Tue, Oct 8, 11:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 8:23 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: The dark side of the free stuff section.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Tue, 29 December 2015 at 5:04 PM · edited Tue, 08 October 2024 at 9:20 PM

When do the software departments come back?

Now all freestuff goes on a big pile, and you have to open each and every item just to find out it is NOT for the software you use.

Before we had software departments. DS users searched for DS items. Poser users searched for Poser items. We also had figure departments, it was so easy find your stuff.

Now, it is a nightmare.

Coming to look for free stuff for your application is "lost time".

It is just one of the critical site "improvements" that keeps everybody moving away.

Activity dropped to an all time low.

i have not looked at the marketplace yet, but I fear it's about the same mess. Everything thrown together on a pile.

Well, your pile is slinking fast.

Sorry for the hard words, but I am one of the many that removed all his free stuff long time ago, waiting to come back when things improved. But they don't.

happy 2016

chaecuna ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2015 at 4:06 AM

When you have ShareCG there is no need for Rendo free stuff.

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Fri, 01 January 2016 at 10:08 AM

I agree. The Free stuff section's lack of organisation is a nightmare. I don't care what's trending or what's new if I can't use it because it is for software I don't use or a figure I don't own.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 02 January 2016 at 9:11 PM
Forum Moderator

I fully understand your comments and will bring this to the attention of the admins

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sun, 03 January 2016 at 8:24 PM

Whew, happy I dodged this bullet of fixing what ain't broken to make work for a coder....

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2016 at 12:46 PM
Forum Moderator

Hi Bobbystahr I have bought this up to the admins and they are looking into it. Hopefully we will have a solution that will make everyone happy

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 08 January 2016 at 11:50 AM

bobbystahr posted at 11:47AM Fri, 08 January 2016 - #4247088

Whew, happy I dodged this bullet of fixing what ain't broken to make work for a coder....

sure hope so because the current display/searchability is worse than I can recall...went looking for a model and gave up and went to sharecg where they presented a page of what I wanted with the same search word...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2016 at 4:26 PM

Catalog it back as it was before.

By application. By subject.

• Poser

• Figures
      • Alyson
      • Ryan
      • Miki 4
      • Pauline
      • Paul
  • Hair

• hair prop
    • hair figure
    • hair dynamic
  • Shaders/Materials

• FireFly
    • SuperFly -¨Props

And so on.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2016 at 4:26 PM

And my above post is completely messed up. Pffft.

feecozen ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 1:40 PM

Also, please consider noting the compatible OS on the product thumbnails. As a Mac user, I spend a good deal of time multi-clicking through items only to find they're Windows-only. This goes for all Marketplace items, not just Freestuff. Thanks.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Tue, 02 February 2016 at 3:07 PM

"Also, please consider noting the compatible OS on the product thumbnails. As a Mac user, I spend a good deal of time multi-clicking through items only to find they're Windows-only. This goes for all Marketplace items, not just Freestuff. Thanks."

Except for windows only software, and certain Poser items from poser 4 era, all poser files/.obj/.3ds/.car/ etc models are crosscompatible between mac and windows OS. This is a prehistoric notion that I'm surprised anyone is still baffled by. I'm also a mac user and haven't encountered an OS incompatible file in years, and especially anything made within the past 5 years. 00... are you using Poser 4?

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

feecozen ( ) posted Thu, 04 February 2016 at 12:12 PM

EldritchCellar posted at 1:09PM Thu, 04 February 2016 - #4252768

"Also, please consider noting the compatible OS on the product thumbnails. As a Mac user, I spend a good deal of time multi-clicking through items only to find they're Windows-only. This goes for all Marketplace items, not just Freestuff. Thanks."

Except for windows only software, and certain Poser items from poser 4 era, all poser files/.obj/.3ds/.car/ etc models are crosscompatible between mac and windows OS. This is a prehistoric notion that I'm surprised anyone is still baffled by. I'm also a mac user and haven't encountered an OS incompatible file in years, and especially anything made within the past 5 years. 00... are you using Poser 4?

Although I am in my 60s and have been using Macs, and Poser, since the 1990s, I'm not sure I qualify as "prehistoric" and "baffled." I'm using Poser Pro 2014, BTW.

I did a random search through Marketplace, and while many of the items I checked did specify both Mac and PC compatibility, many others (non-freebies -- $$) listed things like: "This product … has not been tested on a Mac. It should work in Poser on a Mac for all I know." "This product has NOT been tested on a Mac. No Mac support is provided." "This product can be used in Windows OS (from Windows XP to Windows 8.1)"

The products may in fact work on a Mac. My only point was that in most cases you have to read through the "fine print" in items' "Description" section to find out that they may not and will be unsupported if they don't. Putting little Windows or Mac logos on item thumbnails in the Marketplace catalog would just save time -- unless Microsoft and Apple would charge Rendo for that, in which case it wouldn't be worth it. Just a suggestion, that's all.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 04 February 2016 at 5:42 PM · edited Thu, 04 February 2016 at 5:51 PM

Didn't intend the prehistoric comment as aimed at you... rather at vendors who even qualify something with "not tested on a mac". It just further muddies the waters. Poser products have been cross compatible between OSs for years. Every once in a while you'll run into an item, usually a freebie, from long ago, that will require conversion of the included library thumbnail .rsr files into .pngs with a utility such as MacConv. That's about it. ;)

(I'm 50, and have been using Poser since version 3. So I too am somewhat fossilized. Hell I'm still using a PPC G5! Version qualifiers don't impress me considering the things I make with Poser 8 and modo 302 surpass many using Poser Pro yada yada and a state of the art windows Death Star Lol.)

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

feecozen ( ) posted Fri, 05 February 2016 at 11:16 AM

Thanks, EldritchCellar. PPC G5 -- impressive! RSRConv will also convert .rsr to .png and get rid of tumbnail.db files as well. I have found a few freebie .pz2 files specified as Windows-only that reference a displacement .tif for DAZ's Michael 4 that apparently doesn't get installed on Macs (at least not on mine) and will kick off a "please locate [file]" search, but that's a minor irritation that can be worked around. Anyway, you're right, most items will work, albeit with some tweaking occasionally.

Keep up your good work!

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 05 February 2016 at 4:33 PM

Yeah, it's RSRconv. Goes to show you how long it's been... he-he. Great little app though. I don't think you can get it anymore. I was thinking of martinC's old MacConverter. You'll run into alot of old poser content recommending using that. I went on a Sixus1 freebie hunt a few years ago, what a PITA it was converting all those .rsr files. Would you believe my G5 has been running for going on 10 years? Can't browse the web with (flash plug in is way outdated) it but for art making it still chugs along. Anyway, cheers.

feecozen ( ) posted Sat, 06 February 2016 at 12:27 PM

EldritchCellar posted at 1:16PM Sat, 06 February 2016 - #4253439

Would you believe my G5 has been running for going on 10 years?

I believe it. Durability and reliability are among the reasons I use Macs.

As for freebies, I sometimes run across older python scripts that won't work in newer versions of Poser on Macs because they use Tkinter rather than wxpython, even though they were labeled on Rendo (correctly at the time) as running on both PCs and Macs. SmithMicro switched to wxpython in the Mac Poser sometime back because of stability issues. So many variables to be mindful of when rummaging for freebies.... 😄

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2016 at 6:43 PM
Forum Moderator

I agree that we need to organize the freestuff much better so folks can get what they want without the frustration.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.