Mon, Oct 21, 4:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:29 pm)

Subject: Blonde Hair Renders White or Grey with iRay

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2017 at 2:13 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 3:50 PM

So far, it seems no matter which hair I use, the blonde texture renders to look white or gray with iray and an environment map. I tried other HDR images - it still looks white/grey.

bhoins ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2017 at 3:31 PM

Three possibilities.

1. The texture isn't loading properly. (Check on the surface pane to make sure the texture is loaded.)
  2. The lights are too strong. Make sure your lights (Light parameters) are not too bright, to include your HDRI (Under Render settings) and your Tone mapping is correct for your lighting. (Render pane.)
  3. The gamma setting on the texture is wrong. (Surface pane on the texture texture editor.)

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2017 at 7:56 PM

1 I checked. 2 - There are no lights except the Environment Dome. Not sure about tone mapping. I will check it.

1. Not sure - I will check and try some other settings. You mean for the hair? It's the default when I apply the iray texture.

bhoins ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2017 at 10:54 AM

flibbits posted at 9:52AM Sat, 28 January 2017 - #4296080

1 I checked. 2 - There are no lights except the Environment Dome. Not sure about tone mapping. I will check it.

1. Not sure - I will check and try some other settings. You mean for the hair? It's the default when I apply the iray texture.

Default is not necessarily correct, unfortunately. Tone mapping is likely your most likely culprit. Since you are using an environment dome, is it visible?

On the side of your render pane is a little expansion box. Open that, and if your dome is visible, you can adjust tone mapping during a render without losing progress of your render. You can even do it once the render is complete. Then you will know if ti is the tone mapping or not.

flibbits ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2017 at 11:01 AM · edited Sat, 28 January 2017 at 11:02 AM

Double checked: the texture is loaded, and the HDRI light (environment is on. No idea how to check tone mapping.

No idea how to check gamma setting on the texture.

I saw that while base color was set to the proper texture, all the other settings that include an image file were set to the white texture. I changed them all to blonde, but it still looks white in render. For all other colors (in this case using Fraser Hair), base color is the image for the hair color (black, red, brown, etc.) while the other settings like Glossy Layered Weight use the white texture. Those all look OK in render: black looks black, brown looks brown, red looks red. But blonde looks white.

I am adding the hair, then applying the iray material. No settings are changed from default. There are no lights except the environment map HDRI source.

flibbits ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2017 at 12:00 PM

"On the side of your render pane is a little expansion box. Open that, and if your dome is visible, you can adjust tone mapping during a render without losing progress of your render. You can even do it once the render is complete. Then you will know if ti is the tone mapping or not."

Render settings? I see tone mapping in there - adjusted some of the settings for test renders. Still the hair looks white instead of blonde.

I can't change those settings during a render.

bhoins ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2017 at 6:53 PM · edited Sat, 28 January 2017 at 6:54 PM

On the window with the render itself. Left side, about halfway up. Small rectangular button.

Render.jpg

flibbits ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2017 at 11:52 AM

There is no such button in my render window. Is that a feature of 4.9? I use 4.8.

snakegrab ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2017 at 10:17 AM

I had what appears to be a similar problem with blonde hair rendering very light in Iray. I was using Fantasy hair by 3DUniverse. I experimented with some of the texture settings and when I changed the Base Mixing option from "PBR Specular/Gosssiness" to "Weighted" I ended up with something that looked more reasonable.

flibbits ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2017 at 2:29 PM

I'll give it a try.

SpaceMadness ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2017 at 4:40 PM

Oh really? I'll check that out too. Having the same problems with all blonde hairs and Iray, no matter what kind of light, no matter what kind of hair (yes, iray shaders in use). Basically I'm fixing those things with Photoshop after rendering right now. But I'm having problems with Iray in general. Some scenes have been ended up OK, after several hours of clicking random stuff.. In a scala from 1 to 10 where 1 is easy and 10 is hard, I would give Iray a 15. To compare, Hollywood Standard render engine (Arnold) would be around 3

flibbits ( ) posted Thu, 16 February 2017 at 1:42 AM

" I experimented with some of the texture settings and when I changed the Base Mixing option from "PBR Specular/Gosssiness" to "Weighted" I ended up with something that looked more reasonable...."

Where is that found?

snakegrab ( ) posted Thu, 16 February 2017 at 10:02 AM

You can find it on the surfaces editor tab. (See attached)

Capture.PNG

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 16 February 2017 at 2:21 PM

snakegrab posted at 2:21PM Thu, 16 February 2017 - #4297679

You can find it on the surfaces editor tab. (See attached)

If the Iray Uber Base shader is applied.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.