Wed, Sep 18, 2:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Virtual World Dynamics

Welcome to the Virtual World Dynamics Forum

Virtual World Dynamics F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 1:40 pm)

Subject: Cache files in Daz Studio.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2018 at 10:04 AM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 2:24 PM

Hello,

I work regularly on new hair. These new hair sold at Daz3d or Renderosity have a lot of vertices. Even if you use the base resolution version of the hair, the vertices count is higher than 200,000 vertices, sometimes higher than 300,000.

With a fine definition of the settings in VWD all these hair can be simulated. I always try to stay below 20,000,000 springs for a simulation. Currently, this asks some tests but I always found a solution. A new function which records directly the springs, allows to load a complex dynamic element in some seconds.

I have a 1080 Ti graphic card. It is a current reference for people who works in 3D area. Using this card, a complex simulation runs approximatively at 1 frame per second. 600 frames = 600 second ie 10 minutes. This time is correct for a complex simulation.

The real issue comes when the simulation is finished and when you press on the "Send animation to host" button. If the file is more than 2Go, this transfer will take several hours.

Philippe (Philemot) made the best choice for this importation using a fully compatible method. But, would it be interesting to import the animation (simulation) using another way. In all cases, a file has been recorded during the simulation. It is currently in .DYN format (Poser).

My question is: Do you think it would be interesting to import the simulation using 2 different methods with a choice:

• The current method which is fully compatible with Daz Studio.
  • A new method allowing in Daz Studio to read the cache file files generated by VWD.

There is another method: Send many asks to the Daz Team to include the ability to read a cache files in Daz Studio.

Tell me your ideas on this.

Follow me on Twitter : @VWDynamics

Watch demo videos on Youtube

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2018 at 10:13 AM

Hello,

I am surprised no one writes a post in this thread.

Personally, I don't like to wait 3 or 4 hours the animation is transfered into Daz Studio. For me, the only responsible is Daz Studio, not the bridge.

But the result is here, we need to wait.

I just wrote an new function which allows to save the animation in files readable by a script. When the simulation is finished, you just have to save the animation in the new mode. In Daz Studio, you can launch the script which will modify the actor when the timeline changes. This action is not fast, but you can record a complete scene with a clothe and hair, for example, and play it by launching two scripts. This allows to make a render without to wait a lot of time.

Please, tell me if you want to have this feature in the next version.

Have a great day.

GĂ©rald

npayn ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2018 at 12:56 AM

Bonjour Gerald, It would be nice to have a second choice in regard to SEND ANIMATION TO HOST.

Users do tend to stick to what they know, so tend to just use one option even when given an alternate. Getting users to understand which option gives them the best result is difficult. I know I do not read manuals as much as I should. Like most people I like the smug satisfaction that comes from thinking I know how something works without reading the manual (ignorance is bliss 😁 ).

The DAZ team has their own priorities, as example the BVH import and export functions were faulty when I first used DAZ many years ago and it is still faulty as at v4.10 so it may be difficult to get an additional feature added.

If I understand your proposed READ CACHE method correctly I think it would be good to have a method that progressively transfers the animation to DAZ. An additional advantage of that would be that if the simulation crashes then not all would be lost. The disadvantage may be that if the total thread task load is the same then this would imply that it would slow down the simulation. I suspect that it would also slow down the simulation even when sourced from POSER (and not from DAZ).

Je vous remercie (please excuse my google French)

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sun, 13 May 2018 at 2:25 PM

Hello npayn, merci pour votre excellent français.

I wrote the transfer from VWD to Daz Studio using compressed text files and a script. The size of these files are the same as a binary file. It is a great news.

You can now make several simulations without saving them and then transfer these simulations to Daz Studio or Poser to make the render. For Daz Studio, a script is written at the same time as the displacement files. This script allows to read the file corresponding to the Daz studio timeline.

There is another advantage to this method. It allows to create very huge files with a size greater than 2 GBytes. Currently, with hair having more than 300,000 vertices and a simulation with 1000 frames, the file is not transferable to Daz Studio. In all case, the time necessary to transfer such a simulation would take more than 4 hours. With the script this transfer takes some seconds.

This method will be usable in the next version with some explanations.

Have a fine day.

GĂ©rald

npayn ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2018 at 1:43 AM

Merci Gerald, Google a un excellent français. Je coupe et colle bien.

S'il vous plaßt excuser mon retard à répondre. 3d est ma relaxation a donc céder à toutes les autres priorités.

Your solution is very interesting. I look forward to using it when it is ready.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2018 at 3:25 PM

Merci pour votre réponse npayn.

I certainly will compile this version in the coming days. I will send you the version as soon as it will be ready.

Passez une bonne journée.

GĂ©rald

Writers_Block ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2018 at 10:58 AM

I think it sounds great; the issue is getting it added to studio.

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2018 at 5:24 PM

Hello Writers_Block,

There is no issue. I added it to Daz Studio. You just have to start a script created in VWD and the clothe/hair deforms itself depending on the simulation made with VWD.

itou31 ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2018 at 3:26 AM

Hi GĂ©rald, I faced to this "long transfer" for hair simulation back to DAZ. I playing currently with the GPU version you sent me. It works great with G8F. Is the script ready ? thanks

VirtualWorldDynamics ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2018 at 5:57 AM

Hello itou31, yes, the function is ready. I will send you a new version. This function will need some explanations.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.