Mon, Sep 9, 6:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Even More Genesis into Poser Madness!

rattletrap22 ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2016 at 4:47 AM · edited Sat, 07 September 2024 at 11:47 PM

I've spent the last three days of my vacation trying to import Genesis 2 characters, hair and props into Poser 11 (not Pro). Some of it works okay, but inevitably, most of the items cause Poser to freeze or crash. Has anybody had this problem? Is there a solution? Thanks!

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2016 at 9:01 AM

I answered this type of question in your other post but it's worth repeating here. As soon as you import Genesis 2 and ccontent into Poser, set the SubD in DSON to zero. Otherwise, Poser will slow to a crawl.

Kazam561 ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2016 at 10:41 AM

Thank you again Hborre!

The dust settled, thinking "what a fine home, at least for now" not realizing that doom would soon be coming in the form of a vacuum cleaner.

rattletrap22 ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 8:59 AM

Hborre, thanks. Now I get it! I was a little slow on the uptake. Again, thanks!

R_Hatch ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 10:04 PM

Better yet, switch DSON subd to -1 so you lose the ugly cage mesh surrounding it.

Vaskania ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2016 at 8:19 AM

R_Hatch posted at 6:18AM Sat, 19 March 2016 - #4261723

Better yet, switch DSON subd to -1 so you lose the ugly cage mesh surrounding it.

Was that how that was solved? That was an annoying bugger when I tried her in PP2014.

-----sig-----
Daz, Blender, Affinity, Substance, Unity, Python, C#

rattletrap22 ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2016 at 4:11 PM

I'm getting closer, I can feel it... Next question: Is rendering in P11 with Genesis characters and items much slower? I had a V4 character and a G2 character (and G2 clothing) in the same in a Firefly indirect lighting render with modest quality settings and hours later it was still rendering - never made it past a few inches of Indirect Light calculations and ultimately it simply never rendered. I cancelled out, replaced G2 and his clothing with M4 and his clothing, and an hour later I had a compete render. Given the difference in time, I suspect it was not an issue of heavy textures. Any ideas?

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2016 at 6:11 PM

If you are SubD'ing the figure back to it's original state, then rendering could take longer. The other alternative would be to convert the Genesis 2 figure to Poser Unimesh and SubD upon render. I don't know if this will improve rendering using Firefly, I haven't attempted to do a comparison.

rattletrap22 ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2016 at 10:07 PM

HBorre, I was under the impression (from a tutorial Daz put out) that you reduce Sub to zero while you are working on the scene, but switch back ( to 1) for rendering. Is this not so? Thanks!

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2016 at 10:57 PM

In order to take advantage of a smoother contour on the figure, the subd should be reset to 1. However, Poser does have it's own subdivision by converting the figure to Poser unimesh and either changing the subd in preview or during render. In this case, the subd'ing can be pushed up as high as 4 depending on your system. I can push it to 2 on my system, but Poser will post a warning if I go beyond 3. Resources can take a tremendous hit.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2016 at 11:14 PM

Just double checked app integrity with higher subd, DSON will allow subd up to 2, upper limit; Poser unimesh can exceed 4 in preview, but RAM takes a major hit and Poser will becomes none responsive. Three would be your upper limit for both preview and render.

rattletrap22 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2016 at 8:50 AM

H - When you speak of Poser's own subdivision, is this something Poser does automatically, or is it something I initiate? And how do I initiate it? And just to get a broader understanding for myself, you are saying that yes, Genesis slows render time. Basically, I'm looking for some decision making point. I like the Genesis characters and the far better clothing, but if they come at a cost (outside of purchase) of much higher render time, is it worth it. Thanks for all the replies and help!

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2016 at 12:22 PM

image.png

This is the Poser Skinning Method from the taskbar menu, the Poser Unimesh is highlighted. This is a manual setting, not an automatic procedure. Once it is selected for the figure, the following slider selection appear in your properties panel.

image.png

You can either select SubD levels for Preview or Render, typically I use Render SubD so I don't bog down system resources.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2016 at 12:30 PM

The notion of render timing is changing considerably, if you are willing to accept longer rendering for better imaging, go for it. If you want to render within a shorter time, then you will need to cut corners to achieve the best possible image. IDL settings will need substantial tweaking, texture maps may need to be reduced in resolution, use minimal lighting with more enviromental illumination. Deconstruct hires background objects and not use displacement mapping in everything. And if you are using Poser 1, then SuperFly might be a better option for rendering.

rattletrap22 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2016 at 1:59 PM

Now I'm getting it. Thanks so much for your help and going to the trouble of producing the mini-tutorial!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.