Thu, Sep 19, 9:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:35 am)

Subject: is it worth it?

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2016 at 11:07 AM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 7:11 PM

its been a very long time since I have been here but after seeing the offer of upgrading to poser 11 pro I thought Id come and ask....

is it worth it? I use DS now(I know I swore I wouldnt but...) and am wondering is it really worth me adding pp11 to my arsenal?

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission open.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2016 at 2:41 PM

I see no response but :Tja, only you can answer that question.

What do you do with DS? What version of Poser do you "have"? What will P11 add to your toolset?

Set yourself a "goal" and see if you need P11 or not?

I do not use DS and find P11 very nice to work with, and I do not ever use SuperFly. (THE big selling point for P11)

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2016 at 3:29 PM

Is it worth a carton of cigs ? absolutely.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2016 at 3:39 PM

Is it worth it? Yes, for me it is. Nothing DAZ or Studio does or has done has given me any reason to not continue buying it and using it. However, I suspect we use the program for vastly different reasons if your current program of choice is DS. I do HAVE DS (4.8), I just don't USE DS, unless I need it to convert something from Poser to DS. (What the hey, it was free and already in my product library.)

So, like Tony says, figure out what it is you want to do with the program, and that should give you your answer.

DarkElegance ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2016 at 4:45 PM

I use the programs for art(covers, commissions of rp charries, etc) use to use pp2012 but switched to DS and have been pretty happy. But I was just wondering if there was anything truly...unique or amazing about pp11 that would make it a "must have"

Commission open.

Boni ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2016 at 6:02 PM

IMO, it is worth it, as I understand there are useful features that DS doesn't as yet have. And you might want to go to SM's site and read up on the features ... There are a lot of perks beyond Superfly.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2016 at 6:24 PM

If you miss dynamic cloth and the morph brush, then go for it. If you can without the two of them, then maybe pass it by. Superfly is on par with Iray, so that's not a compelling reason to get it.

Laurie

Kendra ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2016 at 6:44 PM

I don't use Studio so I can't offer a comparison but I am really liking SuperFly.

...... Kendra

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2016 at 10:58 PM

what we do with the finale renders might be different but the concept of DAZ Poser. is exactly the same ,get premade stuff n render it.

the concept of unity n unreal. is exactly the same ,make game.

all the venders are making there materials for iray so u half to render in iray. Poser venders can do the same thing with SuperFly materials.

There chat how DAZ users use the morph brush.

I viewed your gallery DarkElegance I would think the better your renders the more clients you would get. So how do you get totally awesome Renders ?

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 12:44 AM

If you can't resist, do it now. It has never been that cheap.

LPR001 ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 12:45 AM

Use both. Depending on current the job you are working on and the feel of the project. Do you want 3Delight or Iray, Firefly or Superfly all have their qualities and if you are commercial the current offer from SM it is worthwhile to take it up.

- Johnny G

"Try animation to get things moving"

lpr001@renderosity.com

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 1:07 AM

LPR001 posted at 2:02AM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291159

Use both. Depending on current the job you are working on and the feel of the project. Do you want 3Delight or Iray, Firefly or Superfly all have their qualities and if you are commercial the current offer from SM it is worthwhile to take it up.

3Delight & Iray use different materials .venders are making Iray materials so 3Delight isn't viable for new stuff. So I guess it goes 3Delight for old stuff n Iray for new stuff.

Haven't herd any chat about Firefly n Superfly .Whats the rules for Firefly n Superfly ?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 7:35 AM

DarkElegance posted at 8:32AM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291135

I use the programs for art(covers, commissions of rp charries, etc) use to use pp2012 but switched to DS and have been pretty happy. But I was just wondering if there was anything truly...unique or amazing about pp11 that would make it a "must have"

I use Poser for art as well, but I also use it for content creation. Most of the content I create though is for Poser specifically, although I'm also trying to do props that can be used in DS as well.

DarkElegance ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 7:36 AM

RorrKonn posted at 7:34AM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291153

what we do with the finale renders might be different but the concept of DAZ Poser. is exactly the same ,get premade stuff n render it.

all the venders are making there materials for iray so u half to render in iray. Poser venders can do the same thing with SuperFly materials.

I viewed your gallery DarkElegance I would think the better your renders the more clients you would get. So how do you get totally awesome Renders ?

IN havent updated my gallery here in years. unfortunately my epilogue gallery just vanished so I cant really show you current work. https://twitter.com/Art_of_DarkEleg is the only place right now to see my current stuff. I do wish faster rendering. THAT is my number one concern right now.

Commission open.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 7:42 AM

RorrKonn posted at 8:35AM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291162

LPR001 posted at 2:02AM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291159

3Delight & Iray use different materials .venders are making Iray materials so 3Delight isn't viable for new stuff. So I guess it goes 3Delight for old stuff n Iray for new stuff.

Haven't herd any chat about Firefly n Superfly .Whats the rules for Firefly n Superfly ?

One of the reasons why Poser 11 was delayed in coming out was because the programmers were trying to make it a hybrid renderer of Cycles and Firefly. So the rules are:

1. Neither Cycles or Superfly textures will render in Firefly mode.
  2. Cycles will not render any textures made for Firefly.
  3. For the most part, Superfly will render most of Firefly textures and all of Cycles shaders. If something comes out black, Superfly cannot translate it. Check the log and it will tell you why so you can fix it.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 9:37 AM

Euh ! Corrections to Earls post

1. FireFly will render all textures ; Those for Cycles and or SuperFly. There's NO problem for textures. But Earl is correct that FireFly does not understand some of the newer nodes used in Cycles and SuperFly. => As an end user all you have to do is adapt the nodes to the render engine you will use.

2. Cycles and or Superfly WILL render ALL textures made for FireFly. => But here again, the end user some times has to adapt some of the nodes used..

3. This is correct. If your render gets in trouble check the log in the upper right hand corner and check in the advanced material room for dotted- line connections. That are the connections the render engine is in trouble with.

in brief, the textures will always render, but some of the nodes will have to be adapted to the render engine you will use.

Best regards, Tony

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 11:11 AM · edited Mon, 28 November 2016 at 11:13 AM

My mistake, Tony. I tend to use texture and shader/node interchangeably, which is wrong, I know.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 12:42 PM

DarkElegance posted at 1:30PM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291182

RorrKonn posted at 7:34AM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291153

IN havent updated my gallery here in years. unfortunately my epilogue gallery just vanished so I cant really show you current work. https://twitter.com/Art_of_DarkEleg is the only place right now to see my current stuff. I do wish faster rendering. THAT is my number one concern right now.

octangs a realtime render engine but I doubt it uses iray superfly materials.

don't know if it be easy or a major ordeal to convert the materials to work with octang

there's tricks to make iray superfly render faster. youtube has a iray speed video ,i'm sure plenty can tell u how to speed superfly up.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 12:49 PM · edited Mon, 28 November 2016 at 12:50 PM

tonyvilters posted at 1:44PM Mon, 28 November 2016 - #4291191

Euh ! Corrections to Earls post

1. FireFly will render all textures ; Those for Cycles and or SuperFly. There's NO problem for textures. But Earl is correct that FireFly does not understand some of the newer nodes used in Cycles and SuperFly. => As an end user all you have to do is adapt the nodes to the render engine you will use.

2. Cycles and or Superfly WILL render ALL textures made for FireFly. => But here again, the end user some times has to adapt some of the nodes used..

3. This is correct. If your render gets in trouble check the log in the upper right hand corner and check in the advanced material room for dotted- line connections. That are the connections the render engine is in trouble with.

in brief, the textures will always render, but some of the nodes will have to be adapted to the render engine you will use.

Best regards, Tony

Carry the .08791 n / by pi then * by phi n the rocket alt to land on mars or will maybe Jupiter's 5th moon ;)

Maybe I alt to get a easier hobby like rocket science ;)

tonyvilters ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 1:53 PM

Ach, don't worry.

Textures always work, and the nodes are just like road signs to get them to the render engines. Some speak English, some speak German, and some speak Japanese.

Just ask an Italian to order a beer in China with a hot potato in his mouth and speaking Spanish. LOL.

The node system is more like a bunch of translators to get the render engines to understand what to do.

It 's like an obj file. All the polygons are there, but they are "lost" without the UV_Map telling to the texture what texture part should go where.

LPR001 ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2016 at 4:15 PM · edited Mon, 28 November 2016 at 4:18 PM

Sorry for the late reply RorrKonn the others have weighed in.

• For the most part, Superfly will render most of Firefly textures and all of Cycles shaders. If something comes out black, Superfly cannot translate it. Check the log and it will tell you why so you can fix it.

Link

Edit. Put it this way Poser 11 Pro upgrade is well worth taking up for the extra added ability vs dollar value.

- Johnny G

lpr001@renderosity.com

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 29 November 2016 at 9:01 AM

What is the latest sale price?? If you already own at least poser pro 2014' then I would skip poser 11. I only keep pro 2014 installed because the brokerage where I sell my Genesis motion files Requires a poser version for genesis 2 via DSON.

Before spending even $30 or 40 dollars on an upgrade you might consider buying some useful plugin for daz studio like GEN2 or something else you may have been considering.

My website

YouTube Channel

wimvdb ( ) posted Tue, 29 November 2016 at 11:29 AM

wolf359 posted at 6:23PM Tue, 29 November 2016 - #4291315

What is the latest sale price?? If you already own at least poser pro 2014' then I would skip poser 11. I only keep pro 2014 installed because the brokerage where I sell my Genesis motion files Requires a poser version for genesis 2 via DSON.

Before spending even $30 or 40 dollars on an upgrade you might consider buying some useful plugin for daz studio like GEN2 or something else you may have been considering.

Since you do not have P11 you cannot really judge.

P11 has lots of improvements besides just the render engine. See <http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-whats-new.html

I think it is a worthwhile upgrade

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 29 November 2016 at 12:21 PM

No...it is not.?

My website

YouTube Channel

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 29 November 2016 at 12:35 PM

wimvdb posted at 1:33PM Tue, 29 November 2016 - #4291343

wolf359 posted at 6:23PM Tue, 29 November 2016 - #4291315

Since you do not have P11 you cannot really judge.

P11 has lots of improvements besides just the render engine. See <http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-whats-new.html

I think it is a worthwhile upgrade

I'm going to agree with Wolf, wim. He basically just said, he doesn't use it, so he has no need for it.

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 29 November 2016 at 3:06 PM

Unfair assessment, Wolf, you don't have it ... you can't judge it. You choose not to use it. THAT is fine. You have your preferences and needs, that is fine. But to judge something you have not used ... no. That is not fine. And is considered software trashing and not allowed here.

Boni

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 29 November 2016 at 4:32 PM

000-000.jpg

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 29 November 2016 at 4:44 PM

"its been a very long time since I have been here but after seeing the offer of upgrading to poser 11 pro I thought Id come and ask....

is it worth it? I use DS now(I know I swore I wouldnt but...) and am wondering is it really worth me adding pp11 to my arsenal?"

Boni... this is an opinion thread: Why I am not allowed to offer my opinion based on my assesment of the published new feature list and the renders I have seen from P11 users both have left me unimpressed....my opinion

Example: I have not used the New samsung Galaxy S7 however I may give my opinion about the value of its new features and retial price compared to my user experience with my current Samsung phone.

The same with poser 11 vs poser pro 2014 I am an animator Boni... please detail for me the new animation features in Poser 11 that make it worth $50 USD...for my usage

Please dont use trigger words like "Bashing" when I have not done any thing but give an opinion of the Features VS $cost$ solicited by the OP of this thread.

Thank you.

My website

YouTube Channel

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 29 November 2016 at 5:09 PM

I grant you your right to opinions but sometimes your language can be interpreted as more negative than opinion. Since others have felt this way, I just want to remind you. It is difficult for those who have and use the program with success and find value in it to consider the opinion of one who has never used it. I am sure you can see the frustration in this observation. Thank you for keeping your response civil and respectful. I do appreciate that.

Boni

LPR001 ( ) posted Thu, 01 December 2016 at 5:31 AM

For those that wish to continue using Poser and would like to see Poser soldier on then the upgrade is excellent value and throws some support for the team. I am primarily a Daz user of the two but never regretted the upgrade.

- Johnny G

lpr001@renderosity.com

bantha ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2016 at 6:12 AM

For me, Poser 11 is worth it.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2016 at 5:15 AM

I tried making some pics for my comic in DS but found the colours a bit washed out compared to making them in poser. I'm sure daz studio users would be able to point me to lots of toon pics that looked good, but to make a comic panel quickly that also looks good, when Im making thousands of panels, is far quicker and easier in poser for me. I too love the fitting room, cloth room and morph brush. I also like python script such as snarly's EZdome that make changing a dome image with matching sun and shadows, quick and easy.

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.