Sat, Oct 5, 8:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:08 am)

Subject: How Do I Setup Poser11 To Access A Faster Solid State Drive

gtrdon ( ) posted Fri, 22 July 2016 at 8:39 PM · edited Fri, 27 September 2024 at 12:32 PM

I heard that you can speed up Poser by assigning a faster drive to handle various tasks. I have purchased a 120G Solid State drive for my Windows 7 which is setup as an logical drive and I want to use it for my Poser11 program which is installed on my C drive. I would like to keep poser on that (C) drive but I would like to take advantage of the speed of the SSD. On Digital Audio Workstations, processed digital data can be sent to another drive from the application. Does Poser have this capability? Or am I stuck with programs host drive? Any Comments would be appreciated.

saibabameuk ( ) posted Sat, 23 July 2016 at 4:13 AM

IDEA Keep you Librarys in the external drive using your main drive as the poser 11 application. zen.jpg

Jules53757 ( ) posted Sat, 23 July 2016 at 9:23 AM

The only option I see is to set the path for temporarily files to the SSD (Edit - General Preferences - Misc.)

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Boni ( ) posted Sat, 23 July 2016 at 9:49 AM

Heck, unless the application insists on being on the main (C) drive I put the whole program on the external drive. Performance is so dependent on not crowding your C drives disc space.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Byrdie ( ) posted Sat, 23 July 2016 at 11:52 AM

I just put Poser on my C drive -- that's the SSD one -- and my runtimes are all on my non-SSD hard disc and a couple external drives. Working pretty well so far, then again I'm not into really big productions or animation so your mileage may vary.

gtrdon ( ) posted Sat, 23 July 2016 at 1:46 PM

In the past I used to install earlier versions Poser on another drive besides the C:, but as Poser matured I started having issues, especially with third party plugins,Python scripts and some of the data base (XML) files. Even Poser tech support recommended that I use the default setup C:Program Files.. and C:UsersPublicDocuments when weird issues would occur. I reinstalled Poser on C drive and these issues went away. So I will probably stick with the default set up. I am going to experiment with some of the other suggestions and that were made and see if I note any difference.

jura11 ( ) posted Sat, 23 July 2016 at 9:02 PM

Hi there

If yours Poser is already installed on non SSD then best will be or what I would do is transfer OS to SSD,please have look on several free tools like Clonezilla or have look on Paragon Migrate OS to SSD which is not free,but works beautifully for me

As usually all my programs are on C and never have such issue to put on other drive

You will gain going with SSD just due the faster booting time and launching the apps,I've all my runtimes on other HDD(3TB HDD) and loading the scene is pretty much fast and loading the figure doesn't take long,in my case my SSD is 1TB and second 480GB SSD I'm using as scratch disk for music or photoshop,third SSD is for OSX

If you want take advantage of SSD I would put Windows 7 there via above applications and you will just gain with that

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

ironsoul ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2016 at 3:51 AM

Both Windows and Linux support symbolic links, these work like shortcuts but at a lower OS level. You could use a symbolic link to remap directories to the SSD without reinstalling anything. So for example you could move the directory "C:UsersPublicPublic DocumentsPoser 11 Contentruntime" to your SSD and then create a symbolic link in "C:UsersPublicPublic DocumentsPoser 11 Content" called runtime that points to it. Poser will still see the files as being in the old location even though they have been moved. This command is called "ln" in Linux and mklink in Windows. Given the potential to lose data when moving folders about I would recommend testing any commands out on test files before doing it on anything which contains important data.

gtrdon ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2016 at 10:34 PM

Jura11 Thanks for the input. The main issue I have with transferring data from C:drive to a new drive is that while the transfer software may correctly move the programs and their associated files to the new ((SSD) drive. Many programs will look at the new hardware(drive) and flag the installation as unauthorized and required the user to reauthorize the license. This would not be a problem if it were not for the fact that they only allow a limited amount of authorizations. One program I have, I really like, told me after my C:drive crashed and I replaced it that I have used up all of my installations after this one. I have had this problem with other software. I believe this program is no longer available and don't want to loose it. I think your solution is workable and I will take your advice if I start a new system. Making the C drive a SSD is a good idea.

ironsoul The mklink is really a slick trick! It opens up a lot possibilities for other ideas too. I followed your instruction's and using the /J option I was able to move the Poser 11 Content runtime to my SSD and Poser operation did not complain. I tried it on a couple runtimes libraries The startup load directories seemed faster but when I when tied to load content form the libraries to the screen my timing showed about the same time for both the SSD and the Disk Drive. I am beginning to think that the files must be cached in the systems dynamic ram some how or I would see a big difference in the two. I even set my temp drive in the preferences to the SSD drive and render times did not seem to improve.

However, I do love the capability of setting up the symbolic links for runtime libraries. I will using this tip a lot for other applications.

Thanks If anyone has any more ideas I am all ears gtrdon

gtrdon ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2016 at 10:39 PM

I am still playing around with seeing what can be done to speed my Poser up. I and hopeful there will be more people willing to contribute to this forum with shared advice and experiences. Thank you Gtrdon

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.