Sun, Oct 6, 6:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Newbie to Blender - ex Lightwave user - question on materials library

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2017 at 5:34 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:35 AM

I am trying Blender and skipping around tutorials. I did an intro to blender modelling which made a cup, plate and donut so thats started.

I am having trouble coming to terms with materials. I understand I think that the internal render engine and cycles use different material.

I learned that you can link materials from another blend file. I have been collecting materials that are free as I find them. I have a script for Daz Studio to Blender that seems to work quite well.

It seems , and I hope I am wrong, that you have to load materials for eacg scene and there is no central materials library that you can use in any scene.

What am I missing ?

thanks for any help.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2017 at 10:41 PM

Blender Internal and Cycles are two different render engines for Blender. Cycles is newer, more advanced and more commonly used. Blender does not come with any "pre-built" Cycles material libraries if that's what you are asking. It does come with the base shaders needed to create any material you can imagine, but it would be up to you the user to build your own materials from scratch or to accumulate material libraries from other sources. Fortunately, there are many tutorials out there to show you how to create just about any material you could want in Cycles from scratch, or you can download materials from any of the repository sites. Some materials are free, but some are paid. Here's a few links:

150 Free Cycles Shaders - Blender Nation https://www.blendernation.com/2015/09/29/150-free-cycles-shaders/

BlendSwap - You can find both materials and blend files for download here http://www.blendswap.com/

Cycles Material Vault - NOT a free resource, so I will not directly link to the site but if you're willing to join they do have some very good Cycles materials. https://www.cyclesmaterialvault.com/

The meta-androcto is a material library collected for Cycles from the community on Blendswap. You must log in to download. http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/56470

Hopefully this will help get you started.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2017 at 12:25 AM

I think LuxXeon completely covered it: there is some work being done on a centralised material library component of sorts, but it has been ages in the making and is still not ready for prime time. I've sort-of written a python script for painting very, very, VERY basic 'shaders' on V4, Antonia and others, but it is still quite rough and the shaders are more of a proof-of-concept thing rather than very usable of themselves. I guess I was trying to see if I could do it, but got bogged down by my day job. 😜

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2017 at 12:27 AM

Thanks, I have been getting some stuff from Blenderswap/ What I am missing is how when I start a new scene can I have those materials available on the materials drop-down. I am linking them as I require them.

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2017 at 12:52 AM

OK, I found a tutorial that might work. I will give it a ret and see. At the moment I have about 50 materials for cycles but that meant 50 blend files to link every time I open Blender.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2017 at 7:29 AM
Forum Moderator

Yes I agree LuXxeon covered all the ways and from your second question about having those material available to use with in a scene you are working on you would have to append the current file you are working on with the materials from another file here is a tutorial on how to create your own material library that might be useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UpAaGa25Ug Good luck and let us know how it works out

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 05 May 2017 at 5:22 AM

markschum posted at 8:14PM Fri, 05 May 2017 - #4304289

OK, I found a tutorial that might work. I will give it a ret and see. At the moment I have about 50 materials for cycles but that meant 50 blend files to link every time I open Blender.

Yikes! You might want to make your own library. Instead of doing a link, I'd be appending and assigning the material to, say, a vertex group or mat zone of some mesh: you could give the mat zone or vertex group a similar name to the material in that .blend. (I know, not a very clear explanation). I guess what I'm driving at is that you'll be able to multi-select shaders and materials from one "object" to link or append to your new project.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

incantrix ( ) posted Sat, 06 May 2017 at 12:46 AM

What I have been doing lately to build my library up is just typing into google what I'm looking for and then blender node set up or blender material setup etc. And then opening the images page, which has a lot of screen shots that people have people have posted with different variations of the material. Then build the setup myself which I find better than linking from someone else's source that I d/loaded. As I can see what each node does as I plug it in and how it effects the model as I build it up to the desired result. If I like what I have done then save it out as a blend file.

Incantrix

keppel ( ) posted Sat, 06 May 2017 at 9:31 AM · edited Sat, 06 May 2017 at 9:32 AM
Online Now!

Here are some options if you are looking to have a reusable material library. Blendermada is a free online material library and the Cycles Material Vault and Asset Manager need to be bought. Cycles Material Vault comes with its own Material Library browser and the Asset Manager is a management system that allows you to add your own materials to a material library.

My Renderosity Store
Virtual Furnishing
My Portfolio

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.