Mon, Sep 16, 11:56 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Animation

Welcome to the Animation Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Animation F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:02 am)

In here we will dicuss everything that moves.

Characters, motion graphics, props, particles... everything that moves!
Enjoy , create and share :)
Remember to check the FAQ for useful information and resources.

Animation learning and resources:

[Animations]

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: SciFi animation: DogPatch Station

tonyb42 ( ) posted Thu, 18 February 2016 at 1:58 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 4:34 PM

There is also a bit of live action edited in. You may notice that two of the human characters look alike ... this is because I completely forgot to modify the face on the second character. My "explanation" (aside from being daft) is that they are clones. Anyway, this was great fun and I hope you like it. Sets and animation was done in PoserPro2010, live action via monitor camera, editing done in Final Cut Pro

DogPatch Station

ldgilman ( ) posted Thu, 18 February 2016 at 11:56 PM

This is most excellent. enjoyed all except the vocal parts. they were very hard to understand. HAL was a good addition, but hard to hear.

tonyb42 ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2016 at 1:29 AM

Thank you. I agree with you on the audio. I tried out a DIY mini sound booth to record it and it came out very flat. Good learning experience though.

mmoir ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2016 at 6:22 PM

Nice job on this. I am sure this was a lot of work.

dardezen ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2016 at 9:31 PM

That was great. Thank you for sharing it with us. I checked out some of your other videos too.

Do you remember how long it took to do the animation and rendering for Dog Patch Station specifically?

I'd love to know some of the challenges you had to overcome working on the project.

Regards,

dardezen

Digital Artisan

OS X | MODO indie | ZBrush | Unity | Blender | DAZ Studio | PP2014

tonyb42 ( ) posted Mon, 22 February 2016 at 6:42 AM

Thanks everyone. DogPatch took a few weeks to put together, starting with a basic story board to use as a base to make 3D sets. The challenge was to make sets that I could move the camera through without any clipping of the camera or characters. Render times for clips varied depending on how complex the scene/character textures where. Some were rendered in preview mode and cleaned up in post, while some were rendered in Firefly but with very basic settings and without raytracing.

I tried to keep most clips down to between 5 and 7 seconds, and there were a lot of clips that wound up not being used. Using the story board was a good way to keep on track, and if I wanted to try something different in a scene, it made it easy to adjust the story and/or go back to the original plan if things didn't look how I wanted them to.

One challenge in specific was overlaying the screen special Fx and live action footage. There are a few places where there's some bleed through but I think short clips and panning cams almost makes them a bit less distracting.

The sound for the voice overs could be much better as was pointed out earlier. I tried out a DIY sound booth by placing foam core and baffles around my monitor (to see the scene she was voicing over and such) with the actor using a LAV mic. I think the baffles worked too well because the sound came out very flat with little I could do (short of re-recording the voice over) in my sound editing program.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.