Sat, Sep 7, 8:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 6:48 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Best wording

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 9:22 PM · edited Wed, 21 August 2024 at 3:18 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I'm writing a fantasy story that takes place mostly on another world. There they use the term race to refer to elves, humans, trolls, etc. The kingdom is isolated, and where the humans there were originally refugees, they are all Caucasian looking. Recently, some of the non-humans met a human of Asian descent and were trying to understand why she looked different. Someone who was familiar with our idea of races (i.e., Caucasian, Asian, African, etc.) was trying to explain it to them. I had originally used sub-race since most of the synonyms given in thesaurus don't seem to fit. But then I wondered if that made it seem like I was implying that different races might be sub-human (which was not my intent) Does it sound that way or is there a better term to use?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

wheatpenny ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2018 at 10:07 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

How about "ethnicities"?

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2018 at 9:24 AM · edited Sat, 17 March 2018 at 9:27 AM
Forum Moderator

Nice one, Wheaty! In the UK, I've heard other races refered to as 'Ethnics', though mostly in the derogatory sense.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2018 at 10:38 AM
Site Admin

In biology, a species (abbreviated sp., with the plural form species abbreviated spp.) is the basic unit of biological classification. Race refers to a person's physical characteristics, such as bone structure and skin, hair, or eye color. ... Your race is determined by how you look while your ethnicity is determined based on the social and cultural groups you belong to. Subrace, Noun, (plural subraces) (biology) A secondary or subsidiary race. (as in Cro-Magnons to Neanderthals).

Therefor: Humans are a species with many racial variants, often based on location the race originated and adapted to survive the local environment.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

PandaB5 ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2018 at 3:17 AM

Caucasus is a mountain range and region in Russia. The first person to classify people used the people from that area as a model - Caucasian had "sharp" noses and a light skin then Mongolian had more flat noses... The actual classification stems from those times - you could probably find the history somewhere, I read it when I was editing a documentary some time ago.

In Africa, referring to Africa as a race is insulting. We're a mixture of very different people who live on this continent and not all are black. Consider that Egypt is in Africa and Egyptians are also Africans. The American habit of referring to themselves as African-American doesn't go over very well in my country - with anyone. I am African, nobody in my country would dispute that. I don't have dark skin.

In South Africa where we openly recognise and talk about race as our history made it a big issue which we're still struggling to solve - we openly and without prejudice refer to people as Black, White, Asian, Indian, Coloured. Asian would be people that come from China, Japan etc. Indian would be people who come from India, Pakistan, Syria Arabian countries. White would be ex-Europeans, black would be Africans and coloured is mixed race and Cape Malay. A South African would be able to tell the difference and we have a hard time explaining the concept of "coloured" to other people. But you could look up Trevor Noah who is a South African comedian working in USA - he makes a lot of jokes about this situation.

You could always make up your own word - for example call it Zing - we're a different Zing and then explain that.

Casual games for Windows PC, browsers and Android devices
https://www.evolutionarycasualgames.com/

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2018 at 4:14 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Thanks for the replies. Definitely, things to think about. I think I'll be rewriting the explanation, but I'm not sure how yet.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.