Sun, Sep 22, 2:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 9:12 am)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Anybody wanna build robots?

twillis ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 5:43 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:17 PM

Howdy again, all. I've been playing with an idea for modeling a new robot character, and wondered if it would be a good forum project. My idea is that anyone who is interested could model their own robot (or discuss one they've already modeled), but we'd all focus on modeling on portion at a time. Like one week, we could all be working on hands (or whatever our robot uses to manipulate stuff), and another week we work on the feet, and so on. At the end, we'd each have a completed and unique robot. It could be a could way to prompt some modeling discussions. Would anyone be interested in doing something like that? Or is it time for me to go soak my head again? --Terri

The 4th Party ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2001 at 6:37 PM

I think that's an excellent idea, it would be interesting to see the different concepts, and the way people acheived their results with various types of software. 4

twillis ( ) posted Sat, 06 October 2001 at 8:24 AM

Well, how about we give it a try then? If it's OK by everyone, let's start with the hands. Of course, it doesn't actually have to be hands. Let's say manipulators. Model something that would be used by your robot to pick stuff up, hold it, work with it, whatever.

binder ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 10:01 PM

file_218416.jpg

sounds like a really good idea....here's my model that I've been working on ( actually, I'm done with the legs, feet and torso, it's just that it would take a long time to render it all ).....and all I have to do now is the head....which I'm doing now as I speak/write....

How dare you speak to my sensei in that way!!  prepare yourself!

myGallery 

binder ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 10:02 PM

file_218417.jpg

for a better idea....

myGallery 

RenderBeast ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 1:47 AM

Good work binder. Look like a worrior robot.

comastalker ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 5:53 AM

really good

twillis ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 7:25 AM

Very, very cool bot, Binder. Mine's going to be more of a beginner level effort, I think. Perhaps you could go into a little detail on your modeling techniques. I'm going to post a bit of how-I-went-about-it in the Robot Hand thread. Would you mind adding some of the same, regarding your robot's hand? Trying to get some modeling discussions going here. Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope! OK, that was a bit dramatic. Sorry. Too much caffiene.

binder ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 10:42 AM

LOL...thanks guys for the comments...and don't worry about being a little dramatic man....I fully understand...we all getting like that sometime or another....about the hand though....let me say that you're in luck.....it isn't as hard as it seems....I'll try to throw an explanation about how I did it.....just let me know what exactly you would like to know....this way I wouldn't be giving anyone any un-wanted info.....PeaCe.... BTW....the software I'm using is Maya....but that should be a problem cause no special techniques was used....( it's all modified polygons primitive objects ).....

myGallery 

twillis ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 3:58 PM

Binder, I've posted some blab under the Robot Hand thread, discussing how I made the fingers. Maybe you could do something similar, just to get some modeling discussions going here. Also, I shouldn't tease RenderBeast because of a typo (I make enough of those myself), but I just have to say I like the idea of a worrier robot. Maybe I'll make one that bites its nails.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.