Sat, Sep 21, 9:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:40 pm)

Subject: Help needed - blue screen of death issues

Batsarse ( ) posted Tue, 01 December 2015 at 6:44 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:35 PM

I have a problem with my Poser 9 and I need some help. As the thread title says, I had a blue screen of death today and it seems to have corrupted Poser. My setup is Windows 7, fully updated with all the latest releases, and I'm using Mozilla Firefox as a web browser. I had some issues with my NVIDIA graphics card today and, while using Poser 9, a BSOD occurred, the PC rebooted itself and, when I started Poser again, my libraries were gone and I don't know how to get them back.

I've got Service Release 3.2 installed with Poser so that's as up to date as I think it can be, so is there any fix for this problem short of reinstalling Poser and then laboriously reinstalling all the content again?

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 01 December 2015 at 7:05 AM

Could be your graphic card. Have you contacted Nvida about this issue? Also you might want to check your hard drive and back up your files. Sounds like a hardware problem is imminent. And also check your motherboard too.

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

Jules53757 ( ) posted Tue, 01 December 2015 at 7:19 AM

Usually, when Poser starts witout content, you should be able to add all your libraries with the plus on the library window. An other way would be to go to C:UsersYour NameAppDataRoamingPoser Pro , may be Poser 9, and check for older LibraryPrefs.xml in the folders, created when you updated Poser, copy that file to your Poser 9 fodler and restart Poser. The libraries should be there again.

Ulli

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

putrdude ( ) posted Tue, 01 December 2015 at 12:27 PM

If you got a BSOD and poser stopped finding your libraries, try checking your hard drives first. Make sure the BSOD didn't corrupt a directory or files. BSOD usually indicates where the problem is. You can search online for the error it shows.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Tue, 01 December 2015 at 1:19 PM

On the graphic card driver you might want to consider rolling the driver back to a previous version via the device manager graphic card properties.. Also check your Windows Event Viewer logs for error messages. It's located in your control panel, under administrative tools. You'll want to look at specifically Windows Logs/Application to read the error. The others set of logs would be Windows Logs/System. Look for the Red marked errors.

It's also possible Poser lost the link to your personal preferences. If you are missing UI interface dots you had saved then it's going to be the app data.

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

bhoins ( ) posted Tue, 01 December 2015 at 4:31 PM

BSOD is usually a hardware issue. The usual culprits are CPU, RAM or Video Card. In the case of rendering the culprit is usually heat. (Especially with GPU or CPU/GPU rendering.)

Kazam561 ( ) posted Tue, 01 December 2015 at 4:56 PM

Could be a heat issue, or a memory module stick gone bad depending on the BSOD message. If it's heat, it could be an easy fix like blowing out the dust from your machine (while it's off and unplugged) with compressed air. Also pc placement. Some desks are horrible for air flow. I saw one where you lowered the pc into it which made accessing the plugs and everything in the back a nightmare. The monitor sat on top of this design and the person had probably one of the largest flat panel monitor's I'd seen at the time. Took two of us to move the monitor to open the U shape the pc sat inside of. Even then two people needed to lift the pc out (one from the bottom of the desk pushing up the other lifting from the top). While the desk looked fantastic, it bad for large gaming sized rigs.

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

jura11 ( ) posted Tue, 01 December 2015 at 5:04 PM

Hi there

I don't think you need to reinstall Poser or Windows,BSOD usually are down to HW changes or some SW changes,at first I would install older drivers for NVIDIA,some newer drivers from NVIDIA causing me lately lots of problems in OpenGL apps and mainly in CUDA apps like is IRAY or FurryBall RT,V-RAY RT where those drivers are so unstable and causing only headache,I'm now using older NVIDIA 353.62 drivers which seems are best for me,I've got too R9 290 which I removed due I wanted to be sure,those issues is not causing my second AMD GPU and those issues hasn't been caused by AMD...I tested AMD R9 290 in 3DS MAX where same scene takes from my VRAM only 1.2GB and on Titan X same scene takes 6GB,in 3DS viewport older R9 290 seems is better and my FPS never drops and viewport performance is much better

I would recommend go to the Event Viewer which you can find under: Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer and there check under Windows Logs,applications and System and all other bits,I would suspect this has caused NVIDIA driver

In the Mozilla and Chrome please disable HW acceleration,this can cause some issues,if you have this enabled,please turn off this for time being

And regarding the you are lost yours Libraries,I would type this %appdata% to search or you can check please go to the Users (yours name) AppData/Roaming and PoserPro and there should be yours backup Library and preferences,if you can find this,please check under Folder Options in Control Panel if "Show hidden files,folders,or drives" is checked

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Morkonan ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2015 at 1:05 AM

It sounds like Poser lost the library references. That's no problem. Do this: https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/portal/articles/1982174-solving-weird-issues-with-poser-by-removing-the-preferences

Deleting the pref files will force Poser to recreate factory-default prefs when it next runs. You'll just have to set your preferences back up, but this should fix the issue. If Poser is able to run, your libraries are not "gone", Poser just whacked up its somewhat dynamic prefs.

IF, however, all of your content is truly gone, after you have searched for it on your disk, then you have bigger problems than Poser getting borked up and you should immediately start backing up what you can from that hard-drive, since it's about to bite the dust. :) (Very low probability that this is actually the case, by the way.)

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2015 at 6:00 AM

I had BSoD issues too. I think your runtimes are still there, you just cannot access them with Poser. Maybe your issue is the same as mine has been. The reason for my BSoD was an automatic IE update, or maybe an Adobe Air update or both, without having updated my windows. So it is nessecary to let win7 perform an automatic update too. After all this was done, a complete un/reinstall of Poser was required.

Morkonan ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2015 at 10:10 PM

-Timberwolf- posted at 10:09PM Fri, 04 December 2015 - #4242437

I had BSoD issues too. I think your runtimes are still there, you just cannot access them with Poser. Maybe your issue is the same as mine has been. The reason for my BSoD was an automatic IE update, or maybe an Adobe Air update or both, without having updated my windows. So it is nessecary to let win7 perform an automatic update too. After all this was done, a complete un/reinstall of Poser was required.

You could have probably gotten around a complete reinstall by just reinstalling the patches. However, I don't run IE and do not update Adobe Air, on purpose, so I haven't had this issue. At least, I haven't had it since the first time I had it, which caused me to swear to never have it again... :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.