Sun, Oct 6, 9:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 2:10 pm)

Subject: How can i install DS content?

Darkworld ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 12:34 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:19 AM

Installed 4.8, and the app works great. but DAZ install manager can't successfully install anything- sure i get the icons for G3, G2 etc, but double click and it says i am missing all the files. it says the folder should be /data/DAZ 3D/etc etc. I've tried moving the data folder around everywhere and it still says missing files no matter what; and won't load any figures.

How do i install G3?

bugs.jpg

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 12:59 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Are you by any chance running Windows 10? Because Windows 10 by default installs things like that on your OneDrive (a cloud storage device linked to your MS account. If so then you have to go into your settings where you change your defaults and tell it to start storing things locally.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Darkworld ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:15 PM · edited Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:16 PM

No the data folders are on my hard drive. I've moved them around but I'm not sure what the root folder should be. Is it DAZ 3D/data or is it DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/data?

Mainly I need to know WHERE it wants this stuff to be since auto installer (which points to DAZ3D folder) is fail.

I miss the old DAZ manual installers lol. If cloud storage was the issue it would do the same for poser.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:16 PM

My question too, what OS are you using?

Darkworld ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:17 PM

It's Windows 10. But I can see the path DAZ installer is installing to, and I can see all the files it's asking for in those folders.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:20 PM

The default location is users/public/public documents/My DAZ 3D Library/data

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:22 PM

NOTE: the root is that list minus the "data", that's where those missing data files were supposed to go. On a windows 10 machine you would have to go the the c:/ not documents to see it.

Darkworld ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:22 PM

bugs2.jpg

Darkworld ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:28 PM

Well i got further now, it's in the correct folder... but can't find RyJeane_lashes1006.jpg. guess that is default lashes for G3?

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:30 PM

That's what is supposed to be in your data folder, but I'm not seeing the "My DAZ 3D Library" in that string. You might want to do a search for that folder, that's where it should be expecting those files.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:32 PM

Hang on, let me go see where the library set up is in DAZ. I'm on my laptop so it could take a little while.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:41 PM

OK, on the edit/preferences tab look for the "Content Libraries" tab and open it. What you want to get to is this screen it shows you exactly where it is trying to find your content.

Libraries.PNG

Darkworld ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:42 PM

I got G2 to work, but not G3 lol, it still won't put the textures in the correct spot. I'm deleting EVERYTHING and starting over =P

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:52 PM

Your DIM installation setting is located in that little gear in the upper right hand corner of DIM. You want that folder to match what is in the DAZ program screen as above (the second line in my case, I have an older installation).

DM Setting.PNG

Darkworld ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:55 PM · edited Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:55 PM

I can load G3 now but not lights lol. love it. i changed those folders to be correct, in the example you posted, but it still wants to find the lights in some obscure poser runtime folder for some reason, and refuses to look at where they actually are, which is in that folder where they should be.

and my DIM is exactly that folder. for some reason DS lights are chasing a poser folder

Darkworld ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 1:58 PM

This is what happens when i try to load a light. and these are the current folder setup. bugs2.jpg

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 2:04 PM

That sounds like a file calling for a resource with an absolute path rather than a relative one. Were you just trying to add a new light to a scene, or clicking on a script? The current version of DAZ will never look for any content under the Program Files directory. Badly written scripts of course will do anything they danged well please.

Darkworld ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 2:26 PM

i literally just installed DS4.8, installed the lights pack, and G3. that's the sum total of what i have installed. the error happens when i double click one of these guys bugs2.jpg

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 2:42 PM

Weird. Those little yellow triangles with the exclamation points are telling you the content is not where it expects. I don't see those names as choices under my set up though. That pane says there are 22 files, do the rest of them have the yellow triangle?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 2:50 PM

It thinks the file is installed to the Poser application folder. That isn't a hard-coded path from the content or it wouldn't work for anyone, but by the number of items missing icons and with an exclamation mark in your screenshot DS still thinks al lot of files are installed there from a previous attempt when you presumably did have that as your destination (in 4.8 the database is always using absolute paths). You need to reinstall the Default Lights and Shaders using the correct path, as in your DIM screenshot, and make sure they are working, then you can tidy up the orphan references by using the Content DB Maintenance command in the Content Library pane's option menu - the lined button in the top corner, or right-click the tab.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 2:58 PM

The database always uses absolute paths? shudder Did I mention I don't use smart content? I don't think I am ever going to become a fan of it. So the database isn't finding the script file, not the script can't find the resources. Which makes sense, I see a lot of those little yellow triangles because I moved the files where I wanted them. I don't have anything against databases in general, I use them all the time, but I really like to know where my content is.

Darkworld ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 3:16 PM

that's techincally what i did... so should i uninstall the lights now? then reinstall? The poser path confuses me as i can't find instructions to send it to poser anywhere. not in my DIM, and not in DS.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2015 at 4:14 PM

The path to Poser as Richard explained was left over in the database from the first time you installed. I can't help you much there, as I manually manipulate file locations of my files and load them through the content manager rather than smart content. I would de-install the lights using the Download manager, then re-install them. That should clear the erroneous database entries in the metadata. You shouldn't need to reinstall anything else, your program set-up is fine at this point.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2015 at 3:57 PM

If you know where the files are (which content directory they are in) then find the Default Lights and Shaders in the Content Library pane's product listing, right-click on one of the files, and click Database>Edit Base Paths, then in the dialogue set the Change option to All Files Using This Path (if you've moved everything to the same location - if not select all the files in the product folder before right-clicking and leave the Change option at Selected Files), then for Change To pick the right content directory.

Connect, in the 4.9 beta, does use relative paths only so if you use that when it goes live (or in the beta) this should not need doing in future if you move the content to a different content directory.

prinzeugen12 ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 3:34 PM · edited Fri, 27 November 2015 at 3:35 PM

I am new to Daz. Old poser guy. Anyways I have Daz 4.8 on a windows 7 machine.. The download manager works just fine for any content purchased at Daz.. My problem is third party content . I have always unzipped content in my download file then used Daz 4.8 windows/content library/ Daz studio formats/ right mouse click- add new base Directory.. this adds the content but it doent always work.. Id say around 50% of the time there is no trouble For the content that doent work . I get a brief window that I cannot read when I click the new content in content library but nothing happens.

LPR001 ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 5:51 PM

@prinzeugen12 The DIM installer works for the content from the Daz store. Products you buy from here or elsewhere outside of Daz can be a bit of a drama even for long time users like me LOL. The quick flash you are getting suggests that it was unable to load the file and more than likely it is trying to load something incompatible. ie. You try to load a Victoria 4 skin on a Genesis 2. Some scripts may load very quick but if you get the flash and nothing happens check you are trying to apply the product to the correct character it was designed for. Also you are applying the Daz file not the Poser support files.

- Johnny G

"Try animation to get things moving"

lpr001@renderosity.com

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2015 at 2:10 PM

What format are the problem files - DAZ Studio, Poser or other? Is the file you are trying to load in a Data folder? Try Help>Troubleshooting>View Log and scroll to the end - if there was an error it should be there.

prinzeugen12 ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2015 at 9:02 PM

I contacted the content creator, He said that trying to load the way I am is not work I should unzip the entire content to Daz studio library .library folder should have data,people,runtime ect... I dont know how to do this .. What should the path be to do this on a windows machine with Daz on C drive ? these are Daz studio files

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2015 at 3:36 PM

Where are you content directories? The defaults on Windows are My Daz 3D Library in the Public Documents folder (used by the Daz Install Manager) and Daz 3DStudioMy Library in your Documents folder (used by DS as the default save location). So you would open the zip and dig down through the folders until you saw one or all of the Data, People or Runtime folders. Then you would highlight everything there (the Data folder, the Runtime folder and so on) and drag it to Daz 3DStudioMy Library where you would drop it, then say Yes when Windows asks if you want to merge the new folder with the existing folder. That should then place the files in the Content Library pane under DAZ Studio FormatsMy Librarysome folder or Poser FormatsMy Librarysome librarysome folder (depending on the format of the files).

prinzeugen12 ( ) posted Thu, 17 December 2015 at 8:52 AM

thank you,, I have been looking in the wrong place.. Got it now....

drifterlee ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2016 at 4:53 PM

I had the same problem. I had to make sure I had all the genesis stuff installed all the way back to the original genesis base - the starter packs and sll of them up to V7. Now it works.

drifterlee ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2016 at 4:56 PM

Can anyone point me to a tutorial explaining Daz Studio 4.8. I am a long time Poser user and I am confused. The content seems to be all over the place. Where are the characters MATS, why can't I use more than one character in a scene? That seems so stupid. And on and on. Thanks in advance. Sherrie (drifterlee)

Razor42 ( ) posted Thu, 14 January 2016 at 2:44 AM · edited Thu, 14 January 2016 at 2:44 AM

You can use as many characters in a scene as your memory permits. If you have a genesis character selected when you attempt to load a new character it will ask if you want to apply the character to the existing figure or load a new one to the scene.

Mats are generally stored with the main figure for example: /People/Genesis 3 Female/Materials.....

In the main folder you will also find folder for Anatomy Clothing Hair Characters etc

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 14 January 2016 at 7:53 AM

Go to youtube. There are many DAZStudio tutorials already posted there; great way to get a visual introduction to the software.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.