Tue, Sep 24, 9:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 9:01 pm)

Subject: Macintosh users HELP! PLEASE

Atrice ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 6:00 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 9:30 PM

This has nothing to do with poser but I thought someone here might be able to help. I've been trying to download Predato2k"s Destiny figure for Poser in freestuff. It's a HUGE file 15.7mb. Well after an eternity my download manager (OS 9.0.4) had downloaded 13.7mb and said download complete even though, during the download it said the file size was 15.7mb. When I unzip the file all I get is an empty folder. When I try downloading it again it zooms through the download in seconds and stops at 13,7mb again, unzipping has the same result. I've tried deleting the file and emptying the browser cache but it makes no difference I just can't get past that 13.7mb barrier. I've had the problem before with smaller files but emptying the browser cache and downloading again has always sorted it in the past. Anyone got any suggestions?

JimX ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 6:27 PM

I've had this problem, too-- particularly with Internet Explorer. One solution is to try the dowload in Netscape. Another solution that has SOMETIMES worked for me is to CTRL-click on the filename in the download manager. A menu pops up that has an option at the bottom: it may either be "Reloae" or "Resume." Choosing this option sometimes gets the download to continue. - JimX

Atrice ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 6:43 PM

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I'd tried the reload button on the download manager, that didn't work either. I'll try using net scape, thanks for the suggestion! Atrice

MaterialForge ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 8:24 PM

A few more things to try: empty your cache files, delete all previous downloads of this file, and allocate more memory to IE. Also, you may want to restart before downloading, if you've been using a lot of apps the memory can get fragmented, and rebooting can help "clear it out" so to speak... Good luck!

swaughvt ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2001 at 8:38 PM

Hi I have had good luck using iGetter, a sharware program available at http://www.versiontracker.com. It comes in both OS 9 and OS X flavors, and both work really well with these "stubborn" files. Give it a try! If you are in IE and also have iGetter open, and then right click on the file to be downloaded in IE, you will see an option at the bottom of the menu called "downlaod in iGetter". Select this, and the file will start downloading in iGetter. Or you can copy the URL from the download manager window, and iGetter will open and start downloading the file. It seems able to hang onto the connection better than IE or other browsers. And if you loose your connection part way through the download, iGetter will restart the download as soon as you get back online. (For those of us with somewhat unreliable modem connections, or even husbands who pick up the phone and create havoc!) :-) Sandy

willf ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2001 at 12:22 AM

You might also try to download at some "ungodly" hour when there is less traffic on the net.

MartinC ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2001 at 3:00 AM

Attached Link: http://www.iCab.de/

And don't forget to try iCab... :-)

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2001 at 3:41 AM

you really should consider upgrading to 9.1 at least more stable

My website

YouTube Channel

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2001 at 9:11 AM

There are certain things that you must do on a regular basis: rebuilding your desktop, using a de-fragmentation software like Norton Utilities, and putting your machine through a PKRAM. All of these will not only increase your machines performance, theyll also insure that your files are fragmented across your hard drive. I dont know if your download has been affected by fragmentation or the inability of your server to handle any more than the 13.7 barrier. You might ask them as well. I use both IE and Netscape and have had no problems with files as large as 35 megs, so I suspect it may be a server problem more than anything else.

Atrice ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2001 at 3:20 PM

Phew! Thanks everyone that gives me a lot of options to try, just one thing , what on earth is a PKRAM? Also I've heard some reports that OS 9.1 isn't so great (some apps don't work to their full capacity, slow etc.) or is that just in tandem with OSX?

MartinC ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2001 at 4:11 PM

I don't think that any disk/system problem could show this result, although re-building the desktop (once a month) is always a good idea. Occasionally de-fragmenting is good as well, but if you have a HFS+ format, it's not really essential. I'm not sure if PKRAM has something to do with re-setting the parameter RAM - if this is true, then better don't do it. Only ever think about it, if it's your last chance to get back your Mac to life... To my experience, OS 9.0.4 is very stable (although not quite as 8.6), but 9.1 indeed very buggy - I have not tried 9.2 yet. Some people went straight from 9.0 to 9.1 and found it better, I would suggest to stick to 9.0.4 a bit longer. Finally (your real problem at last... :-) I agree with the people who said it must be either the cache or your ISP. Just how long is "in seconds"? If your connection speed could do it, it's probably your ISP. If it is too fast, it must be the cache. Have you tried iCab? I hope this won't start a flame war, but in my experience IE, NN and iCab have one thing in common: they all crash once. iCab once a week, IE once a session, and NN once a page... :-)

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2001 at 5:51 PM

PKRAM is holding down a sequence of keys right at start-up, waiting for the start-up chord to sound five times, then releasing. It resets a number of things in your system folder to factory specifications and is great for clearing out old memory sectors no longer in use. I do it by rote, so Ill have to look up the exact keys. Just now, I tried to remember what they were, and of course, couldnt think of what felt like the right combination.

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2001 at 5:52 PM

PKRAM is holding down a sequence of keys right at start-up, waiting for the start-up chord to sound five times, then releasing. It resets a number of things in your system folder to factory specifications and is great for clearing out old memory sectors no longer in use. I do it by rote, so Ill have to look up the exact keys. Just now, I tried to remember what they were, and of course, couldnt think of what felt like the right combination. Incidently, Ive not found any problem yet with 9.1. What programs seem to be affected?

MartinC ( ) posted Fri, 12 October 2001 at 2:09 AM

VirtualSite, the PKRAM "chord" indeed resets the parameter RAM (I have just confused it with a tool...) which is not recommended to be done frequently. There is also no problem with memory sectors. There is a very small number of third party hardware parts that might use some bits in it, and if you reset it you might even cause problems. So my general advice would be: Don't touch it, unless your Mac shows hardcore problems, like permanent mouse freezing, immediate startup crashes or uncontrollable permanent re-booting - that sort of thing. It's the final thing you could/should do yourself before you bring it to the repair folks. OS 9.1 seems to be a bit unstable in its general behaviour and clashes with a couple of system extensions - AdobeATM among the list. It was a bugfix release for OS-X (where it seems to run a bit better) but caused new problems without OS-X. OS 9.2 is said to fix both worlds, but I did not test it yet.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 12 October 2001 at 4:09 AM

I agree with virtual site what app s are problematic on 9.1?? i am running 9.1 on one drive and OS10.1 on the other and ALL OS9 of my apps run with no problems (Lightwave7, photoshop6, Cinema 4DXl7.poser etc) and of cousre My OSX native apps( Bryce5 etc are Ultra stable .

My website

YouTube Channel

Atrice ( ) posted Sun, 14 October 2001 at 11:52 AM

MartinC I actually replied to you several days ago but the system seems to have eaten it! I agree there must be a copy left in cache somewhere, I think it was a mistake to leave a copy of the file in the trash, my internet connection could never DL as fast as it appeared to! I'll have to empty it all again and retry, it's such a long DL that its all getting to be a bit of a pain! I'm going to try iCab and iGetter but guess what? I just tried to DL iCab and got the same problem, DLmanager said it was complete long before it actually was! My hard drive probably does need defragging but I've got no method of backing up yet and I'm worried about losing files, think I'll have to risk it though coz I didn't have these problems until recently. Thanks for all the help everyone. Atrice

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.