Fri, Sep 20, 1:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Poser 11 Physical Surface

chris1972 ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 12:43 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:16 PM

I must be getting old and stupid, I have researched the web, but the answer alludes me. Where within the Poser 11 Physical surface root node does one account for ambient occlusion

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 5:23 AM

Hello Chris,

Why would you like to add an AO to the PhysicalSurface? It does not need AO.

AO is an ol style cheat from the period before IDL+GC. (in fact, when rendering with IDL, AO is ignored) And SuperFly is a true PBR render engine, does all light calculations inside, and does not need nor uses AO at all.

chris1972 ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 9:34 AM

Thanks for the reply, I purchased recently Algorithmic Live and from everything I have read when using IDL, AO becomes ever more important, I'm getting old and having trouble keeping up with the constant changes

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 9:50 AM

Hi Chris

In Poser10 and PP2014 => When rendering with IDL, all AO nodes on light are ignored, because the ambient occusion is calculated inside the IDL calculations.

In Poser 10 and PP2014 => Rendering WIHOUT IDL? => Then you need the AO node on the lights.

For PBR render engines (like SuperFly) all ambient occulsion calculations are done inide. => That is why there is not a slot to load an AO node.

Best regards, Tony

chris1972 ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 9:55 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the info

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 10:03 AM

In case you refer to the AO slot in the FireFly root node used with IDL for light transmitter. There is a emission node for that in PBR.

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 10:27 AM

i meaned the ambient slot.. pressed return without reading my post;)

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 3:44 PM

Ah, no.

=> Ambient occlusion is diffusing existing incoming light back into the scene.

=> The Ambient node "adds" light. => That are 2 completely different things.

Say, I have a light that shines on an object. The object absorbs some of the light and diffuses the rest back into the scene. => That is ambient occlusion when 2 objects are close together.

The ambient node "adds" light and can be used to make TV- or Computer sreens emit "new" light. Or to make Neon lights emit new light.

2 completely different things.

But : Read this : If you have a nonsensical material, such as using the old AO node, Superfly will ignore that node when it renders; after all, Superfly inherently takes AO into account, so using the old Firefly cheat doesn't make sense.

ironsoul ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2015 at 2:26 AM · edited Sat, 28 November 2015 at 2:27 AM

Hello Chris

Algorithmic do use AO but as an input to their smart material generator and is baked into the materials when exported.

For a new project I load the obj and then select the bake function which will generate the AO map for me. The smart materials will automatically pick up the map.

BTW - Christophe Desse's channel on Youtube is worth a visit if you're interested in seeing practical demos of using Substance Painter/Designer.

chaecuna ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2015 at 2:30 AM

chris1972 posted at 9:29AM Sat, 28 November 2015 - #4241187

Thanks for the reply, I purchased recently Algorithmic Live and from everything I have read when using IDL, AO becomes ever more important, I'm getting old and having trouble keeping up with the constant changes

Important when you are baking textures not when you are rendering with an engine that does global illumination and not just fakes it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.