Sun, Oct 6, 6:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Wonderful new Windows scam. Now with voice!

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2016 at 4:04 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 4:41 AM

Got it today, a popout that even talks to me! The voice says the usual scam, and you get a number to call to had a "certified Technician" connect to your computer to "fix" it. Other than the voice you'll get on the phone sounds like he might have had more than a few months of English, it's still the same. I could have just closed the window because the yapping from my computer wouldn't shut up, but that's no fun. String it along as long as you can, I was a bit irritated so I cut him pretty short.

A few facts for those that may not have had a run in with these turkeys, Microsoft will never call you, there is no "central server", and once they get access to your computer, figure they're going to steal anything they can from you, then trash your machine. Those with a little "know how" can play along, just don't let these jerks get into your computer. They can't get there, your computer is not locked as they state, there's nothing wrong with it, yet. A few minutes after they're in it, there will be. Those that have virtual machines set up can let them in, but a virtual machine is one that doesn't exist except in the memory of your computer and anything they can do can be undone. Fun fun fun! If you get the popup, go ahead and call, waste some of their time. Just don't let them connect to you. If you don't want to, just close the window. Or close your browser and restart it. It's just a script they somehow sent you, and it will do nothing if you close it, it's gone.

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2016 at 4:25 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Heh, I can understand the fun to be had wasting their time but I also feel it to be a waste of my time and an intrusion. I am not the friendliest person on the phone to strangers at the best of times, so the one and only time I got a call from one of these clowns I said, "Fuck off and don't ever call me back". It worked, too. :)

Honestly, I really am the nicest guy you could ever meet, except when I'm not. :D

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2016 at 5:14 PM

I'm a nice guy too, Sam. But, I'm retired, the only one in the house, they want to put something in my computer like the popup, fine. Free entertainment. They want remote access, Uh-uh. But I'll talk as long as they stay on the line. Every minute they're trying to scam me is one minute they're not scamming someone else. Wish I'd written down the number though, I could have kept calling them back all day.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2016 at 6:49 PM · edited Wed, 09 November 2016 at 6:50 PM
Site Admin

Is it a toll-free number? I haven't got the popup but they have called. Once I told him I did computer repair for a living and he needed to give me his credit card number because I don't repair computers for free. He hung up first.

Thanks for the heads up on the pop-up

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2016 at 7:42 PM

I won't say which site I was visiting when I got it as it's a legit site and probably not their fault. Been getting full screen popouts, hiding behind the page I was looking at, and they looked like they were from Mozilla, except Mozilla doesn't use popouts that I know of, and their update notification is a small window, not full screen. I used to get the phone calls, guess they got tired of trying to get my computer that isn't on line to go to a remote service. My German is limited, and I'll let you guess how much I know, but theirs is nonexistent. But when they transfer me to a different "technician" I greet them with "Hi, Baka". They don't know that one either. Yup, numbers are toll free. They also change frequently, so getting a dead number means they changed it again. Fun fun fun!

ThunderStone ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2016 at 3:47 AM

Got quite a few "service" calls from these idijits and they tried that scam on me. I am a retired tech, web developer, designer, and programmer, which makes me one "super" stupid user. Anyway, I will play the befuddled fool with them til the end .... I told them point blank, this is a waste of my time and by now the CIA has traced the call. They had reached the New York City Division of the CIA, FBI Joint Anti Cyber Crime Unit.... By the time, I get to the word,"unit", there is a polite click on the other side. LOL,,,

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

vitachick ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2016 at 4:01 AM

I've had fun with them previously...Called them idiots and told them to get a real job..Cursing? Guilty..

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2016 at 4:54 AM

PrecisionXXX posted at 10:48AM Thu, 10 November 2016 - #4289509

I'm a nice guy too, Sam. But, I'm retired, the only one in the house, they want to put something in my computer like the popup, fine. Free entertainment. They want remote access, Uh-uh. But I'll talk as long as they stay on the line. Every minute they're trying to scam me is one minute they're not scamming someone else. Wish I'd written down the number though, I could have kept calling them back all day.

Having two young, noisy children - one with autism, t'other awaiting diagnosis, I guard my free time like a miser hoards gold. It's mine! Mine, I tell ye! Admittedly things are quieter round here in the daytime when the little darlings are at school but still...

A survey published recently - UK only - suggests that us older folks are less likely to be scammed than the young whippersnappers. Maybe there's something to be said for age begetting wisdom. Well, that and arthritis, grey hair, failing eyes...

My Store

My Gallery

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2016 at 9:09 AM

You could have a little fun with them. Give them all the information they ask for to a computer that's no longer connected to the internet. See how long before they realize you're jerking them around.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2016 at 10:16 AM

There are times when I wish I'd gotten into phone phreaking. Be a great opportunity to connect the scammers to GCHQ, or a similar establishment, maybe even the Pentagon. :D

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.