the New Poser Users Help Forum

Forum Moderators: Anim8dtoon, RedPhantom, Staff

New Poser Users Help F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 2:37 pm)

New to Poser? Ask questions here for expert help!

Subject: Help, no Library

ArtOfDreams ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2015 at 10:57 AM ยท edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 1:23 PM

Hello,

i use Poser Pro 2012 and after a new installation my library is only a white window :-(

And I get this message:

file_76dc611d6ebaafc66cc0879c71b5db5c.PNPoser Pro exe don't works...

Can somebody help me please?

ArtOfDreams ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2015 at 12:15 PM

This problem is fixed, but another problem.

Now I get this message:

file_0aa1883c6411f7873cb83dacb17b0afc.PNThe newest Flash is installed...

donnena ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2015 at 2:01 PM

Guessing, here....

Is Flash installed to IE?ย 

have you rebooted since flash was installed?ย  it wouldn't matter to the browser, but something might need to be written somewhere for Poser to find it.....

Good Luck!!

;>

Andy!

ArtOfDreams ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2015 at 2:10 PM

Hi Andy,

I don't know how to install flash to IE...

I use only Firefox as Browser.

Rebootet I have

donnena ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2015 at 2:29 PM

HI Sweetie!!

Poser uses IE (because it knows it will be present on every windows machine!)

launch IE, Search for Adobe Flash download

I tried to get you the link, but it talked to my system and tailored the link to my OS, which may or may not help you!

;>

Andy!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2015 at 2:36 PM

https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/portal/articles/1982355-using-poser-with-internet-explorer-11-or-windows-8?b_id=8847

INTERNET EXPLORER 11: Poser 9 and Poser Pro 2012 require the latest update patch (see links above) for compatibility with Internet Explorer 11. Poser Pro 2012 users can also switch from using the embedded library to using the external library instead, as the external library should not be affected by the version of Internet Explorer installed. This can be done from the Preferences, in the Library tab, under the Launch Behavior.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ArtOfDreams ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2015 at 2:37 PM

Andy, big..big HUGSSSSSSSS to you :-)

Thanks so much, it works โ™ฅ

Peti

Kazam561 ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2015 at 3:21 PM

If you ever have any question about adobe flash version

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Keep it up to date as much as possible. :) Security updates come out pretty frequent sort of..

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

ArtOfDreams ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2015 at 4:40 PM

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

Kazam561 ( ) posted Fri, 21 August 2015 at 7:20 PM

Glad to help :)

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

KittysKat ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2015 at 12:07 PM

I have the same problem with my Poser 9 and that I can't get the exe installed into Poser 9. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do to correct the problem.

KittysKat ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2015 at 12:29 PM

I wrote another question but don't know where it went. I have an install problem. I used Poser 7 and haven't for a couple of years now I am moving up to Poser 9 and manually installing Victoria 4 and Victoria 4 morphs. I am in the Libraries, !DAZ folder and in each of the Victoria 4 & Victoria 4 morphs there is a folder called Victoria 4. I can' add 2 folders with the same name, now what? You can tell it has been awhile. I need to be reading a tutorial on installing content. TIA, Kitty

Kazam561 ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2015 at 6:04 PM

Daz installers were slightly redone to include content versions for Daz Studio. So if you see .duf files, those are the D/S native files. Now there is a plug in for Poser called DSON. You'll want to get the newest version (if you ever got it, the newest should be in your downloads, so redownload it and install it again). That's mainly for any D/S G2 stuff. Some vendors pack both native Poser CR2 stuff, others a CR2 that points to the .duf files which DSON converts when it loads them. On V4 you shouldn't run into any of that...

V4 and her base morphs run better in one of Poser's two runtime libraries. There's the base runtime in (example) C Program Files (x86 if using 386 OS) Smith Micro Poser 9 Runtime, if using Windows 64 bit C Program Files Smith Micro Poser 9 Runtime.

The second runtime is under your Documents Shared Folders. Now you can run content from any external runtime (example, alternate hard drive letters) but best to put V4 in the second one.

The Daz Installer will (zip file too) it under Content (or My Library) with a folder marked Runtime.

There is a folder called !Daz that goes in Poser's Runtime/Library. It's got a folder for each of the individual body parts and the morphs.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2015 at 6:08 PM

The above version is if you use the Daz zip folder and hand copy. BTW, you'll notice in that !Daz folder I just mentioned a short cut to DzCreateExPFiles-V4.bat, you'll want to click on that if you don't see a shortcut for Update V4. Example. If you don't see the shortcut, go to the folder, then double click on the .bat file.

"C:Program Files (x86)Smith MicroPoser 8RuntimeLibraries!DAZDzCreateExPFiles-V4.bat"

It will open a command window and initialize V4. Do this while Poser is closed.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Sun, 23 August 2015 at 6:12 PM

If you use the .exe installer it will ask you which runtime you want to install V4 to, and leave a shortcut to initialize V4 on your desktop. Afterword you can move that icon from your desktop to somewhere else in My Documents (say create a folder Daz Initialization Shortcuts to put future M4, K4, etc in)...

KittysKat ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2015 at 5:38 PM

Actually the installer doesn't ask me anything. I get to the license agreement screen and I click on I accept, then I get a screen (can't get it attached) but it says: There has been an error. Error reading INI file C:Program Files (X86)Common FilesDAZdzInstall.ini The application will exit now

I do have the file folder for the Morphs, I did get the updated version for the morphs, but I still don't know if I can rename the folder in the !DAZ for Victoria 4 to something else, or if I can rename the Victoria 4 (Morphs) folder something else because they both are supposed to go into the !DAZ folder under libraries - at least I think that is where they both go. I am totally frustrated because they are both named the same with different into inside the folders in each one. Kitty

Kazam561 ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2015 at 9:12 PM

You should drag the !DAZ folder to the same location in your Libraries folder. You'll a warning about if you want to write over any duplicate files. The morphs will go in the folders needed. Realize that the morphs affect different body parts on V4. So V4 has a bunch of sub folders located under Runtime, Library, !DAZ. Subfolders like Arm, Hand, Shoulder, Neck, etc. The files from the zip of the body morphs, specifically, the Morph install folder !DAZ has corresponding matching folder locations (as per each morph body part). :) Hope this helps. You shouldn't (unless you have a previous Morph install) have any notices of replacement of any duplicate files.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2015 at 9:16 PM

Give me a few moments, and I'll make a screen shot to better illustrate my explanation..

Kazam561 ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2015 at 9:35 PM ยท edited Mon, 24 August 2015 at 9:47 PM

Okay here's a series of screen caps. I'm hoping they upload correctly.V4 Zip.jpg
V4-2.jpg

V4-3.jpg

V4-4.jpg

V4-5.jpg

V4-6.jpg

Kazam561 ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2015 at 9:50 PM

With other content you're installing into poser you can create and run them from an external runtime. Poser also has a runtime in My Documents (shared folders). Ideally you only want to install Daz characters only to your main runtime as the more installed the more Poser can slow down (when you've added say 40 gigs of items) That's why either using the shared folders, or creating an external runtime is usually advised.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2015 at 9:55 PM

Oh, there's an additional morph you might notice, it's a V4 to V3. This handy dandy addition allows you to use V4 with V3 clothing (after she's been set to V3). Be aware that V4 can bend and move in ways V3 can't so some adjustment of clothing positioning might be necessary.

KittysKat ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2015 at 10:17 PM

OK, I actually understand all that you said and showed. I actually have the folder from the V4 Morphs in the !DAZ folder. Here is the problem, the folder for the V4 Morphs is named the same as the V4 Base is. Now, there is different info in the sub folders for each one, but they both are called - Victoria 4 - folders. They have the abdomen, BODY, bodyMorphs and all those folders. V4 (Base) has files like 02-ps_pe069_DAZ_+++ and others without the DAZ but all are pe069, and the V4 Morphs have 02-ps_pe070_DAZ_+++ and others but all are pe070. But the main folders have the exact same name of Victoria 4 and two folders with the same name won't work in the same !DAZ folder. Can I rename one of them? Kitty

Kazam561 ( ) posted Mon, 24 August 2015 at 10:54 PM

No, don't rename them. The morphs need to go in that folder. If they write over the old ones that's fine. If you rename the folder, then the morphs won't work. There's a pz3 file that looks for the folder name and location. :)

KittysKat ( ) posted Tue, 25 August 2015 at 8:15 AM

So over writing the regular V4 morphs will be ok? You can tell I am a newbie again - the 2nd time, and I don't want to screw it up because I know then I am in real trouble, I should be used to being in trouble at my age! LOL! Thanks for helping. I will let it write over V4 morphs. Kitty

Kazam561 ( ) posted Tue, 25 August 2015 at 10:27 AM

Yes, remember V4 ships with some regular very basic morphs. The morph pack adds a ton (and over writes a few of the old ones) :) Glad to be of help. Please post that it worked out for you :)

KittysKat ( ) posted Tue, 25 August 2015 at 2:11 PM

OMG! I had brain freeze. When I looked at V4 and V4 Morphs I realized I had copied other things into other folders to be added to or replaced but with V4 Morphs my brain suddenly shut down or just went on its own day long, or two days, vacation. I apologize that I needed someone to get my brain back and thinking. I made a big deal out of something that shouldn't have been. Kazam thank you so very much for your patience and gently moving me back to thinking and not analyzing. Yikes, but I have to warn all of you, it may just happen again. LOL! And I think I figured a way around the exe files problem. I have a bunch of them for other things than just the characters. I can put them into Poser 7 and then bring them up into Poser 9. Would that be correct? I have lots of the exe format items. Thank you again. Kitty

Kazam561 ( ) posted Tue, 25 August 2015 at 4:09 PM

:) Not a problem. Yes, in Poser 9 you can add the Poser 7 runtime as an external. I have previous installations of Poser where I kept the runtimes and simply added them as external runtimes :D Quite the time saver. Glad to be of help. I find when I'm sleepy and goofing with poser I make a few silly mistakes too so don't feel bad about the brain freeze. :D

Borgtrekker12 ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2015 at 3:13 AM

Kazam561 posted at 1:04AM Wed, 23 September 2015 - #4223838

With other content you're installing into poser you can create and run them from an external runtime. Poser also has a runtime in My Documents (shared folders). Ideally you only want to install Daz characters only to your main runtime as the more installed the more Poser can slow down (when you've added say 40 gigs of items) That's why either using the shared folders, or creating an external runtime is usually advised.

Just came across this thread and hope it is still being monitored as I have several questions about the same subject... Does this same process work for all DAZ characters including Genesis 1&2, Aiko 3&4, the Girl etc? I am installing them into Poser Pro 2014 and have a separate drive F for all my content. are there any DAZ characters that should not be installed into Poser? What about the CF files, where do they go, and do the matching main installers that include CF files get installed in Poser also or are they strictly for DAZ? Are there any good tutorials out their that explain where to install all these files? If not someone should surely make one as it would really help us newbies... Thanks for the assist, I look for ward to your response.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2015 at 8:29 AM

If your OS is Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1, or Win 10, no content or figures should be installed into Poser, especially if it is located within the Program Files folder. Python scripts are exceptions. PCFs can be installed anywhere as long as their runtimes are linked to the Poser Library. My advice for installing DAZ PCFs into Poser, use the DAZ Install Manager (DIM). Those particular files, including the DAZ Core Files, have a different, additional main folder which is stripped out when using DIM. Otherwise, manual installation would require decompressing the file into a temporary folder then moving the content into their appropriate folders.

And BTW, there is no such figure as Genesis 1, just referring to Genesis is enough to get the point across.

Borgtrekker12 ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2015 at 3:08 PM

hborre posted at 12:47PM Wed, 23 September 2015 - #4230282

If your OS is Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1, or Win 10, no content or figures should be installed into Poser, especially if it is located within the Program Files folder. Python scripts are exceptions. PCFs can be installed anywhere as long as their runtimes are linked to the Poser Library. My advice for installing DAZ PCFs into Poser, use the DAZ Install Manager (DIM). Those particular files, including the DAZ Core Files, have a different, additional main folder which is stripped out when using DIM. Otherwise, manual installation would require decompressing the file into a temporary folder then moving the content into their appropriate folders.

And BTW, there is no such figure as Genesis 1, just referring to Genesis is enough to get the point across.

Now I am really confused as the main portion of this thread has been addressing the need for a "!DAZ" file to be installed in the main Poser runtime located in its main Program File and then duplicating it in another runtime - see screen caps above created by Kazam561. Am I following this thread correctly or is it only the V4 morphs that get put in that area and all other characters go into wherever ones chosen Content is located - such as mine on my F drive? If so do all morph files get installed in this folder also or is it only for V4? BTW I am using Windows 7 Pro and have all my program files installed on drive "E" as "C" is a small solid state drive used for the Windows install only...

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2015 at 6:29 PM

Also if you are using both Daz Studio and Poser you need to install both installers in the suggested runtime.

For Poser and V4 (and some earlier V and other figures by Daz versions) the morphs are what you find in a folder called !DAZ. Poser can run things from external runtimes. I actually have all my Daz V4 package morphs (and other characters base Daz installs) in my copy of Poser 8. I'm running Poser Pro 2014 and have imported that Runtime as an external runtime. I can run either the character and base morphs with Poser 8 or PP2014 (not at the same time). On many character files (purchased here or there, or elsewhere) I've got another folder just for V4. With earlier versions of Poser Daz had advised storing the base product line packages (original character and the Daz created morph package) in the main runtime. As Poser progressed in versions it became able to run external runtimes across multiple drives. Mind you it can slow Poser down a bit but not too horrible if you are running a relatively modern PC.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2015 at 6:36 PM

Borgtrekker12 posted at 6:30PM Wed, 23 September 2015 - #4230371

hborre posted at 12:47PM Wed, 23 September 2015 - #4230282

Now I am really confused as the main portion of this thread has been addressing the need for a "!DAZ" file to be installed in the main Poser runtime located in its main Program File and then duplicating it in another runtime - see screen caps above created by Kazam561. Am I following this thread correctly or is it only the V4 morphs that get put in that area and all other characters go into wherever ones chosen Content is located - such as mine on my F drive? If so do all morph files get installed in this folder also or is it only for V4? BTW I am using Windows 7 Pro and have all my program files installed on drive "E" as "C" is a small solid state drive used for the Windows install only...

Generally Daz advised original early generation and Gen 4 (M4, V4, David, Freak4, Aiko4) be installed in your main runtime. If you have a more recent version of poser you can install it in an external. If you have an earlier version of Poser you can just add the installed runtime (that already has the install). If that sounds confusing, sorry about my wording here....

Wherever you install the base morphs (runtime wise) you should use to load your Daz character from... for instance, as I mentioned I have an older version of poser with the Daz Gen 4 characters install. When I load them, I load them specifically from that runtime, unless I've saved a previously saved scene (that used them) elsewhere, in which case I reopen the scene.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2015 at 6:44 PM

By the way, sorry, am a bit tired, on my confusing answer. In that specific !DAZ folder, you'll find the ERC, the channels, and GRP all with bend morphs for each Gen 4 figure. So when you go to your character library to load the character Poser looks first for the figure geometry, then the info from the !DAZ folder, and then textures and or materials. More morphs can be added through the poses file... Not the best explanation, but a basic one. :)

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2015 at 6:45 PM

I reviewed the posts in this thread and there is quite a bit of misinformation. Any DAZ Generation 4 figure and morph packages associated with the figure must be installed into the same runtime. Otherwise, morphs will not work correctly or might not work at all. You can either use the Proser Pro 2014 Content folder or create your own external folder and link it to the Library. It is not true that Generation 4 figures must be installed into the Poser folder. Not true at all. This rumor has been dispelled a long time ago. My original V4 was installed into Poser 7 and that runtime has been linked to other iterations of Poser. Right now, it is linked to my PoserPro 2014. No reinstallation, no movement of files. Don't worry about that !DAZ folder, no need to duplicate or relocate it. It is found within your zipped content folder and it will accompany the other folders when you install. Let me know if you need further clarification.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2015 at 7:15 PM ยท edited Wed, 23 September 2015 at 7:18 PM

hborre posted at 7:09PM Wed, 23 September 2015 - #4230410

I reviewed the posts in this thread and there is quite a bit of misinformation. Any DAZ Generation 4 figure and morph packages associated with the figure must be installed into the same runtime. Otherwise, morphs will not work correctly or might not work at all. You can either use the Proser Pro 2014 Content folder or create your own external folder and link it to the Library. It is not true that Generation 4 figures must be installed into the Poser folder. Not true at all. This rumor has been dispelled a long time ago. My original V4 was installed into Poser 7 and that runtime has been linked to other iterations of Poser. Right now, it is linked to my PoserPro 2014. No reinstallation, no movement of files. Don't worry about that !DAZ folder, no need to duplicate or relocate it. It is found within your zipped content folder and it will accompany the other folders when you install. Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thank you. I did actually said this statement in a really badly worded manner and example. Posting while sleepy is always bad :) Sadly I used the word "Generally" but I did repeatedly point out my own examples of running external runtimes with them. I apologize for any errors due to poor wording, examples, or lack of sleep.

This part

"It is not true that Generation 4 figures must be installed into the Poser folder. Not true at all. This rumor has been dispelled a long time ago."

while it has changed, the original install instructions (according to Daz) did actually say this... I can dig up a very old installer and provide a screen cap if needed. Realize Gen 4 items were available for purchase before Poser 7. I want to say Poser 5 or 6. This can be ignored.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2015 at 8:02 PM

This statement is true, but unfortunately with the introduction of Vista and UAC controlling Program Files access, the original concept changed; so as Poser by creating a content runtime exclusively for content well away from UAC interference. AFAIK, DAZ hasn't changed their webpage concerning installation in a very, very long time. There are many threads of individuals pulling their hair out when Vista and Win 7 started disrupting Poser everywhere.

Borgtrekker12 ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2015 at 2:48 AM

Kazam561 posted at 12:23AM Fri, 25 September 2015 - #4230401

Also if you are using both Daz Studio and Poser you need to install both installers in the suggested runtime.

For Poser and V4 (and some earlier V and other figures by Daz versions) the morphs are what you find in a folder called !DAZ. Poser can run things from external runtimes. I actually have all my Daz V4 package morphs (and other characters base Daz installs) in my copy of Poser 8. I'm running Poser Pro 2014 and have imported that Runtime as an external runtime. I can run either the character and base morphs with Poser 8 or PP2014 (not at the same time). On many character files (purchased here or there, or elsewhere) I've got another folder just for V4. With earlier versions of Poser Daz had advised storing the base product line packages (original character and the Daz created morph package) in the main runtime. As Poser progressed in versions it became able to run external runtimes across multiple drives. Mind you it can slow Poser down a bit but not too horrible if you are running a relatively modern PC.

Thanks for your response.
So let me see if I am following your lead here. Since my runtimes are located on a separate drive "F" from my original Poser install on "E" the only files that need to go in the "!DAZ" folder, located @ E:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser Pro 2014/Runtime are the V4 morph files and they get copied to the external runtime also. Do they need a folder called !DAZ also and do all the other characters go into my external runtime? What about Aiko 3 files? Since they are older do any of hers go into the !DAZ folder on "E"? I don't understand why this is so difficult for me to follow and why there are no clear instructions in Poser about this...

BTW I do own a fairly powerful computer that my friend just built me that has an I7 Zeon processor with 12 GB of ram and a Radeon R9-200 4 GB video card running on Windows 7-64 Pro. Therefore I do hope this is a good configuration for both DAZ & Poser Pro 2014. Now getting back to the question at hand I am also unclear as to where I need to install the Genesis & Gen2 files. Do you recommend a separate runtime for them and what about the CF files do they need to be in a separate runtime? If not where do they go and does the DAZ DSON file get installed in the "E" drive runtime? Thanks ahead of time for all your help on this. I am recently retired and looking forward to making this my full time hobby & really do appreciate you helping out this Poser newbie...

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2015 at 8:03 AM

I am going to clarify the first paragraph, everything V4 will go into the external runtime on your "F" drive, do not duplicate any files and divide them between two runtimes. That will only confuse Poser when it conducts searches for associated files and textures. Do not create anything because those files are already present in your zipped. Just install the zipped runtime into it's final destination, or better yet, create a new folder called V4 or Victoria 4 and dump the runtime and other folders at the same level into it. Link the new folder to the Poser Library and you are ready to go. I suggest getting this working first before we proceed to the Genesis/Genesis 2 figures. There is a different procedure for those figures.

And, BTW, only work with the Poser related files first; ATM DAZStudio can wait.

Borgtrekker12 ( ) posted Fri, 02 October 2015 at 5:52 PM

hborre posted at 2:29PM Fri, 02 October 2015 - #4230661

I am going to clarify the first paragraph, everything V4 will go into the external runtime on your "F" drive, do not duplicate any files and divide them between two runtimes. That will only confuse Poser when it conducts searches for associated files and textures. Do not create anything because those files are already present in your zipped. Just install the zipped runtime into it's final destination, or better yet, create a new folder called V4 or Victoria 4 and dump the runtime and other folders at the same level into it. Link the new folder to the Poser Library and you are ready to go. I suggest getting this working first before we proceed to the Genesis/Genesis 2 figures. There is a different procedure for those figures.

And, BTW, only work with the Poser related files first; ATM DAZStudio can wait.

Thanks for the clarification. The Series 4 runtimes are installed, linked, and appear to be working. I have tested some of the series 4 characters - Victoria, The Girl, & Stephanie, and all have loaded without problems from the main files that I installed into my separate runtime - !DAZ Files For Poser.
So I guess I am ready for the next step being the Genesis & Gen 2 files. I have installed them into their own placeholder folder for now and within that folder are the folders for both the main files and their companion files. Within those folders are their runtimes. I did this so I would not get them mixed up but do not know where to install them in Poser. Do both sets of these files get put into Poser and if so where? Should those CF files be put into their own runtime? Note: all of my DAZ files were installed using the DAZ Install Manager, however I have not had DIM either download or install any of the DAZ CF Files. Those files I have just hidden in the download list and their are over 600 CF files in all... However I have no intention of using all of these files in Poser only those that I absolutely need to achieve my renders and allow me to use for my Poser content from Renderosity & RTDNA made for these DAZ Figures. BTW how do I know if these 2 vendors content made for V4 will work with other series 4 characters or not? Is it just rial and error?

Thanks.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 02 October 2015 at 9:46 PM

I will answer the last question first. Content specifically created for V4 should fit any of her other morphs like Stephanie 4, The Girl 4, etc unless otherwise noted on the webpage. And even if these morphs do not exist, you can transfer morphs to content from within PP2014.

Genesis/Genesis 2 are quite different; their mesh is low res and designed to be morphed into many different characters and creatures. And their UVs can be interchanged to accept many textures from the morph iterations. However, installation is tricky and can become problematic if installs are incorrect. Before you begin, you need to install the DSON importer into your main Poser folder. This app will bring Genesis/Genesis 2 into Poser. Next, you will need to install both Poser CF and DAZ CF and link both to your PP2014 Library. The reason for both file types to be linked to Poser, DSON calls on the DAZ content for Poser importation. If these files are not available, you will get an empty scene. Some individuals create 2 separate content folders, one for Poser runtime and another for DAZ content. Others place both type of files into one content folder and just link that to the Poser Library.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_installation_requirements/tutorials/dson_installation/start

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_importer_usage/tutorials/using_dson_importer/start

The above links give an overview on how to install and use DSON Importer. I would suggest that you put off using Genesis/Genesis 2 for the meantime and concentrate on the Generation 4 figures just to learn the software. Getting involved with Genesis/Genesis 2 too early will lead to frustration.

Borgtrekker12 ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2015 at 8:46 PM

Concentrating on using the series 4 products only for now what do I do with the CF files that come with V4, etc? Do they get installed in both DAZ and Poser? If so do I install them in the same runtime as used for the installed series 4 characters? Sorry for so many questions I am just having difficulty understanding where all this content needs to go and from what I can see in the forums there really aren't many places to go for tutorials on installing this stuff... If so please point me to those location(s) and I will try to take it from there. Also one thing I may have missed is do I install both sets of files or just the CF files in Poser? Do I need to link my installed DAZ files to Poser and do i need to go back and install all those CF files in DAZ also? If so what are the DAZ CF files used for in DAZ 3D? Whenever DIM installed them before in DAZ they always showed up as a file with a big Yellow (!) Exclamation Point... Therefore I uninstalled them and then hid the download files in DIM.

Thanks for your help on this so far.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2015 at 10:02 PM

DAZ CF should go into My DAZ 3D Library or where your DAZ content is located as you have created it. I know DIM recommends the latter, use that as long as it is not located within Program Files. Only Poser CF go into Poser established runtimes. Keep the app specific core files separate. Once the compressed files are installed into their respective program folders, link the DAZ content folder to Poser and Poser content folder(s) to DAZStudio, just in case you intend to use the DAZStudio app. Don't attempt to duplicate installations in different locations, this will confuse the apps when they search for associated files with loading figures and props. If you only intend to use Poser ATM, just install Poser related files (Poser CF) to Poser and ignore DAZ. Genesis/Genesis 2 are exceptions, you need both DAZ and Poser files for the props and figures to work properly in Poser. That is why I suggest installing and linking as above to prevent problems later when you graduate to Genesis/Genesis 2.

Borgtrekker12 ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2015 at 12:31 AM

hborre posted at 10:25PM Sun, 04 October 2015 - #4232292

DAZ CF should go into My DAZ 3D Library or where your DAZ content is located as you have created it. I know DIM recommends the latter, use that as long as it is not located within Program Files. Only Poser CF go into Poser established runtimes. Keep the app specific core files separate. Once the compressed files are installed into their respective program folders, link the DAZ content folder to Poser and Poser content folder(s) to DAZStudio, just in case you intend to use the DAZStudio app. Don't attempt to duplicate installations in different locations, this will confuse the apps when they search for associated files with loading figures and props. If you only intend to use Poser ATM, just install Poser related files (Poser CF) to Poser and ignore DAZ. Genesis/Genesis 2 are exceptions, you need both DAZ and Poser files for the props and figures to work properly in Poser. That is why I suggest installing and linking as above to prevent problems later when you graduate to Genesis/Genesis 2.

Are all DAZ CF files for DAZ only and if so how do I tell which ones need to be installed in Poser? In other words how do I tell a Poser CF file from a DAZ CF file or do those files only come from sources purchased other than DAZ such as Renderosity and other vendors? If they do come from DAZ should I make an adjustment in DIM to receive those CF files also? If so what is the process?

Thanks again.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2015 at 8:03 AM

DAZ CF are exclusive to DAZStudio, as Poser CF are exclusive to Poser. If you purchase from DAZ3D and the content is compatible with both DAZStudio and Poser, you will see compressed files labeled in the format illustrated below:

image.png

Within the DAZ zip, within the Content folder, you will see this structure:

image.png

Within the Poser zip folder, you will see this:

image.png

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2015 at 8:12 AM ยท edited Mon, 05 October 2015 at 8:14 AM

The zip setup and naming from DAZ3D is exclusively designed for DIM, and only DIM will automatically install content properly into DAZStudio and Poser. Manual installation is fine also provided that you know exactly what you are doing and familiar with the folder hierarchy structures for both programs. You cannot install Renderosity, RuntimeDNA, etc zipped files dedicated for DAZStudio using DIM; usually vendors will provide written instructions in a text file on manual copying folders and files to their final destination.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2015 at 8:23 AM

For my DIM, I display everything that I have specified in my Download Filters.

image.png

Check everything that is pertinent to what you own:

image.png

And click Accept

Borgtrekker12 ( ) posted Thu, 08 October 2015 at 11:02 PM

hborre posted at 8:42PM Thu, 08 October 2015 - #4232324

The zip setup and naming from DAZ3D is exclusively designed for DIM, and only DIM will automatically install content properly into DAZStudio and Poser. Manual installation is fine also provided that you know exactly what you are doing and familiar with the folder hierarchy structures for both programs. You cannot install Renderosity, RuntimeDNA, etc zipped files dedicated for DAZStudio using DIM; usually vendors will provide written instructions in a text file on manual copying folders and files to their final destination.

Your assistance has been most helpful and is much appreciated... However I am still unclear about the CF & now Ps files I am seeing in install manager. Per your recommendation I included in DIM both of the listed Poser programs and now I have over 350 .Ps files listed to be downloaded and installed. I presume these files need to be installed only in Poser. If so where the Download folder or do you suggest a separate runtime folder? Do they require any base folders to be installed also? For example a file named "Aiko 4 Base PoserCF" is now listed in this group and is the only item listed as a PoserCF file. Do I need to install both this and the main Aiko 4 installer file or just this PoserCF file? All the remaining are just .Ps files & the DSON Importer for Poser 64 bit. Does the DSON Importer get installed in the original Poser runtime that installed all the original Poser files or does it get installed elsewhere? Also if you can respond to my prior question about the DAZ CF files... What are they for and do they need to be installed.

Thanks.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 6:57 AM

DSCF are only for DAZStudio; if you also intend to use DAZStudio, then the DAZ CF should be installed into the DAZ content folder.

Ps files are designated for Poser and should be installed into Poser runtime folders. Many others and I do not install Poser content into the Download folder, it can cause runtime bloat and subsequently slow down your app to a crawl. It is adviceable to create several separate runtimes simply to organize your content and to easily find items within your Poser Library.

Any PoserCF which also requires a base file should be installed into the same Poser runtime. There are files necessary for complete functionality and without the presence of these files within the same runtime folder(s) you will not be able to use the characters properly. BTW, the Aiko 4 Base files must be installed along with the Victoria 4 into the same folders; she is a morph of V4 and not a separate figure like the DAZ generation 3 figures.

DSON Importer is a script and must be installed into the main Poser folder. That is the folder that exists within Program Files. Now, if you intend to use Genesis/Genesis 2 then you must install the DSON Importer. This is the only way you can load them into Poser. ATM, I would advice you not to install DSON yet until you grasp the fundamentals of installing, loading and using figures within Poser. Genesis/Genesis 2 require a very different approach and I think that your skill set is not ready for this yet.

If you need more information about DAZ files listed in your DIM, click on the information icon located next to file name and a product webpage will open. This page will contain information and guidelines. This is illustrated below:

image.png

Borgtrekker12 ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 4:43 PM

Thank you hborre for all you help on this.
I am pleased to know that I don't have to use the DSON installer for files other than Genesis & Genesis2...
Your explanations and examples are most helpful as i am beginning to understand now the way Poser will work with these DAZ files. As for the .Ps files it looks like I need to decide which ones to install in Poser - since there are so many. From looking at the list in DIM most appear to be props, hair & scene files. Therefore whenever I choose to install one of these files do I need to locate and install the corresponding base files also or are the base files needed only for the characters? If the base files are required how do I tell when they are and when they are not needed? For example I am a huge Sci-Fi fan and have purchased most of the GIS Link product scene - texture files and would like to use them in Poser. Since the base files are all installed in DAZ do those same base files along with the .Ps files get installed in Poser or just the .Ps files? If so I gather maybe the best way to do it is to locate the products I want to install from my DAZ purchases for GIS Link in this example and directly download both sets of files directly onto my computer, unzip them, and install them into Poser or is there a better and cleaner way to do this since the only files showing in DIM are the remaining .Ps files??

Thanks again.

Borgtrekker12 ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 4:46 PM

By the way I did not delete any of the DAZ installers and all those files are saved on an external hard drive...

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 6:13 PM

The Poser files will be specifically labeled for Poser and no other app. Do not install DAZ files into Poser runtimes, not necessary. For scenes and props, you usually will not find a base zip, maybe a legacy file which the label will indicate where it belongs.

Nowadays, the best way to install Poser related DAZ content is through DIM.

First, go to your DIM settings, Installation Tab and add your content runtime by clicking the + icon on the lower left, as illustrated.

image.png

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.