Fri, Oct 4, 12:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 1:56 pm)

Subject: Daz character history lesson

MatCreator ( ) posted Thu, 19 January 2017 at 9:23 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 8:59 PM

Could someone be so kind as to give me a brief hI story lesson on the Daz characters? I've been out the loop so to speak, v4 was the new hotness at the time, I don't follow the progression of the characters. Who is the basic male-female-child? Is that a Genesis figure? Are Michael 5 and Victoria 5 after v4 and m4, or are they the newest Genesis figures? What's the advantage of the Genesis figures, I mean, what are the new features they sport and how does that work in Daz Studio? I donto seem to be able to load them in Carrara =( Are the newest editions just extra morphs? Is the mapping the same across all versions?

Sorry....... it has been a long time and I have a ton of catching up to do...

Thanks =)

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 19 January 2017 at 10:23 PM

I will give you a brief history of the more recent figures. Post V4 and M4 there was Genesis. Meant to be a true unimesh, some people had trouble making them work as more distinct genders. Then came Genesis 2. Both of those work in Poser (and I think Carrara) to a certain degree. The Genesis 2 figure had a gender split again. Then came Genesis 3. It followed suit with the gender split.

That being said, each level of Genesis has a Michael and Victoria release. Genesis has Michael 5 and Victoria 5, etc. They are characters derived from the Genesis base.

The mappings vary slightly from genesis level to genesis level with Genesis 3 being the most different from earlier mappings. With each level, bending improves. Genesis 3 has a face rig and more controls for expressions.

I am falling asleep but that might give a basis.

Genesis 3 is the most recent base. It has Michael and Victoria 7 as the main characters, with many siblings.

MatCreator ( ) posted Fri, 20 January 2017 at 11:21 AM

I dont see a V7 or M7 option. I imagine these are not included with the Studio package and must be purchased, I havent poked around enuff...

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

wheatpenny ( ) posted Fri, 20 January 2017 at 12:07 PM · edited Fri, 20 January 2017 at 12:08 PM
Site Admin

Yes. all the Mike, Victoria, Stephanie and other characters for Genesis are sold separately. Only the Genesis 1,2 and 3 bases are included free with Daz Studio.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

MatCreator ( ) posted Fri, 20 January 2017 at 8:35 PM

So is the basic male-female-child a character/morph from the Genesis line? Where in the progression is that? I did poke around the store a bit. Overwhelming to say the least after a short vacation.

jojo8026 ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 1:36 AM

Genesis 4 is coming sometime this year, cant wait!!! :D

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 3:19 AM

jojo8026 posted at 10:15AM Mon, 23 January 2017 - #4295696

How do you know? There's a lot possible this year, given it's the beginning of the year. So if you have any links, please. I'd be very curious, for the gen3 figures are best at the moment. I'd be excited to have more information about Gen4 figures.

MatCreator ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 6:00 AM

That goes without saying, Its early in the year, maybe 5 will be released just in time for Christmas, lol

The evolution of figures and characters, and for my purposes, I'm still good with the "Poser" base figures.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 8:28 AM

-Timberwolf- posted at 8:27AM Mon, 23 January 2017 - #4295700

jojo8026 posted at 10:15AM Mon, 23 January 2017 - #4295696

How do you know? There's a lot possible this year, given it's the beginning of the year. So if you have any links, please. I'd be very curious, for the gen3 figures are best at the moment. I'd be excited to have more information about Gen4 figures.

It's a guess, based on the past frequency of figure releases (roughly once every two years for the most part, the fourth generation being an obvious exception).

Grey_cat ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 1:42 PM

MatCreator,

Try this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/64403/converting-to-g1-g2-and-g3/p1 I think it should help.

MatCreator ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2017 at 9:53 PM

As far as any future releases goes, I was joking, being sarcastic over the possibility of the next upgrade, my apologies if I misled you.

As far as that thread, she laid it out pretty slick. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

MatCreator ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2017 at 3:35 PM

one more side question, i want to make sure... I see they have characters for characters, is that correct? Victoria 7 is from the Genesis 3 Female, but then I see they have characters made (or listed rather) for Victoria 7. Are these compatible with Genesis 3 Female? Wouldnt ANY character for Victoria 7 be for Genesis 3 Female?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2017 at 8:29 AM

MatCreator posted at 8:28AM Thu, 26 January 2017 - #4295908

one more side question, i want to make sure... I see they have characters for characters, is that correct? Victoria 7 is from the Genesis 3 Female, but then I see they have characters made (or listed rather) for Victoria 7. Are these compatible with Genesis 3 Female? Wouldnt ANY character for Victoria 7 be for Genesis 3 Female?

The shape will probably require the Victoria 7 shape to look as the creator intended. For Genesis 3 most creators have been using the default UVs, so the textures should work correctly (this isn't always the case, and certainly wasn't reliably the case for Genesis 2 and Genesis).

MatCreator ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2017 at 9:29 AM

So v7 is made from the same mesh but has different uv'S? Is this the case for m7 as well?

Talk about shake the money tree, lol

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2017 at 1:44 PM

V7 is a set of morphs, as are all the other characters. Any of the UV's should work among them, at least I haven't had any problems. The issue is if you buy a character that needs the morph from a particular member of the family to look like the promo. IE, a character based on V7 morphs won't look right if you don't have V7.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2017 at 3:06 PM

In general yes, the Name-number characters have unique UVs to avoid stretching. As I said, for Genesis 3 few if any add-ons require the UVs even if they are "for" that base character.

MatCreator ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2017 at 4:13 PM

I think I understand. V7 is like a morph, so a v7 character is a morph based off a morph?

Is there a benefit to that? Now I'm just curious... technically speaking (and im not the technical type) wouldn't the final morph contain the info of the first, as to "bypass" the need for the/a second morph?

I do appreciate the info and feedback, thanks

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2017 at 9:01 AM

The second morph should be additional to the base - the preset would apply the Victoria 7 shape and the custom sculpt (or other stock morphs) needed to create the final shape. That's why I said that using the character without having the base character used would not give you the shape the creator intended. In Daz Studio the morph loader has an option to "Reverse Deformation" which makes it easy to sculpt on top of a pre-existing shape (or pose) and then subtract those leaving only the custom sculpting.

jestmart ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2017 at 9:04 AM

The numbered characters like Victoria 7 often have their own UV mapping and a character built off of them may need that UV mapping for its textures to work.

MatCreator ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2017 at 2:43 PM

But "why"... The final shape can be made/sculpted regardless of the "in-between" steps, I'm curious as to the benefit.

hope i am not coming off as a smartass (or a dumbass), im just curious, all this genesis stuff is new to me.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2017 at 7:02 AM

Presumably people do it because they like the starting point.

MatCreator ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2017 at 1:42 PM

New to me, but ok. Makes sense...

Well, my opinion prolly comes too late, but I do like the render quality of the new studio. Also, just playing with Genesis 3 they're pretty awesome, bend more naturally. Still getting used to it but I'm very impressed. I imagine the new Genesis features are native to studio, I'd like to use them in Carrara.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2017 at 1:58 PM

Carrara does not, at least currently, support the Dual Quaternion skinning method used by Genesis 3 I'm afraid.

MatCreator ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2017 at 2:10 PM

I figured as such. No biggie...

Well, yeah, but you know. Can't miss what you never had, lol

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.